Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a case of Top Ramen Noodles. My daughter showed me different recipes on the internet, using different flavors of broths like fish, chicken, beef and vegetable. Than add different ingredients like tofu, shiitake mushrooms or any mushrooms, vegetables, green onions, shrimp, crab, clams, smoked salmon, spinach, spices, hot sauce, boiled, eggs, etc., you really don't cook anything you just add boiling water. Quick river meal, I know I'm a steak and potato person myself too. This is suppose to be heart healthy also. I'm going out tomorrow and acquire a few of these ingredients. This picture is off the internet, looks good.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
dang! that looks great!, I tried something like that for dinner tonight, but it was not a big hit with my littles... big hit with the bigs though...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
teaspoon of this...

dang! that looks great!, I tried something like that for dinner tonight, but it was not a big hit with my littles... big hit with the bigs though...
Add a teaspoon or two of this rice seasoning to your bowl before adding the hot water, it add's a great flavor to the broth and brings all the flavors together too. Most supermarkets carry one brand or another of this type of seasoning by the oriental products.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I was in the supermarket line between two groups of people prepping for the coronaviruspocalypse. (and my wifey and I had 2 6-packs of beer, a loaf of bread, and a bag of potatoes).

Checker dude told the guy in front of me to add three (but no more!) drops of sesame oil to his ramen to enhance the flavor. Prepping dude was like "WTF?!" and I was taking mental notes.

I too enjoy a good ramen bowl. Excellent "had a shitshow on the river and late to camp" or "took a swim and need hot broth" or "midnight and I have the drunk munchies" food.

You can add a ton of flavors and textures

• Runny fried egg, soft-boiled or poached egg
  • Steak strips
  • frozen precooked shrimp
  • Cilantro
  • Basil
  • bean or alfalfa sprouts

I hadn't thought of smoked salmon or crab. Thanks Raymo. There are also some good vacuum-sealed foil options for tuna.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MT4Runner, went to the grocery store and purchased a big leg of Alaskan King Crab with a claw, combined it with the Ramen Noodles, chopped green onions, fish broth, sliced Shitake mushrooms, spinach, red pepper flakes and bamboo shoots. Yes, a big bowl, I could only eat half, I will eat the rest later on tonight. I'm starting to feel healthier already. It keeps me away from roast beef, gravy and butter filled mashed potatoes. I hope this virus thing doesn't ruin river rafting this year, especially with spring run off right around the corner for all you guys.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so I purchased 3 gallons of Coleman fuel, freeze dried backpacking meals, different can goods coffee, sardines, beef stew, soups, dog food, etc. tea, coco, nuts, candy and papper towels, freeze already had meat products. I'm all good on first-aid supplies, bullets, stoves, lanterns, batteries. I did not go overboard on any one thing. My kids are great, neighbors and friends are all good, picked up a few items for them also. All the fun shit is closed or going to be. Just be careful and play it safe is the name of the game for know, is what I'm thinking and to help each other.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crown Royal.....

That's one reason to "overstock" on alcohol.
My neighbor said he bought enough Crown Royal for this virus and the next 5 new virus to come down the pipeline for all of us, people helping others, I'm all in.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Made Chili for tonight.

Protein of your choice, PB sauce, and crushed peanuts with the ramen. maybe with a little of that stockpile of Crown???

Have only ever had the store bought PB sauce, but this recipe looks good and fairly simple.
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/peanut-sauce-51149020
Thank you for that recipe, I whipped up some chili for tonight though. I have all the ingredients for the PB sauce, not fresh but should work fine for now, till things calm down. I have some pork that I will skewer with some pineapple and peppers, than cover with the peanut butter sauce, I will probably add a little Tabasco sauce to add some kick to it.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so after 9/11, World Trader Center incident, that really screwed everything up, big time, a couple of my neighbors and I were discussing different survival situations and came to the conclusion that water was one of the most important item for a survival situation. So we each purchased three 55 gallon water barrels, well after that I kept mine, for what reason I really don't know. Well I'm glad I did, another situation I didn't think would ever happen, this virus situation, beyond my wildest dreams. Long story short, I filled all three barrels up a few days ago. I guess better safe than sorry is my thought. Not paranoid just cautious. If I end up, not needing the water I can purchase Gold Fish and make aquariums out of them. Never say never I guess. PS, I was based in Newark during the 9/11 incident and had arrived from St. Thomas the day before, on Monday the day before 9/11 and parked my aircraft at terminal A, same terminal the hijackers border the United and American airlines aircraft. I commute back to Denver on Monday the the day before the hijackings. Friends called early in the morning and woke us up, Sandy answered and they asked whether I was home or not, because an airplane just hit the World Trade Center. I thought to myself do they think I'm that bad of a pilot. Than a short time later they were discussing hijackings on the news.

·
Super Moderator
4,121 Posts
Some of the good news is that keeping the water flowing from our taps is one of the essential tasks that is exempt from lockdown requirements.

Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency Labels “Water and Wastewater” work essential to critical infrastructure

I was channeling my inner prepper a few weeks ago and thought a bit about this stuff. My conclusion is that they'll be able to keep water and electricity flowing, & gas at the pumps. That said, if it makes you feel better to top off those water jugs in the shed it sure can't hurt anything...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya, Andy as you know the talk back than was insurgents tainting the water supply's and targeting our power grids and stores sold out of electric generators and other supplies. This is a different situation than the 9/11 problem for sure, just a different insurgent. I will trade you water for toilet papper, though. As you remember more great lives were lost in one day back than, than this virus has claimed to this day in the USA, hope we have no more loss.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So today I fried some Jalapeno Spam I discovered at the grocery store and cubed it up first thought. Than I mixed in a can of refried beans and chopped onions, made a killer burrito and topped it with graded sharp cheddar cheese and salsa. My next creation, I'm going to slice some Jalapeno Spam up and saute it with ginger, brown sugar, soy sauce and sesame seed oil, lightly fry it and place it into a bowl of Ramen noodles with some vegetables and some Shitake mushrooms. I'd go outside but I can't squeeze through my outside door with all this eating and sitting.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Yum, fried Spam! It is always along on a river trip

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Hormel Foods Corporation made the first batch of Spam in 1937.

At the rate people are eating it during the shutdown, they have made plans to produce the second batch!

raymo, ever make a Loco Moko? Hawaiian plate lunch favorite:

2 scoops sticky rice
1-2 slices fried spam
2 runny eggs
brown gravy over the whole thing

Better on the river or when you're burning calories. But..right now? Um...

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Thanks, MT4Runner for suggesting...Loco Moko, also a river trip staple!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That sounds good to me too

Thanks, MT4Runner for suggesting...Loco Moko, also a river trip staple!
I'm going to try MT4Runner's recipe. How you doing in AZ? Sandy fell and dislocated her shoulder so she is staying with our daughter, she wanted to stay with me, I told her no because she would take twice as long cooking my breakfast, lunch and dinner with one arm, can you see her trying to open my beer's for me with just one hand, she would spill. No, Jen wanted her to come over. She will come over in about a week or so.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
AZ is good, getting a lot done on the house, days go quickly. So sorry to hear about Sandy....please give her my best for a good recovery...and you best behave when Sandy is at your house! :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts