Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an Everything Bag from Tough River Stuff. I played with it today in the stern of my 16 foot boat. It doesn't come with any directions and there is no video on Youtube so Thanks in advance for any tips.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I have had two of Ray's everything bags. One on a Aire Leopard other on a Aire 143.

My experience was no directions as every boat has a different setup on dee rings. I just did the best I could to rig Ray's straps to the dee rings. I wanted to fit a plywood bottom with rounded edges to the inside bottom of the everything bag but never got it done. I also thought about glueing on some extra dee rings as needed but never did.

Bottom line, Just rig the straps up what ever works. One thing for sure, on the river, I just put stuff in the bag, stood on the seat and pulled the hoopie strap tight and ready to go. A great bag!

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The floor idea sounds interesting. I used a DRE floor before the Everything bag and I already have the extra D rings. BTW I have a Vanguard and Vanguards have smaller tubes so they are not as deep as a Highside or and Avon.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
ethafoam bottom?

I have the barney bag with the self drain hole on the bottom, cube bag that fits in my cataraft. I pack my camp chairs, drybags with tent, pillows, then row of cots, then a row of drybags, on top of that I usually put the propane camp shower and propane tanks. very top is the last stuff loaded usually stuff the wife wants access to .... very top I put all the collapsible buckets.

these garage sale bags are very handy ...

·
Registered
71 Posts
My everything bag is from stiches-n-stuff. If running in the stern: It has 3 or 4 cam straps attached that I run to the back cross bar of the frame. I run 3 cam straps from the 3 D-rings on the back of the bag to the 4 D-rings on the back of my boat.
I used PVC board for my floor (1/4 inch I think). easy to cut and never needs maintenance like plywood. PVC is not rigid and it doesn't a lot of weight by itself (just like foam). However the nylon webbing running across the bottom of the bag cradles the board and is what provides the support. good luck...

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have the same bag from Ray at TRS. There's a shape to it, with the pointed end toward the stern. Sounds stupid now but when I was first playing with it, it wasn't immediately apparent to me. I added an extra large D-ring patch to each side of my Hyside 16, at the same height as the one in the stern D ring and the frame - about halfway b/w stern and rear frame attachments, using the bag inside the boat as a template. Three of the straps on the flat side go across the rear frame rail behind your seat. Obviously, the center rear one goes to the rear, and the others go to your best choice on the side, the reason I added the D rings. I did not use, nor did I want a floor. I just put stuff into the bag directly on the floor of raft. I pulled the attachment straps as tight as possible which does somewhat suspend the floor, but not much once loaded. Ray does it the same way and recommended that way. I made sure to put on the bottom a layer of soft stuff, such as gear bags, but that's pretty much what the whole rear compartment was used for. The top cinches down with an internal strap, which IMO would not keep stuff inside in case of a flip, so I always criss-crossed two straps over the top to the frame and D rings. Works great, and very fast to load and unload.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
49 Posts
First of all you want to ignore the d-rings on the bottom, (unless you are suspending a smaller bag in a bigger boat.) And yeah, shape to your boat with the 3 straps on the flat side attaching to your frame. The other three will attach to your bow & side quadrants, you may need to add d-rings to the appropriate spots depending on where your current d-rings are located. Your everything bag should have come with two additional loop straps to criscross and cinch the top down with. Feel free to call the shop and Ray will happily talk you through any questions you might have. :) 719-539-5444

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your reply. I'll be in touch. David

First of all you want to ignore the d-rings on the bottom, (unless you are suspending a smaller bag in a bigger boat.) And yeah, shape to your boat with the 3 straps on the flat side attaching to your frame. The other three will attach to your bow & side quadrants, you may need to add d-rings to the appropriate spots depending on where your current d-rings are located. Your everything bag should have come with two additional loop straps to criscross and cinch the top down with. Feel free to call the shop and Ray will happily talk you through any questions you might have. :) 719-539-5444

·
Registered
48 Posts
Great Bags

Great bag... had one for my 15' Avon... I was always sitting in my boat with my coffee while everyone else was strapping stuff in...may not have had in just right, but worked real well anyway!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Awesome to see this thread. Reminded me to order a Everything Bag from TRS.
Looking forward to trying it out. Always wanted one.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Has anyone ever had a wear issue from the everything bag on the raft itself?

Probably not.

But I do wonder if certain fabrics could ......

========

I'm going to make a couple for myself and want to be sure I don'y remake a mistake Thats already been covered somewhere.

Thanks

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has anyone ever had a wear issue from the everything bag on the raft itself?

Probably not.

But I do wonder if certain fabrics could ......

========

I'm going to make a couple for myself and want to be sure I don'y remake a mistake Thats already been covered somewhere.

Thanks
You're a brave soul. I can't even imagine duplicating the complex sewing that goes into the Everything Bag and the sewing machine necessary to sew that kind of fabric would have to be supper industrial.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I'm thinking a suspended mesh floor and either an octopus strap and/or a mesh cover would be more flexible and easier to rig- no?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm thinking a suspended mesh floor and either an octopus strap and/or a mesh cover would be more flexible and easier to rig- no?

That's what I have now. It works but the Everything Bag will stack higher holding more and rig faster.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
You're a brave soul. I can't even imagine duplicating the complex sewing that goes into the Everything Bag and the sewing machine necessary to sew that kind of fabric would have to be supper industrial.
Thank you for inflating my ego and I'll tell by Brother Industrial Hi-Lift Walking Foot Large Bobbin of your praise also.

These everything bags are a bit of work and a fair amount of material.
My compliments to those that design, make and retail for a living.

The everything bags sure make sense.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I was thinking of a mesh floor and perhaps some of that chicken floor stuff.
Its somewhat rigid and might help keep the floor of the bag off the raft floor.

???

·
Registered
362 Posts

This is also the system I have now and I can tell you that I'm still wrastlin gear while my buddies boat with the E.B. is loaded, ready and waiting.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Come to think of it….You can have my old set up. DRE custom extra large floor and Sling for a cool hundred. Both in perfect condition.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts