Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your standard for tipping the shuttle drivers? I'm all for taking care of the people who are taking care of my vehicle(s). Just unclear on the amount. A percentage of the total? Number of hours x $10 bucks? Extra for the trailer? Assuming that the rest of the road beers and a jj would just be a bonus.

Specifically a DesoGray shuttle. Thanks.

Hooter
Blue Skies n Whitewater

·
Registered
185 Posts
tipping

On the Deschutes, about a 4 hour shuttle, I tip $25. On the Main Salmon, a very long day, $50. I also appreciate what the drivers do. I may be tipping slightly low - not sure.

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
You might not want to leave the weed - it is Utah and distributing it is a felony. 99% chance they're cool, but be careful in Utah!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I don't think many people tip, so anything is a bonus. We used to leave a couple cold beers in the cooler for our Smith river shuttles, but as the companies have changed we stopped that. I left them $20 on a $120 dollar shuttle this year and my rig was spotless when I picked it up. I don't think they really expect it, so a little goes along ways. I sure hope I don't have to start tipping 20% on shuttles, that might be a little high on most trips.

That's the first cash tip I've ever left... I doubt I'll do it on day trips, but long trips and nasty roads - it might just get folks to treat your shit with respect vs rallying over wash boards with the trailer whipping around in the back.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tip 20% anytime a tip is due. If you feel you could have done it yourself then you should have and a service was not needed. The service industry spends all of their cash back into the economy too. They aren't putting 20 bucks cash into a bad stock or something so it strengthens your local economy. This is why Montana doesn't seem to care about taxing service industry tips I've always figured. Also I would assume the shuttle guys will remember you the next time and make sure you are their first priority. Take it from a bartender. We remember who bought our food and beer at the end of the day.

·
Registered
519 Posts
People tip shuttle drivers? Bahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
I like to try to incentivize those who are running my shuttles not to beat the hell out of my car and trailer, I've found that a tip goes a long way to that end.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I never used to leave a tip but I have on the last couple trips and I have not really seen any difference, and one time on the main salmon(after leaving a tip) my rig was left at Spring Bar and not at Carey Creek, after i hitched out to get cell service to call the shuttle company I just happened to noticed it at Spring Bar. Yes I did get in touch with the shuttle company and they made things right. So my point is that not always leaving a tip gets you any better service. Maybe we should leave a tip after the service is completed much like the F&B business. And another point to make most servers are compensated with a tip from the public because in part they are only payed minimum wage, so after your service that's when you tip. I'm assuming that shuttle drivers are payed pretty decent hourly. So why pay so much tip like some are suggesting 15% some say even 20%. I do think a tip is nice and so I leave at least something like 20-30 dollars.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I have a hard time tipping shuttle drivers. The cost is already high and then the shuttle company wants me to even pay more because they don't want to pay their employees a good wage. Then the company says to its employees that they would make more if we would tip and its our fault they don'y make more $$.

But, I have come to a point were I will make a request of driver. Like stop, get ice, top off the tank, and you can keep the $ under the mat. Mostly they do nothing, keep the tip money and leave a note that says, "Sorry, boss wont let us stop!" with a sad face.

IDK, It's almost to the point to where I can hire a full time shuttle driver??????

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I like to try to incentivize those who are running my shuttles not to beat the hell out of my car and trailer, I've found that a tip goes a long way to that end.
I have not found that correlation to be true for me. But if I do find a good driver, I be happy to tip. Usually I get so old guy from the retirement home driving down the road with one good eye.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Just for the record, the OP refers to the Deso/Gray shuttle specifically... which is a long, rough road. My experience has been excellent with River Runners Transport, and I tip them well. I am happy to continue doing so as long as they provide a service which I value.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't think many people tip, so anything is a bonus. We used to leave a couple cold beers in the cooler for our Smith river shuttles, but as the companies have changed we stopped that. I left them $20 on a $120 dollar shuttle this year and my rig was spotless when I picked it up. I don't think they really expect it, so a little goes along ways. I sure hope I don't have to start tipping 20% on shuttles, that might be a little high on most trips.

That's the first cash tip I've ever left... I doubt I'll do it on day trips, but long trips and nasty roads - it might just get folks to treat your shit with respect vs rallying over wash boards with the trailer whipping around in the back.
Man i remember all my smith river shuttles being the best,trucks vaccumed and cleaned everytime i must of been doing something right lol

·
Registered
861 Posts
Should you tip more if your vehicle/trailer sucks ass.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
713 Posts
Would it make sense to have them put their name & address on an envelope so that after you get your car back you can mail to them an appropriate amount?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I have always wondered about that option. Why tip 20-25% as some are saying before we even know the outcome? I do it but it seems like a unique definition of "tipping".

Phillip

·
Registered
275 Posts
I tip $20 to $40 bucks, depending on the shuttle.
I always tip a decent restaurant server 20%,
A shuttle driver is not a waitress/ waiter.
Just because someone accepts tips does not mean you have to break with 20%
Seems like everyone has a tip jar out these days.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts