Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what should i buy for when i want to jedi an overnighter in a smaller boat in late fall? money isnt really an issue on this one, i just need great advice from someone who desnt have a halfarsed bag to sell me

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I have a North Face Snowshoe that keeps me pretty toasty down to around 10 degrees. It's synthetic not down. I woke up, coated in frost, at Sand Wash. Took a leak and hopped back in for another few hours of warm comfortable sleep. The thing packs down pretty small. I think I got it at REI. Marmot makes some killer bags too.....but I've been pretty pleased with my North Face.

·
The bags that pack the smallest are the 850 - 900 fill down bags. Both Marmot and Mountain Hardwear make great bags, but be sure to keep in mind that down will offer no warm if it is wet. Some of the newer synthetic materials pack down pretty small, but like anything else, you get what you pay for. One thing you should be aware of is that to save weight for the backpackers, companies will often use 3/4 zippers in their lighter bags, which is ok until you get hot and need to vent out some heat. I personally have a 900 fill Marmot bag for cold temps, but I'm also impressed with the Mountain Hardwear Phantom bags.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts