Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sold my Id 7.0 and I need a new used playboat (can't afford a new one). I've paddled the Kingpin 6.3 a little, but am also considering an Airhead or S6X-205. Here's my understanding of these boats:

Kingpin - good for loops and cartwheels, everyone seems to like it

Airhead - bad for cartwheels, good for loops, corky in bigger water

S6X - nobody seems to like this boat, too unforgiving they say

I'm tall with big feet, but I've sat in and fit into all of these boats, and weigh a slowly declining 215 pounds. I'd appreciate any feedback from people who have paddled them, since all I've paddled is the Kingpin, and not really long enough to feel it out. Would I overweight the Kingpin?

I would really be psyched about the S6X but for the 100% negative reviews people seem to give it. A friend at the shop I used to work at even said the Pyranha team paddlers didn't like it. This fact seems to be underscored by the lack of Kingpins and Airheads for sale in the CO used market and the presence of several S6Xs for sale here. I also might consider a G-Force 6.3.

Bear in mind I've paddled some spuds a little, but never owned one. Thanks for any and all opinions...

steve

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I've had Riot in the past and rather dislike the seating posture in Corran's designs. I'd consider trying it out, but Gunnison is a long way off. Besides, the Turbo is a new design, no? I'm in the $500 price range, which you're probably not in with a newer design. Nevertheless, if I don't have a playboat by the time CB starts to go, I'll holler at ya.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have paddled with Leif anderson in his Airhead and he seems to make it do about anything and loved it. He was able to do clean flatwater cartwheels in it til the cows came home but he is a bit of a freak. What it excelled at was Looping. He is around 6'6" and had 15ish feet. Not that heavy for his size but he would consistently get high enough that he could look down at the water on his loops. It is a whole lot of boat, but if you are a whole lotta guy than It seems awesome.

Peter

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have only paddled the G-Force and Airhead. I can not speak for the other designs that look really good for us big guys (like the new S6-F). The airhead just kills it on a steep wave, best hopping boat ever! It throws blunts like none other and probably all that newest school arial stuff that I just can not quite stick yet (in a Kayak). I heard it does not cartwheel as well as other boats. I am 6'4" and weigh around 190 and like the comfort of the airhead. It is not stable on end for eddyline wheels or flatwaters stuff but if you will be in the hole who cares. Other boats to consider would be the new Jackson Kayaks (won't find one used) and in my opinion stay away from the tanks like the T4 and Super EZ. Too much boat for anyone except the largest full figured men. Good luck, being big in tall in this sport is a bitch, start C-1ing and creeking in a kayak and just give up on K-1 playboating.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I recently purchased the Kingpin 6.3. I demoed the boat before purchasing, and really liked the way that it played. The only problem at that time was I was to stern heavy and my legs cramped too easily. I figured with the new outfitting on the Kingpin, I could make it so I would be balanced right and be comfortable enough to sit in it for a good 30 minute play session. Unfortunately I was wrong. I've taken it out a few times to play, and today down the Gorge, making adjustments after each run, but can't get it to work. My legs fall asleep after 5 minutes and I stern squirt everything, unintentionally. I'm 6'4" and weight 225 lbs. The Kingpin 6.3 is a great boat if you are under 6'2"\6'3". If you have any suggestions of a good playboat for someone of my size, let me know. Also, anyone looking for a new Kingpin 6.3, let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts