Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
In a hobby where we pay up-the-ass for every little thing, pearl-clutching about the price of something to store sh!t in seems a bit on-the-nose doesn't it? Better lock those dory hatches, old boys...there's thrifty boaters about.
Kinda but a cheap cooler vs a expensive cooler is a bigger difference. Same with oars and dry boxes and dry bags etc . A 5 gallon bucket? Tell me how the 40$ will out preform a 6$ version? I’ve looked at this bucket in person, it’s taller and has a nicer Handle but the lid is equivalent to their drink water lids, not even close to the gamma lid for security. I’m totally a buy once cry once type but I have buckets I bring on the river that are well over 15years old and still going strong

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I'm waiting on the day that the poop bag systems will no longer accepted, but it hasn't come yet.
There are a lot of places where packing your waste out isn't even enforced (like my backyard)...so IMHO wag bags will still have a place even after all the popular permitted rivers have requirements for reuseable toilet systems.

·
Registered
284 Posts
....or just a better/stronger bucket! Def not a bargain, but its built to keep crap secure and already has tie-down slits to run any std nrs strap through. I've also stood on that matching lid, which fully seals with nary a creak or crack.

UPDATE: this is only Yeti product I own, bought right off the shelf at Murdochs, and have no regrets. Fancy straps don't make a std 5G bucket any stronger, and my turds deserve better..

[/URL][/URL]
....or just a better/stronger bucket! Def not a bargain, but its built to keep crap secure and already has tie-down slits to run any std nrs strap through. I've also stood on that matching lid, which fully seals with nary a creak or crack.

UPDATE: this is only Yeti product I own, bought right off the shelf at Murdochs, and have no regrets. Fancy straps don't make a std 5G bucket any stronger, and my turds deserve better..

What are you using for a lid on your Yeti bucket? I've wanted to switch to the Yeti bucket for a while, but a standard gamma lid doesn't fit them, and I don't trust the yeti lid to hold the contents in if something went sidways.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If you haven't done so already, double wall your groover buckets. I think I used liquid nails, or silicon, or some sort of adhesive to glue 2 buckets together for my groover. This gives an outer layer that takes the abuse of rocks and what not, while the inner layer contains the crap. You can then put holes for attaching hardware to the outer bucket, while leaving the inner bucket intact.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
If you haven't done so already, double wall your groover buckets. I think I used liquid nails, or silicon, or some sort of adhesive to glue 2 buckets together for my groover. This gives an outer layer that takes the abuse of rocks and what not, while the inner layer contains the crap. You can then put holes for attaching hardware to the outer bucket, while leaving the inner bucket intact.
Good idea, or just buy a groover. The OP was using WAG bags, and wanted to keep them contained..

·
Registered
284 Posts
Good idea, or just buy a groover. The OP was using WAG bags, and wanted to keep them contained..
So, when I started out on overnight trips, I went with the bucket cause it was cheap and functional. That was roughly 5 years ago. Over the last year or 2, I've been looking into a "real" groover, and haven't seen anything that I actually like as much as my bucket system. I do poo directly in the bucket, and I unload it at the RV station, I feel like this is a more responsible option to wag bags.

Pros of the bucket:
Large hole, so you aren't confined during use
No ramp to collect the skid Mark's
Good capacity
Stable enough

It does have its drawbacks, but so far, I'm still looking. I like the rotomolded yeti bucket, but it needs a more solid lid, which I have not seen yet.
The coyote system looks good, but I hear the opening is tight. The riverbank is also appealing, but I have 17"-18" height limit so it fits in my trailer, and I am under the impression that it is taller than that.

We use our groover all the time when were boating or camping otherwise, so it gets a lot of use over a year, and I can justify a "real" groover when I find one I like better than my cheapo double-wall bucket.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
So, when I started out on overnight trips, I went with the bucket cause it was cheap and functional. That was roughly 5 years ago. Over the last year or 2, I've been looking into a "real" groover, and haven't seen anything that I actually like as much as my bucket system. I do poo directly in the bucket, and I unload it at the RV station, I feel like this is a more responsible option to wag bags.

Pros of the bucket:
Large hole, so you aren't confined during use
No ramp to collect the skid Mark's
Good capacity
Stable enough

It does have its drawbacks, but so far, I'm still looking. I like the rotomolded yeti bucket, but it needs a more solid lid, which I have not seen yet.
The coyote system looks good, but I hear the opening is tight. The riverbank is also appealing, but I have 17"-18" height limit so it fits in my trailer, and I am under the impression that it is taller than that.

We use our groover all the time when were boating or camping otherwise, so it gets a lot of use over a year, and I can justify a "real" groover when I find one I like better than my cheapo double-wall bucket.
The ultimate groover (along with the ultimate $$) is the Partner Steel Jonny Partner. Zero downsides other than the cost, will last 5 or 6 lifetimes, and is a true pleasure to use. I just looked, and due to the price of AL it would seem they are even more expensive..

Reactions: 801firefighter

·
Registered
502 Posts
Don't expect the gamma seal kids to be watertight. I have three, they all leak when inverted. I used them for food and kitchen supplier at one time, now they are used for dog food and stay at home. The other buckets i posted before are watertight and don't leak. In fact they get vacuum seal tight going over passes....

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Nesting would add 3 to 4 inches of height. Ymmv.
I've never been a fan of round buckets, they are generally less efficient space wise and harder to secure. That said, they do fit well in the bow\stern of my mini max if standing on the floor.
Gobble gobble, hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Does anyone have a trick for this? I use a 5 gallon bucket with a Gamma twist lid on it for a poop bucket sometimes, where wag bags are legal for small groups.
I'm sure there is a great solution out there, Thanks!
I had some old d-rings on hypalon that had come off an old boat. I used hypalon glue to glue them to my buckets, thanks Dave Iseli for the idea. They work great and a way to salvage old d-rings patches

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Reactions: Bootboy
21 - 36 of 36 Posts