Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen an abnormal amount of alerts this year about people leaving ropes in the water. I gotta say that this is very disturbing. Why are you people leaving strainers in the river? Is this a trend or am I just noticing it more since taking SWR with Mike Mather?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think there is an abnormal amount of personal property in the river. Our rivers are being increasingly used by private boaters and they are not keeping close tabs on their stuff. Cooler tops, shoes, sunscreen, clothes etc are everywhere. In our disposable society, people lose things and would rather buy a new one or go without than to take the time and effort to retrieve.

Please clean up after yourselves. For the sake of a clean, safe and enjoyable experience for the people comming down after you.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I understand what you mean but while a shoe is unsightly it probably wont kill you. A rope in the river is a death trap.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Quote: "A rope in the river is like an evil serpent waiting to do nothing but bad things" Mike Mather

Well I understand what you mean but while a shoe is unsightly it probably wont kill you. A rope in the river is a death trap.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I think some of the throwbags are lost when they come out of a swimmer's boat. That has happened to me. I learned not to clip my throwbag to the bungee cord in my seat outfitting because that cord isn't strong enough. Once I saw someone on Clear Creek with a pinned boat that had a full streamer of throwrope hanging out of it because the guy clipped the business end of the rope into the boat instead of clipping the bag in.

I lost a drybag once that was clipped into my boat with a non-locking caribiner. The anchor point I clipped it to was fine. The biner unclipped itself in a pinned boat. Good thing it wasn't a throw bag.

I would say that everyone should consider carrying their primary throw rope on their body. It has it's pros and cons but I think it is safer for your partners if you go for it and put it on yourself.

If you carry a secondary throw rope in your boat, which you should, then clip it to a bomber attachment point. Maybe use a locking biner to clip all of your gear in, including throw ropes. If you are concerned about speed when unclipping it then get one of those locking beaners that has a speed clip instead of a screw-on/off clip.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've been told that it is good practice to take the loop out of the bitter end of the rope (rope end, not bag end) in order to avoid a stopper knot that could get stuck in a crotch of a rock. Opinions?...

--J

·
Registered
509 Posts
I lost a drybag once that was clipped into my boat with a non-locking caribiner. The anchor point I clipped it to was fine. The biner unclipped itself in a pinned boat. Good thing it wasn't a throw bag.
Another Matherism: "There are three types of carabiners: plain, locking, and locked." Remember the story about the 'biner that clipped around someone's achilles tendon?

·
Registered
116 Posts
gh, I was trying not to repeat what you just said. My point was to take the time to retrieve your stuff be it a rope or what have you.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
baked, its cool.

random, its a personal choice that you have to make. decide which risk you will take. that it will get hung or that you will have to tie a quick knot when you need it. if you can do a quick 8, then go for a clean line. personally i am leaving an 8 in the end, keeping the end inside the bag, making the loop part small enough that my hand wont fit and keeping my attention on what evil my rope is up to when i am not watching it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts