Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clear Creek tuber saves teen found facedown in water

By Howard Pankratz
The Denver Post

Posted: 07/16/2009 02:38:24 PM MDT
Updated: 07/16/2009 03:04:52 PM MDT

A man tubing on Clear Creek on Tuesday evening is credited with saving the life of a teenager he found floating facedown in the fast-flowing water.
Matt Mulica had gone to the creek Tuesday after leaving his job with Denver Water.
When he spotted the 17-year-old teenager, he made his way to the boy, swam with the young man to shore and began administering CPR to the teenager, who wasn't breathing and had no pulse, Denver Water said in a news release.
By the time paramedics arrived, the young man was showing signs of life. After being taken to a local hospital, the teenager made a full recovery.
Mulica credits timing for the rescue. He had delayed his tubing departure for several minutes to help a goose in distress.
Prior to getting into the creek, Mulica saw the goose on the shore of the creek separated by a fence from the rest of the flock in Clear Creek.
Because geese are currently molting and can't fly, the goose was stranded. Mulica untied an opening in the fence, herded the goose into the water to join its mates, and then retied the fence.
At that point, Mulica got into his tube and began to go downstream. There, he spotted the lifeless body of the teenager. Howard Pankratz: 303-954-1939 or [email protected]

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good work, tuber!

The haters will arrive in 5... 4... 3...

Hats off to him he saved a life, a lot more then most douches on this site will ever do. I'm tubing this weekend in honor...of course my lady in my avatar will as well. She needs a tube from one of those mammoth dump trucks.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Yay for tubers!

I saw a group of 6 or so tubers putting on Clear Creek (tunnel #1 run) after my lunchtime Black Rock run. No sign of helmets or life jackets. Get that guy up there at once!

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
walmart raft is higher quality cheap product. tubers use the black tubes walmart rafters use walmart rafts. the little 2 feet blue and yellow oars kick ass.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Funny you should mention those. I just saw one of those blue and yellow rafts strapped to the top of a car at lunch today. I was wondering where they bought it... LOL

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Let me tell you what. i own one and hit the park all the time with it.. boof and release. twice as low in the water as a kayak making everything twice as big and better than swimming. walmart rafts are the next kayaks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This man is a hero, I would have left the damn goose to suffer alone and fight it out. Not to mention the heroism in bringing a dead man back to life!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
A goose AND a teenager, WOW!!!

Bet he doesn't have a bad attitude like Seanlee either.

Here is a guy I would gladly boat with!

·
Registered
580 Posts
It doesn't say if the rescuer had a PFD on or not, but wouldn't be ironic if by not having a PFD on, he was able to reach the boy in a faster amount of time which may have made the difference. I know I swim faster without my pfd.

Also, interesting that the article spent more time talking about the goose rescue than the boy rescue. Saving animals is always more important to media types.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
I walked up from Library hole shortly after this happend. The guys surfing at rodeo saw a limp man put on a stretcher and driven away, so it couldn't have been too far down from rodeo. They thought it was a tuber who hit his head after a flip. There were lots of "I knew this would happen with so many tubers" etc. Pretty ironic in the end it was a tuber that made the save.

·
Registered
17 Posts
WHAT!?! A molting goose stuck on the wrong side of the fence. Then not only did he reunite the geese but he went back and repaired the fence? Then he went and pulled the kid out of the river and worked up a little CPR magic? I imagine most girls laugh at him when he tells that story but I hope that night he found someone who believed him because that is amazing!....and he FIXED THE FENCE!!! Who does that? Congrats and I hope he bought a lotto ticket too because he could do no wrong that day

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mr. C,
Thanks for posting this excellent news, it is a good story and congrats to the rescuee, rescuer and those who love them both for a positive outcome. What I don't understand is how you have the ability to dimish a good story by referring to all the folks who hang out here as "douches" and how none of us would ever rise up and rescue someone in trouble. I cannot tell you how much I personally resent those words. It is my opinion that you owe everyone on this board an apology for your direct and vulgar assassination. If you cannot man up to this, perhaps you should go away.
Don

1 - 20 of 21 Posts