Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking at the new Sotar Rogue series. There are a few things that look interesting to me, I mostly R2 small water, so I like that it is light, and very reasonably priced for one of the major brands.... But I wonder about that mesh floor. That just looks horrible to me. The one review of it I can find online looks like the floor and bottom of the thwarts are getting damaged after minimal use.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the only review I can find as well but I'd rather get a communities opinion than a show with a host wearing a Sotar shirt.
However that water looks similar to what I'd run it on. And it is a much better price than its competition.
Just really doubting that floor though.

·
Beginner
2,866 Posts
Do you need an ultralight, packable boat? If not, a traditional self bailer would probably be a better choice. If you're flying internationally, packing with a mule or human, or have a use for a UL boat it's worth considering. Make sure to compare to the light urethane boats that Custom Inflatables is building. No mesh floor and really light!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, Ultralight and packable are priority 1. So far I'm only using traditional rubber bucket boats.
I can't find a company called Custom Inflatables on google, but I'll look into them if I can find them.
I'm not a fan of urethane though (being from Boise I've been talked into trying Maravia a couple times and always had problems with packing/storing them).

·
Registered
9 Posts
If ultralight and packability are your priority, and you are mostly looking for something to R2, I think a Shredder type boat is the way to go. If your paddle partner is MIA, you can still S1 with relative ease.

Hyside has paddlecats in stock now (or at least their homepage says they do) and one could be at your door in a weeks time. Super durable, and you can pack it in deflated anywhere, weighs ~55lbs. These are Hypalon so they roll and pack really well.

The other option would be the real "Shredder" from Airtight inflatables. They have been doing some real neat stuff as of late and can build a ultralight shredder that weighs ~35lbs. I believe they would be like a 3 month build time. These boats are also super easy to roll and pack in.

I think the Custom Inflatables site has been having issues, not sure if they got hacked recently. I called them earlier this year about one of their lightweight duckies and at that point it was almost a year and half backlog before they could build it.

You can find their site by searching for Custom Inflatables Thrillseekers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd never considered a Shredder style. And I have always had awesome luck with my Hysides! I'll look into those.

Still curious what people would think of the Rogue and that floor though.

Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts