Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is being proposed to me that we run the Eagle River from Eagle to Edwards in July. I'm looking for opinions on running it with kids 7 and under. I have many miles of river experience, but have somehow never run any part of the Eagle. Looking on AW, there are several mentions of scout options on named rapids which I take to mean that we could potentially have little ones walk if we feel the need. My concern is that with the large snowpack and potential higher flows, scout stops and eddies may be few and far between.

Thoughts? Specific to the Eagle-Edwards section do the rapids wash out at higher flows or get bigger and munchier?

I have 13' raft and monster 15' cat as boat options both with oar setups. I've heard the Eagle can be quite narrow. Kinda concerned a the 15' cat might be too big/wide, but in same breath I just took the large lady down Browns on the Ark at 800 this weekend. She's quite nimble for her size.

All opinions welcome.

Edit - this is the section I'm referring to.
https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/2882/

·
Registered
202 Posts
It is being proposed to me that we run the Eagle River from Eagle to Edwards in July. I'm looking for opinions on running it with kids 7 and under. I have many miles of river experience, but have somehow never run any part of the Eagle. Looking on AW, there are several mentions of scout options on named rapids which I take to mean that we could potentially have little ones walk if we feel the need. My concern is that with the large snowpack and potential higher flows, scout stops and eddies may be few and far between.

Thoughts? Specific to the Eagle-Edwards section do the rapids wash out at higher flows or get bigger and munchier?

I have 13' raft and monster 15' cat as boat options both with oar setups. I've heard the Eagle can be quite narrow. Kinda concerned a the 15' cat might be too big/wide, but in same breath I just took the large lady down Browns on the Ark at 800 this weekend. She's quite nimble for her size.

All opinions welcome.

Edit - this is the section I'm referring to.
https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/2882/

I'm sure you'll have a really rough time on the Eagle going from Eagle to Edwards, in fact I guarantee it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ran from Wolcott to Eagle with 2 five-year-olds and 2 seven-year-olds about a week ago in a 16 ft RMR w/ oar frame. I had previously done it without kids to make sure I knew where I was going but we didn't have any problems. It was about 1000 CFS when we did it. I had one other adult with me to grab kids if needed (it wasn't needed). The river is coming up now, but I would be surprised if it was still much above 1000 CFS by July. On the stretch we did, Dead Cow is the only rapid worth scouting and you can easily do it from the road when running shuttle. We took out before the Eagle River Park. The waves through there are bigger and everyone was cold, but in July things will be warmer so you could go down further and take out at the fair grounds. Again, just scout when running shuttle and make the call based on your kids desire to get wet.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure you'll have a really rough time on the Eagle going from Eagle to Edwards, in fact I guarantee it!

Ok Ok. I see what I did there. I blame the spring pollen and the subsequent allergies that come with. Even with allergy meds, I'm currently running thru about 15-20 tissues per hour.

What I meant to say was Edwards to Eagle.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran from Wolcott to Eagle with 2 five-year-olds and 2 seven-year-olds about a week ago in a 16 ft RMR w/ oar frame. I had previously done it without kids to make sure I knew where I was going but we didn't have any problems. It was about 1000 CFS when we did it. I had one other adult with me to grab kids if needed (it wasn't needed). The river is coming up now, but I would be surprised if it was still much above 1000 CFS by July. On the stretch we did, Dead Cow is the only rapid worth scouting and you can easily do it from the road when running shuttle. We took out before the Eagle River Park. The waves through there are bigger and everyone was cold, but in July things will be warmer so you could go down further and take out at the fair grounds. Again, just scout when running shuttle and make the call based on your kids desire to get wet.
Thanks Hoodlum. What would you say your time-on-water was for that 10-ish mile stretch at 1000?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Probably 2 1/2 hours. We brought changes of clothes so all the kids could get soaked in Dead Cow and then change right after. 2 of the kids were first time rafters and we were definitely concerned about kids getting cold with the water temps a little below 50.

It's worth noting that "Rumble Seat" does not exist as such any more. The Eagle river park was completed last winter, so if you choose to run down below chambers park it's more like class III wave trains. You maybe could flip a 13 ft boat in it if you float into the drops side ways but it's not class IV by any means.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ok Ok. I see what I did there. I blame the spring pollen and the subsequent allergies that come with. Even with allergy meds, I'm currently running thru about 15-20 tissues per hour.

What I meant to say was Edwards to Eagle.
lol sorry I just can't pass up the opportunity to be a sarcastic smart ass. IMO you'll be fine with kids on the cat on that section, there's only really 1 or 2 rapids of concern on that section.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The rapid I would be paying attention to is Trestle. There is a scout on river right near a large boulder. Good to know if there is wood, and so you can see the rocks / waves / holes just past the Trestle that you wouldn't be able to see until you are on top of them. I'm guessing the Wolcott put in referred to earlier is below this rapid, I have taken off there but it's a great float to Eagle. Have fun!

·
Be Like Water
139 Posts
I know you said you're an experienced boater and i believe you. As stated by others, thst water will be freezing. In addition, since young kids (and obese folks) are severely limited in self rescue, hopefully you'll have an adult per child in the boat in case of a swim. You'll want them out fast! Having said all that i probably wouldn't boat the eagle with kiddos in the spring, instead id likely go hit the CO from griz to south bridge.

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The original proposal was the Glenwood canyon(s) sections. We've done that stretch numerous times. I think there's an urge from some in our group to broaden the river selections, and the Eagle peaked some interest.

The mentions of extra cold water is interesting. We take the kids on the Milk run of the Ark just North of Browns Canyon. Without tracking down any gauges with temps listed, I just assumed that would be a comparable in temps.

I'm thinking with the high snowpack, flow might be higher than 2k in July. I'm thinking the alternate put in mentioned is a better option to avoid the trestle.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,477 Posts
FWIW, Ive never felt near as cold on the numbers as I have the eagle. Its just damn cold up there. Im not sure if I've just been ill prepared every time I go up there or what but I'm always cold as hell getting off. That said Im usually running the stretch above also.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Roaring Fork down past Two Rivers to either exit 111 or exit 134 on I-70 are both good choices. Have done those, and will do them again. I think the objective of my compadre was to find something on the Eagle that's not as far west, and perhaps a little less crowded in July.

I loaded the river app that Nubie Jon had that shows the temps for that gauge, and it was at 41 but got up to 50 during the day. With no direct experience, I believe everyone that's says it's cold. If we end up doing the Eagle, I will definitely bring gear to keep folks warm.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Pirate,
the Eagle will be great.

It is the best kept secret in the State (if you can even call it a secret). It is also one of the least crowded rivers in the state....barley anyone, except locals paddle Gore Creek and the Eagle. Class 2-5 is all right here, with 6-7 sections to do.

Water will peak mid to later next week., Early July the flows will be down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts