Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see a lot of Achilles SB's on the river, but the one's I have seen make me think they are a quality boat. What are your thoughts about these boats and would you recommend considering one for purchase?

·
rafter
50 Posts
They look and feel like there made with a heavy enough fabric. But the boats I've seen don't have removable thwarts. Go figure. Downstream

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They look and feel like there made with a heavy enough fabric. But the boats I've seen don't have removable thwarts. Go figure. Downstream
Interesting. The one I am looking at is a 14ft SB. It has 2 lace-in thwarts. It's a 2000, so has the older military valves. Perfect condition with no patches or wear spots. Custom recretec frame with cooler and two dry boxes and diamond plate runners. Also, comes with 3 cataract oars and 3 blades (3 heavy duty blades for the Illinois). Straps, cleaners, patch kit. Literally everything needed to row today. Guy wants 4,000. Is this a good deal?

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's certainly not a screaming deal. It might not even be a good deal. It is a somewhat fair price on a quality older boat and set up. Those Recretec square tube frames and drybox setups are pretty pricey so it that is the set up for you its priced where you can negotiate. You see a lot of 15 year old hypalon boats for 1,500 to 2,500 naked. Then you have to get it outfitted. Think about how much you like the outfitting and negotiate. Also, any blade that fits a Cataract oar is perfectly capable for rowing anything rowable so don't think that because the raft has been down some river X amount of times it makes it better somehow. I'd probably see if he'd take 3,200$ and try from there. A 3,000 offer seems low ball but to be honest it that might be what it takes to get me interested. That is just my opinion right now however. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Interesting. The one I am looking at is a 14ft SB. It has 2 lace-in thwarts. It's a 2000, so has the older military valves. Perfect condition with no patches or wear spots. Custom recretec frame with cooler and two dry boxes and diamond plate runners. Also, comes with 3 cataract oars and 3 blades (3 heavy duty blades for the Illinois). Straps, cleaners, patch kit. Literally everything needed to row today. Guy wants 4,000. Is this a good deal?
Older military valves as in the metal ones or the plastic ones? Metal ones are bomber, plastic ones suck.

They are good boats but that seems a bit high too me. There will be lots of boats out there in that price range this spring, some nicer, some not. Do you have access to pics or the add? More info on the gear might make or break the deal. FWIW, with the info presented I'd guess 3k would be a fair deal both ways and 2500 good to you, 3500 good to the seller...but that's really just gut instinct not having even seen a photo.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
oh, missed the pics... I agree with Jake; 4K high but not worst deal thread worthy. 3K go for it. 3500?? - what's having it ready to go worth to you?. I will reiterate that you will find better deals, for sure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Older military valves as in the metal ones or the plastic ones? Metal ones are bomber, plastic ones suck.

They are good boats but that seems a bit high too me. There will be lots of boats out there in that price range this spring, some nicer, some not. Do you have access to pics or the add? More info on the gear might make or break the deal. FWIW, with the info presented I'd guess 3k would be a fair deal both ways and 2500 good to you, 3500 good to the seller...but that's really just gut instinct not having even seen a photo.
You should see the photos attached above.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
$4,000 is too high unless you really want that exact frame and box setup. $3,000 is probably closer to the market - especially in January.

You could spend $3,000 on a way newer "naked" boat and put together a simple frame, oars, and cheap cooler for just over $1000, maybe $1,500. Then you could buy boxes and extras as you can afford it. That's what I would do - you would be sacrificing on the metal but could have much nicer rubber for your $.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
thanks, got that as you see, but I still don't see the valves. Looks like one in the corner of the first pic and it appears metal but hard saying for sure. I've had both valves and the plastic ones drove me nuts. I loved the metal ones most of the time, but in the winter they would freeze....had to pee on them to open more than once...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks, got that as you see, but I still don't see the valves. Looks like one in the corner of the first pic and it appears metal but hard saying for sure. I've had both valves and the plastic ones drove me nuts. I loved the metal ones most of the time, but in the winter they would freeze....had to pee on them to open more than once...
:p Funny. I've done my share of soiling my boat. Never on purpose, just the way the wind blows. Yes, they are plastic and that is all I have known. Only have needed to replace one in my 30 years of boating and that is because some yahoo buddy of mine felt the need to "tighten" it. My kit always has a magnetic screwdriver just to keep the screws from disappearing into the belly of my boat.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Ask what he wants for the frame and accessories. He'll have a better time selling the rubber alone and you might get a good deal on an equipment setup that will fit most boats that size. If you could get everthing but the rubber for $2,000 I say go for it. You'll find a much better raft with the remaining $2k if you shop around all winter...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ask what he wants for the frame and accessories. He'll have a better time selling the rubber alone and you might get a good deal on an equipment setup that will fit most boats that size. If you could get everthing but the rubber for $2,000 I say go for it. You'll find a much better raft with the remaining $2k if you shop around all winter...
I am wondering what "a much better raft" for 2K looks like. I haven't seen any $2000 Sotar's, Maravia's, or Hyside's out there that are newer. The only thing that dates this boat is the valve's and that is not a deal breaker. Boats worked before Leafield's. The hypalon is in great shape. There is no thread showing or cracks, just some fading in the color. Additional D rings and handles have been added. I have been looking for well over a year and I just haven't seen anything in this shape, with the setup, for this price.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Sounds like you want it - and it will probably treat you great. I've bought and sold a lot of boats and I think you could get better rubber for $2,000, but I'm in Colorado so we might have totally different markets.

·
fat guy in a little boat
409 Posts
I am wondering what "a much better raft" for 2K looks like. I haven't seen any $2000 Sotar's, Maravia's, or Hyside's out there that are newer. The only thing that dates this boat is the valve's

we have an '07 achillies at work, and it still has military valves. i don't think they switched to leafields untill like 2010...
they are decent boats, but they're not gonna hold up over time like a '90s hyside. we have a few achillies from the early '90s that are getting kinda worn down. 1 of them almost un-usable.

so look for the serial plate. should be on the outside, back right, just above the rubstrake(or maybe lack thereof).. last 2 digits is the year.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, it's 00, so it is 2000. What should I be seeing/looking for to determine the condition of the boat? Like I said, I don't see anything to cause me concern. I floated with the owner this last summer for 3 days and I know it holds air.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Was it ever a commercial boat? The difference between a used commercial raft and a used private raft can be thousands of uses...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was it ever a commercial boat? The difference between a used commercial raft and a used private raft can be thousands of uses...
Private owner. Guy bought it new in Wyoming and then had a bunch of custom work done on the boat and frame in Gold Beach, Oregon. Stored indoors and half inflated it's whole life.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
I still think it's a bit much, but probably a good boat with a lot of life left. Let us know what you end up paying.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts