Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Wow.....where to begin on this one!!!!
They call that rapid "Go Left Or Die" for a reason. And those funny things you should always wear on the river, they're called "life jackets" for a reason.....because they can Save Your Life! I shudder to think what would have happened if the dude without the PFD had come out of that boat in that hole. Yikes! I hope this little Payette adventure ended well and everyone (peeps & dogs) were OK.
Nice rope work boys !!!!!!!
KJ

·
Registered
320 Posts
In my book, restuffing the throw rope after throw #1 is time wasted. Learn how to throw the rope simply coiled up. In this circumstance time was not apparently of the essence, but given a more grave situation every second may make the difference between life or death.

·
My exact thoughts.
While I suspect most people don't practice throwing a bag, even fewer practice throwing a coiled rope. It's a good talent to have.

In my book, restuffing the throw rope after throw #1 is time wasted. Learn how to throw the rope simply coiled up. In this circumstance time was not apparently of the essence, but given a more grave situation every second may make the difference between life or death.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
My exact thoughts.
While I suspect most people don't practice throwing a bag, even fewer practice throwing a coiled rope. It's a good talent to have.
I was interested in this as well, so i used the timer on the video for an idea of how long it took him to re-load and throw. 39 seconds. I did not think it was too bad, although i do not know if he did a full re-load. when he throws the bag on the 2nd atempt it looks like it comes up short or right on the money but does not connect. he never threw coiled rope. they did do a good job i feel. but should have tryed to throw coiled rope too, I am not going to talk about the rescue-ee's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey... lay off the guy who saved the day

As one of the main voices in the video i can let you know some insight....

Both me and the other voice holding the camera had crippling injuries at this point in the season. Although we had years of experience that would have came in handy, we also had no way to put it to use. Luckly i had a pfd and rope in my truck at the time.

It was the best to give the pfd and rope to gary because although he had only a year of whitewater experience at that time, everyone knows his abilities to be extremely athletic approaching super human. I know he can throw a coiled rope and in a time sensitive rescue he very well might have tried. Its hard to tell in this video but that was about a 50 foot toss to a scared and inexperienced boater. After throwing a perfect toss the first time only to have the guy miss it it became obvious that accuracy was essential, and at that distance stuffing the bag was the only way to achieve it.

I've seen video of people surfing that hole for upwards of 15 min, only to have to seal the coffin to get out...

So i would say they were quite lucky that 4 local river guides were there that day to help them out of a dangerous situation.

Some other stuff people seem to miss:
A boogie boarder who tried to grab the boat and pull it out.... who was willing to try doing it again and again to save them.

The fact that this guy tried to use his child daughter as a current anchor.

The fact that the dog wasn't wearing a life jacket either.

The fact that after helping them get unstruck we took them their dog that was now with us only to get a earful of how they were fine, didn't need our help, and "do this all the time".... it was obvious they were drunk.

·
Sorry if I implied the guy on the bag was not doing a good job. He got the idiots out of the hole and that's what counts. Great job!

My statement was only made to encourage people to practice their bag skills.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Between the two video's posted, I'm seeing almost no helmets, what gives? Is there some magical harmlessness about the Payette that I'm missing?

·
Registered
539 Posts
The rapid is actually called "Go Left or You're Fired" (or F--ked).

The Main Payette is the main drag of whitewater in Southern Idaho. It's pretty mellow class 2/3, and gets a lot of traffic. A lot of first timers, beer-floaters, etc. The guide companies offer river board trips, and you'll frequently see people float the stretch on SUPs, inner tubes, and whatever else that might float.

Not that any stretch of whitewater should be taken lightly, or that proper safety gear shouldn't be used, but this is pretty tame as far as river situations go. At the same time, it is a legitimate situation and people could have died because the raft "captain" was, basically, a moron.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The guys without life jackets??? A lot of people die that way, the scientific term for that kind of death is "Testostorone Poisoning"
The ones without helmuts are trying to help their paddle captains. The paddle captains are practicing for a new Olympic sport. You get one point for every foot you get throw forward, and a bonus point for each passenger you take out either with you body or your paddle. Additional bonus points if they aren't wearing a helmut and you put them in the hospital. In that video I saw one go at least 12 feet forward and take out 5 people. He had to have gotten a score of at least 20. It would have been more if he would have stuck the landing. UPDATE: after further review it was a she. At the 1:09 mark.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Another re-throw technique is to fill the bag with water. It takes less time than the coil and it goes further, at least for me any way. I have also used two cans of Miller High Life in the throw bag for weight, and you bet your ass my buddy caught it. It is also acceptable, in my opinion, when surfing, to send out a human sea anchor but I wouldn't do it to my friends. If it was a commercial trip any customer would do but if it is a private, send out the boyfriend of the prettiest girl.

·
Registered
71 Posts
if he had coiled the rope he still would still be there trying to get it to the boat. That was a hell of a toss that quite frankly would not have been possible with a coiled rope. Thanks for your thoughtful, yet unsolicited, insight though.

·
Super Moderator
2,904 Posts
if he had coiled the rope he still would still be there trying to get it to the boat. That was a hell of a toss that quite frankly would not have been possible with a coiled rope. Thanks for your thoughtful, yet unsolicited, insight though.
^^^^This and below. Coiled rope doesn't go as far as stuffed.
Bag filled with water doesn't go as far as stuffed bag. Good job on saving some stupid people from themselves. People are so clueless on this stretch. This is the area where some folks rented a raft, decided the Main was too easy and drove up and launched on the NF Payette with family, kids, wives - the whole shit show. And ended very tragically.

As one of the main voices in the video i can let you know some insight....

Both me and the other voice holding the camera had crippling injuries at this point in the season. Although we had years of experience that would have came in handy, we also had no way to put it to use. Luckly i had a pfd and rope in my truck at the time.

It was the best to give the pfd and rope to gary because although he had only a year of whitewater experience at that time, everyone knows his abilities to be extremely athletic approaching super human. I know he can throw a coiled rope and in a time sensitive rescue he very well might have tried. Its hard to tell in this video but that was about a 50 foot toss to a scared and inexperienced boater. After throwing a perfect toss the first time only to have the guy miss it it became obvious that accuracy was essential, and at that distance stuffing the bag was the only way to achieve it.

I've seen video of people surfing that hole for upwards of 15 min, only to have to seal the coffin to get out...

So i would say they were quite lucky that 4 local river guides were there that day to help them out of a dangerous situation.

Some other stuff people seem to miss:
A boogie boarder who tried to grab the boat and pull it out.... who was willing to try doing it again and again to save them.

The fact that this guy tried to use his child daughter as a current anchor.

The fact that the dog wasn't wearing a life jacket either.

The fact that after helping them get unstruck we took them their dog that was now with us only to get a earful of how they were fine, didn't need our help, and "do this all the time".... it was obvious they were drunk.

·
no tengo
1,876 Posts
This is the area where some folks rented a raft, decided the Main was too easy and drove up and launched on the NF Payette with family, kids, wives - the whole shit show. And ended very tragically.
Do tell I don't think I have heard about this.

·
Super Moderator
2,904 Posts
Do tell I don't think I have heard about this.
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/bad-weekend-on-the-payettes-2-drownings-26708.html

They claimed they missed the put in or something. You can't drive up that road and think that this would be a good place to put my family and loved ones. They blew off the rental companies instructions on launch site, distances and suitable rafting areas. Really damn tragic but there are lots of folks who refuse to take the river seriously until it's too late.

"""Here's what the Statesman said:

BANKS, Idaho — Two people are dead after separate rafting accidents on the Payette River.
Emergency workers in Boise County were called to the first accident Saturday afternoon, when a raft holding 10 people on a family reunion hit a rapid and tipped, throwing two teenagers and a 47-year-old woman.
The teens were able to make it to shore, but Sharon Irene Barclay of Lakewood, Wash. became stuck under a log and drowned. Boise County Chief Deputy Dale Rogers says the group was in the water for less than 10 minutes when the raft tipped about three miles north of Banks."""

1 - 20 of 23 Posts