Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After meeting some Russians on the Grand a couple of years ago, this seemed just about right...
I think the initial river crossing might be my fave, but there's a head to rock ender in there that's a real winner too...and all the cat craft surfs...its all good!

Extreme Russian Way - YouTube

·
Registered
418 Posts
Awesome! Do you notice how most WW videos seem to edit out the carnage but the Russian video is ONLY carnage. Do they edit out the successful runs?

Oh, and are those life-vests inflatable pool floaties? I think I had one of those when I was a toddler.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure Nessy, but the pieced together craft, that the grand canyon russians i met in '09 had, was equally impressive. I'm trying to find the pictures I took so I can post them. They packed some of it up in luggage, on the flight, and mailed some it.
It was literally stitched together.
Man, they had a shit ton of vodka and scotch...and they liked to share. GOOD TIMES!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I know the Russian craft as the "Dah" (sp??). I barely speak english let alone Russian but I'm told it means "yes". I saw one on the Ark this summer. It was pretty impressive and creative for it's time. I like the "Super Duck" rig that myself and friends have been using for a number of years now due to it's lower center of gravity, more comfortable seating position, and improved stability. I've never posted a picture on the Buzz but maybe the link below will work.

SuperDuck Inflatable rig :: Zoom Flume 3660 cfs picture by mikeeh1954 - Photobucket

·
Registered
271 Posts
Star Wars boat

Not sure Nessy, but the pieced together craft, that the grand canyon russians i met in '09 had, was equally impressive. I'm trying to find the pictures I took so I can post them. They packed some of it up in luggage, on the flight, and mailed some it.
It was literally stitched together.
Man, they had a shit ton of vodka and scotch...and they liked to share. GOOD TIMES!
It reminds me of the Cloud City patrol spaceship from the Empire Strikes Back. It makes sense that Russian river runners would cobble together boats from salvaged military surplus, rather than spend all their money on brand name boats. Russia must be a gold mine of forgotten cold war stuff. The "Dah". I want one.

·
Super Moderator
3,889 Posts
Chunder City, Dude...

Here's a group I saw on the Grand a few years ago. Quite the rig!

·
Registered
579 Posts
forget the "dah" i want the shuttle vehicle!!! maybe then our crew would quite giving me crap about using my jeep.

..... oh yeah and the water looked good too.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Andy~
Were you on the grand March of 08? I can't find the pictures of our russian friends on my computer, but I swear that rig looks like what we saw! Window maker triangles EVERYWHERE, in between the pontoon tubes!!!!???
They said their crew kept ending up with like 4 permits a year and they just kept flyng/mailing their pieced out rig over and over and over!!!!

Adgesier~That rig is amazing, that water is not moving gently and they have no problem. Now, having only one kayak on top is a little bizarre!

Crazy Russians!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Way cool video

Some Gnarly Russians....would love to run that some day!!!!!

After meeting some Russians on the Grand a couple of years ago, this seemed just about right...
I think the initial river crossing might be my fave, but there's a head to rock ender in there that's a real winner too...and all the cat craft surfs...its all good!

Extreme Russian Way - YouTube

·
Super Moderator
3,889 Posts
Edna,

Not that year but you reminded me of this: One of the funniest things of the whole trip was going through the orientation lecture with Ranger Dave. He'd lecture earnestly for about 5 minutes on snakes & scorpions or whatever the topic was, then the Russian who spoke the some English would translate for what seemed about 10 or 15 seconds, they'd all laugh, and then turn back to Dave to continue the lecture.

We got ahead of them when they flipped and had lots of carnage at Badger, I think, or one of the other early rapids, then the next time we saw them they were portaging Lava. They had two of those cats made of nylon fabric tubes, fence pipe and wood, held together with tied ropes & webbing. I think it was Brady Black that shuttled them - he'd probably have more to add. Brady?

-AH

·
Registered
157 Posts
Check out a book called Brothers on the Bashkaus to read a great river story and to learn more about the history of russian rafting and its influence on western rafting and vice versa: Keep in mind many of those guys rafted (and still do,) on homemade equipment and for a while didnt have contact to the outside world. good read, highly recommended.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Andy~ those were our russians! I can't believe I had to look back on the year I went down, but we launched march 7,or 8 of 2009. Our Russians flipped in badger, definitely the same Russians. They came to our camp either the day of or after they flipped and kept saying they lost all their food in the flip, but it was okay because they had vodka! Then they would say they were kidding, they had enough food, but Russians always joke about NEVER running out of vodka.
Oh shit! I am totally remembering details now - they had the most amazing tent set up - it was like a circus tent. Shit, I have to find those picture files. Pretty sure the whole crew slept under the ginormous shelter.

Willie~that sounds awesome, I will definitely check it out! No multi-manufactured raft for the Russians, just some rubber, nylon, pipe, rope and wood! They were a total hoot!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I seriously remember something just like that on TV somewhere in like 1994. These craft inspired me to paddle. I used to build these little Russian catamaran out of leaves and twigs and run them down irrigation ditches, all day long, years before I got into paddling. It's cool to see this footage out there, but the guys I remember were running vertical drops clean on those things.. these guys are pretty hitshow by comparison haha.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really need to boat with more Russians. Studytime ~ That video was awesome! They were totally building their log frame at the put in! There was a crazy amount of awesomeness in that video.
What river do you think that was? I guess i could translate the credits on line, but if you know...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts