Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i git a kayak from walmart . But if i have to ill go alone. But looming to do.some whitewater. In.lacey wa area . Only have thiswl weekend to do it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
What did you purchase from Walmart? Make sure it is a proper whitewater kayak, as it will be very difficult to learn to whitewater kayak on something not designed for it.

Last weekend, I saw someone go down some class 3 rapids in some sort of lake boat. He got injured on the vary first set of rapids. Of course he had a lack of skills, so it made it worse. Which leads to my next advise, stick to class 2 rapids until you feel comfortable and can roll. You might not need to roll if you bought an inflatable kayak, but don't do class 3 water alone until you have at least some experience. I know some people seem to consider class 3 water a joke around here, but every noob I've see on class 3 water is swimming and getting banged up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My plan was to stick to a class 2 . There seems to be lost of rapids south of lacey and all over the olympic forest. It was a sundolphin. Buddy said buy one and when u get back when.can.float down the river in yelm. He actually told me about the whitewater fall with the redbull commercial. So off to cabellas i go after work tommorrow to get a skirt and a helmet.

·
Paddling in to the Future
574 Posts
hopefully its a sit on top or an inflatable. and like bystander said, if you're not familiar with whitewater, stick to class 2. or deeper class 3 so you don't risk getting banged up too bad in a swim. I haven't seen any whitewater boats available at walmart (at least online or in stores in Idaho)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Don't even bother doing class 3's in that boat. It is not meant for whitewater. If you are at all interested in whitewater, you should look at boats designed for it. It simply will not be very rewarding in that boat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kool. Ill stick to the 2s somwthing new and if i like it. When i get back from school.ill upgrade me a boat. And keep this one as a recreation boat i guess. Thanks for the advixe. I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
312 Posts
No problem. You might even consider starting with an inflatable whitewater kayak when that time comes. They have a much easier learning curve. You can learn to paddle before having to worry about rolling that way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ill keep that in mind. Guess tommorrow pick.the rest of the gear up and find a river for this weekend. Then.iys off to SERE. Thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well se thinking of hitting mckebna to thr power plant tommorrow its on my hone if i get there by 5 pm can this be accomplished by dark?

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts

Ha.

Don't put on a skirt. You will hurt yourself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's now my beer kayak, and fish kayak, and just cruise lake and class 1 kayak, im picking up a little one today off offerup, really thinking about hitting the water Friday after work on the nisqualmy, I googled a lot of that stuff, seems easy, maybe, ill fill up my tub and try a roll over. just messing.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Please tell me that you guys know this guy is just fucking with you...even back woods Republicans in Idaho don't sound this dumb. Deliverance, you're making me laugh :).

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 20 of 21 Posts