Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is this new kind of stress in my life...I can't decide what to do.

I used to live in the mountains living the life of a mountain man. I thought I was cool guy number 1. Man, did I hate front rangers. It is funny when I travel to the mountains today and get that cool guy vibe. I love it when someone up in the mountains asks me where I am from. I think I could say some other State like Vermont would go over better than saying Denver (probably because they are from the same place). The disapointment in their eyes is priceless.

I dreaded moving down to the front range, and now I know why I hate the front range...I am loosing hair over this. The problem is, I can't decide whether I should go ski 15 inches at the basin, kayak union shoots or bear creek, stick with my tee time at Fox Hollow, or hop on my mountain bike today. Spring baby! Where I used to live, we called it mud season. I can't believe how bad of shape i am in trying to decide what to do. I have been in this situation all winter long too, but my decision making skills are not any better. I wish someone would call and decide for me, but most of my loser city friends work on Tuesdays so they can flood recreational sites on the weekends.

Spring... this is why I left the mountains, and the school thing too, which is really what I should be doing...studying. I hate this state.

·
Registered
86 Posts
mountains

Union Chutes runs a few times a year and is polluted as hell, A-basin is closer to the mountains than the city and people vacation in the CO mountains from all over the world for the great golf courses, not the front range.

Personally I can't drive down into that brown cloud without starting to hack up a lung and getting itchy eyes. That's why I left!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Did the same thing 17 years ago. I biked this AM and hope to get to Union later. I always thought the cool guy was from outa state had just moved here and realized that it would be a cool state if not for all those Coloradans. Of course my freinds that stayed in the mountains have their own name for them. The Freshman Class. sj ps just got a call looks like another bike ride at 1 i love spring union tomorrow

·
Registered
498 Posts
:D I forgot to add. i hve been the cool guy Breck, lived in Boulder and now live in Highlands Ranch. so I am making fun of me as well as you so no getting pissy cuz it's all in good fun. sj

·
Super Moderator
4,035 Posts
Yep, I was that cool guy in Breck way back in the Scrapple days, then getting pulled back into the vortex for a summer here, a winter there, and a year off before grad school. Keeping the connections and a bit of my heart hanging off the Ten Mile Range. Now I'm living the life I used to say I'd never lead, stepping onto a bus with a briefcase in my hand most mornings, and its just fine with me to be down here.

--Andy

·
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
621 Posts
Well mountains in the summer are ok if waking up early to temps in the 30's and haveing to carve the ice off the driver side windows knowing your headed to the river is cool. But the front range is where all the action is in the summer. Warm temps beautiful nights, big lakes to wake board, lots of kayaking, climbing, mountian biking, hiking and just about everything colorado has to offer us outsiders. Plus the clincher is most of that list can be done year round. Ya its sweet to be 10 minutes from the runs, but down here its any season you want all year long. Kayak in the morning, go for a killer bike ride early afternoon, maybe a run or head to the bar for a few beers after lunch and onto the lakes for the night glass behind the boat, we got it all!

·
Registered
253 Posts
this is an interesting topic. wife and i did the FR thing for almost 7 years, and then moved to the small mountain town to "escape and simplify." however, you quickly remember and covet the things you escaped from - convenient shopping, more dining choices, lots of activities, close friends and neighbors, and the list goes on.

at the risk of being further alienated up here, one thing that really bugs us is the lack of community here for folks our age. we are early 30's with no kids, and after being here for over a year we have no close friends. the neighborhood we left in NW denver was very close, and we did frequent dinners, movies, and bbq's with several friends from the neighborhood. nothing like that here though - it seems like no one wants to commit time to friendship because of the transient nature of the community. i also think it is the result of the "cool guy vibe" referenced by howlie, as most younger folks have not come to realize how rewarding and enjoyable it is to have a close group of friends (that are more than bong buddies). maybe i am just the old fart wannabe, since i don't ride the pipe or throw big tricks on southy. i doubt this will be the permanent move we envisioned, and we will probably migrate back to the FR at some point in the future.

and to be sure, mud season is at its peak up here. the local golf course is open in eagle, but you can't get too far off the valley trails without finding some slime. i would say play nine at the canyon course, and then head to union chutes for a surf session after. later.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Everything has it's pro's and con's.

For example. Front Range is crowded and smoggy. But it has more females and better job opportunities.

Mountains are clean and not as crowded but there is less job opportunities and woman seem to be kind of scarce.

This pro and con could go on forever! But you shouldn't blame a location for your stress or unhappiness. It's not the mountains fault or the front range's fault, it is just a place and people put the label on it.

just my 2 cents

·
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
621 Posts
Marko hit it true, as much as location matters in happiness and stress levels, where you live is what you make it. The mountains can be great, lots of skiing and cold water, shorter biking and climbing season but still fun. Quiet and calm, yet not much to do or people to meet if your not the type that will go out and find it. FR is crowded but you can finds you pockets of relative peace, and once into the foothills the smog can be seen left behind. Warm weather, more people in less of a transient mode of life and the relaxing sense of choice which is the summer on the front range is what its all about for the people that don't want the mountain life. Plus your not jumping over muddy walkways in the middle of town.

·
Registered
68 Posts
hmmmm......

I have nothing bad to say about either location.

Front Range is comparitively crowded but one gets the benefits that come with that. More people= diversity but it also = traffic and dirt. I miss all my Front Range friends and the social opportunities they helped provide.
I can still drive down anytime. Plus, i'm sorry folks, Denver really is a big town/small city. Unless you live in the far 'burbs (why?), it doesn't take more than 15 to get anywhere. note: Highlands Ranch is NOT Denver.

We moved ("we" being the operative word- being single in the mts. would blow) into a pretty rare area. There is all the food, culture and art you want in this valley. The price of admission is higher though. Everything costs a little more. It takes committment to make it work. Jobs are tougher to come by in most industries. You either need to come with the gig lined up or be patient and willing to do whatever it takes in between.

We might end up back down there someday. I won't complain (I don't think). I'll ski a quarter as much, though.

I know people get down on the Front Range. I think it's b/c they're not totally committed to where they are. That's the only reason people get defensive about anything. They're unsure.

PS- Denver's air quality IS pretty poor.

just thinking out loud and really wanted to see my avatar

·
Registered
122 Posts
So to add my 2 cents, I just moved to Boulder (oh, my god) after living in Vail for the past 10 years. It's been a weird transition as I read about this creek running and this wave is up...all I think about is being there.

Then I weigh it out and say oh now you have a paycheck year round and are potentially looking at a better quality of life or am I.

Miss my crew in the Valley
DP

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mountains?

No offense, but isn't Summit County basically a sub. of Denver these days anyhow? I can't stand being up there to ski or do anything outdoors there...there are nearly as many people on the slopes/trails as there are on the sidewalks downtown. I agree that Breck. is a pretty cool place, but I don't consider it a "true" mountain town.

Just my $0.02...and I'm a FRer...

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't know matty. Although i just said i was part of the front range not Denver. It only takes me 20 min off peak to be Downtown and I go about evryother week for various events. And when the new transport is done. I walk 2 blocks to the bus stop short ride to the lite rail into town. I guess i feel i am part of the city. Eventho i ride south for 3 miles and I am in the country saw 4 mulies and a yearling elk on my ride just now. You are correct tho in the size. I go to Boston and Chicago most every year for family and as I tell them. Cow town yeah but coolest cow town in the world:).

And as to why. Commute 7 min to work for my wife in the tech center and Money. it seemed the place to invest in realestate at the time. And my house has appreciated over 150% in the last 10 years. Oh and the school system is one of the best in the west. And it only takes us 1hour and 50 min to get up 285 to out place in Breck no I-70. So lots of reasons but I bet i have a few more kids and about a decade on you so we are diffrent and that is the point of this thread I guess to each his own.

K2boater I never switched freinds or lost freinds when i moved. I boat and ski with the same people I did 20 years ago. Don't give up make it work. sj

·
Registered
68 Posts
well taken...

All points well taken, SJ . You got me on the kids (for now).

I shouldn't talk poorly of anywhere. I'm just really fond of the Wash Park area and everything else feels SO suburban to me. Take that as you will. Your dollar probably gets you 2000 more square feet where you are... I'll try to avoid getting down on anywhere.

Even Peoria has it's selling points (not comparing the Ranch and Peoria).

·
Registered
305 Posts
And livin in the Virgin Islands was great other than the tourists till it got old too....
But with out the tourists I'd have gone hungry...

·
Registered
685 Posts
I chose to set roots in Boulder County just outside of Ned. For me, it is the best of both worlds. 25 minutes above Boulder without all of the associated crime, smog, traffic conjestion, cost of living, tight living conditions, etc. that goes with the city.

However, I am close enough to Boulder for quality employment and business opportunities, public schools, great restaurants, live music, women (look only as I am married), college, cultural diversity, Whole paycheck (Whole Foods), warm weather, and traditional sports, if your into any of those things.

Ned is 10 minutes to Eldora for area skiing. I know a lot of ski snobs might stick there nose up at El dough dough, but there is very good tree skiing, no lift lines, no traffic hassles, lots of tele skiers, great spring powder, and OB opportunities.

You also have Indian Peaks for backcountry skiing, backpacking; climbing; and mountain biking. For boating, you have the Front Range creeks, and many of the major rivers (Poudre, Eagle, Ark, Colorado) are 1 1/2 to 2 hours away.

Boulder County also has lots of open space, progressive planning towards the outdoors, as well as property is a good investment.

Ned is still funky and down to earth for the most part. It is changing slowly, however, it will never be a tourist destination like the major resort towns and will hopefully never be as developed as Evergreen or Genisee.

The front rangers that are down on Boulder are probably jealous. For a city, Boulder has a lot to offer and is probably out of their price range. It is out of my price range. :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts