Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to see some new water. ran shoshone enough that i am bored with it, ran roaring fork from wood creek to basalt enough that even in my 11' cat i am kind of bored with it. ran slaughter house in my 14' cat at 1700, and though it is a great run, i never seem to be able to find another boat to go along and i want to go camping this weekend.

i have not been on the upper colorado since 1988. so i was thinking about heading over there for the weekend. maybe camp out friday night, the float saturday, camp out on the river and float a bit sunday and then home.

but, other than reading a few threads here, not sure what i will find. is there any camping to be found at these levels? or is the river so fast that i will run out of river in a couple of hours? i am not afraid of big water, in fact that is what i desire, just something different than the 10 minute shoshone run.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I ran it Sunday- just under 9000. 4 1/2 hours from pump house to state bridge.....and the stretch from state bridge to two bridges is closed due to low clearance at two bridges. Most of the campsites were under water- but not all. You could camp at pump house and float to State each day.....just be sure you know the lines at eye of the needle and especially Yarmony.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i ran from pumphouse to state bridge. i must have been on a different river than everyone is talking about, i had to get on the computer when i got home to find the rapids! i kept thinking, it must be up around that next bend. it surely could not have been that little wave train i just went through.

i had a guy rowing my 11' mini-cat, he had NO experience rowing anything and never once had any kind of issue. i was running my 14' cat and through the entire run from pumphouse to state bridge i saw only ONE hole that i thought could be a problem for a boat over 12'. maybe if you hit it sideways you could dump a boat, but otherwise, nothing.

know my lines? what lines? the colorado from grizzly creek to glenwood is bigger than anything i saw yesterday! i bought into the fear of boat eating holes, constantly on the look out for a BIG rapid that i would have to pay attention to. but, i must have been on the wrong river. shoshone at these levels is intimidating but even that is point it down river and go for a ride.

the thought crossed my mind as to whether i was the butt of a joke.

the scenery was good, and it is always good to see new terrain, and i wanted to get some camping in, it was a good trip. it just was not a whitewater trip! slaughterhouse last weekend, pumphouse down this weekend. opposite ends of the spectrum!

where exactly do people have trouble on that run?

·
Registered
72 Posts
That run gives people trouble because they do it it with their 4 year old kid, midget dog, and pregnant wife in a 1982 leaky bucket Avon and don't push off the ramp until 5pm.

It's got weird eddy lines that can flip lighter rafts along the walls (like every other canyon run... ever)... and putting the aforementioned crew in the water - any water - is stressful as shit. It's all relative...

well, i ran from pumphouse to state bridge. i must have been on a different river than everyone is talking about, i had to get on the computer when i got home to find the rapids! i kept thinking, it must be up around that next bend. it surely could not have been that little wave train i just went through.

i had a guy rowing my 11' mini-cat, he had NO experience rowing anything and never once had any kind of issue. i was running my 14' cat and through the entire run from pumphouse to state bridge i saw only ONE hole that i thought could be a problem for a boat over 12'. maybe if you hit it sideways you could dump a boat, but otherwise, nothing.

know my lines? what lines? the colorado from grizzly creek to glenwood is bigger than anything i saw yesterday! i bought into the fear of boat eating holes, constantly on the look out for a BIG rapid that i would have to pay attention to. but, i must have been on the wrong river. shoshone at these levels is intimidating but even that is point it down river and go for a ride.

the scenery was good, and it is always good to see new terrain, and i wanted to get some camping in, it was a good trip. it just was not a whitewater trip! slaughterhouse last weekend, pumphouse down this weekend. opposite ends of the spectrum!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
3:47 of this video, to answer your question. The river has dropped 2000 cfs this week- Yarmony is a boat flipper at 8900. On Memorial day weekend day you had families stumbling into the center of this without a clue....

http://youtu.be/AXtOZ4yyjww

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
10 Posts
Upper Colorado

You might have been on a different river! Granted, there are definitely a couple of lines to know. The moves are quite simple though. We were up there a couple of weeks ago at 8k and had to rescue a swimmer and tie up a lost boat. We saw 2 rafts flip. Fortunately, all people were ok. That's great that you have paddled places like Slaughterhouse. I have as well. Just remember, don't lose respect for the river. One day it will fuck you up.

·
Registered
22 Posts

wow dude you're so cool, I bet you H'd up Yarmony

·
Registered
55 Posts
Never underestimate this stretch of river. Two holes develop and are nasty flippers around 5000 to 8000: Needles Eye and Yarmony. A lot of carnage at these levels for those that enter these holes. This stretch should be marketed as a float trip with two must miss holes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts