Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Rogue crested at 42,000 at Grants Pass and 69,000 at Agness. This is what Grave Creek look like at 42,000 the 2 pipe stacks are the toilets in the parking lot. Lots of debris coming down including full size trees. We may have a repeat on Wednesday. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
I see it topped out @80,000 at Agness. I wonder what Mule Creek Canyon looks like at that level and Blossom Bar? Probably a big sticky holes at blossom, nothing exposed......

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have read Horseshoe bend is the most dangerous at that flow.Rainey is flat water! Blossom bar has a huge hole created by the VW rock and a monster wave the full width of the river.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I see it topped out @80,000 at Agness. I wonder what Mule Creek Canyon looks like at that level and Blossom Bar? Probably a big sticky holes at blossom, nothing exposed......
I have only heard, but from a reliable source that between 10k and 12k Mule creek canyon is filled in and just swift water and the wave rock at Blossom makes a meaty hole. At 80k I would guess it is all just fast water with strange hydraulics off the walls. I would have loved to see a photo or Rainie Falls. There is a video out there somewhere of jetboats jumping Rainie at 25k.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I launched at 35k one time. Rainie did not exist, but there were new rapids in new locations, horseshoe was nasty the river splits into a side channel then rejoins the main river; there was a huge deep whirlpool where it re-enters. Near Kelsey where the river narrows there were some roiling hydraulics and large deep whirlpool. We had a difficult time knowing our exact location, most landmarks were under water. Mule creek was above the lower canyon but it was still churning and boiling in the upper canyon, quite similar but much bigger. Blossom was enormous Grand Canyon size holes the right side had enormous holes. We ran it similar to the regular route skirting the Crystal size hole in the center where the hook rock is. You had to pull hard to escape the hole behind volkswagon rock. I think total river time was about 5 hours. We stayed at Mule creek and pulled our rafts in at the upper beach where we normally camp. It was very pushy, we had to work really hard against the current, much stronger than the GC.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thanks for the play by play. it sounds amazing. I have run a few rivers at flood stage and can imagine how much the river changes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts