Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I've been boating with standard Keen sandals over my Kokatat drysuit socks. I want to get a better pair of dedicated water boots. I've been looking at the Velocity and WorkBoot from NRS but should I be looking at anything else. Here is what I need.

Descent support for hiking but not too awkward stiff when I go for a swim. traction that will not harm a raft while walking on the floor all day.

Also when I get to camp I would like to be able to walk around the beach for a while without sand getting in the boot or the water ports.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have had a pair of the NRS Workboot for a number of years and I really like them. I don't always wear them but when I do they are great. I use them with bare feet and over dry suit booties and they are great for both.

·
Banned
258 Posts
All the NRS stuff I have used has been junk, haven't tried anything from them since 2014 though. Keens always trap rocks and gravel.

These are pretty much the best if you are doing technical boating and need to scramble on rocks or walk or stay in your frame. They aren't hurky like the atb so you can still swim good and way better traction then atb
5:10
image.jpeg

·
Registered
947 Posts
I believe if you boat alot, your shoes will be junk in no time, especially if you live in a humid climate. I can't justify spending much on something so disposable. You can find military surplus "trainer" boots for really cheap, and they are super well built.

Sorry for the huge pic

·
Registered
538 Posts
All the NRS stuff I have used has been junk, haven't tried anything from them since 2014 though. Keens always trap rocks and gravel.

These are pretty much the best if you are doing technical boating and need to scramble on rocks or walk or stay in your frame. They aren't hurky like the atb so you can still swim good and way better traction then atb
View attachment 11083
Ive had these for two season, had to put some rivets in the pull strap on back because I tore both first time using. Great shoes, but like others have said, water destroys shoes.

NRS has the Velocity which look like they might last at least a season. I have the NRS Crush and they are awesome:
NRS Velocity Water Shoe at nrs.com

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've always just worn my wading shoes when I'm in a dry suit (which usually means OC1) and that's worked well for me. Others' mileage may vary. Most of the boaters around here like the 5.10s with the Astral Rasslers coming in second. Some of the old timers I know swear by sneakers with the laces tucked in.

·
Banned
258 Posts
I do run a wading boot sometimes, these are awesome lightweight yet support well. Felt soles work awesome but everyone has a invasive species phobia now a days.

That NRS velocity reminds me of grandpa walking through walmart with his velcro shoes, holy ugly.
image.jpeg

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

View attachment 11083
Thanks everyone for their input so far. I'm seeing some great ideas.

GreenWall, what is the model of that one? Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe if you boat alot, your shoes will be junk in no time, especially if you live in a humid climate. I can't justify spending much on something so disposable. You can find military surplus "trainer" boots for really cheap, and they are super well built.

Sorry for the huge pic
I will say, 3 years ago I started using a spare pair of decent (Belleville) desert combat boots that were 2 sizes too big for fly fishing with my waders and they've out-performed and out-lasted any name-brand boots I've had for scrambling on rocks and getting around mossy areas and such. So far every raft trip I've preferred sandals, but I'd have no problem with the boots.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
The Astral mid height boot is way lighter and seems to be higher quality from the Water Tennie. Water Tennies never lasted more than a season for me. They also stay wet. I much prefer the Astral so far but just have a dozen days on them.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Someone mentioned canyoneering boots so during my search I found a smokin deal on these adidas (called the hydro) They look similar to the 5.10 canyoneering boots but something I found out is that canyoneering boots do not have drain holes to drain water. (that seems wrong since they are made for walking in water all day) They just hold the water inside until you take them off. has anyone tried boots like that and is the retained water a problem/distraction?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Astral mid height boot is way lighter and seems to be higher quality from the Water Tennie. Water Tennies never lasted more than a season for me. They also stay wet. I much prefer the Astral so far but just have a dozen days on them.
I can't find anything labeled the "mid height" is it the same thing as the Hiyak?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, I can tell I'm losing my fans with this thread, but I really do need help with this last question. How much larger do you size a rafting boot to wear with your DrySuit? I wear an 11.5 normally so I was thinking of a 12. I'm planning on wearing a thin neoprene sock inside the Dry suit and putting the drysuit sock direct into the boot without any additional layers. Good?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I agree to one full size. I do smart wool ultra light ski sock first, drysuit and then a 0.5mm NRS sock over drysuit to protect drysuit sock in boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 20 of 27 Posts