Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I can't take another day at the office. I'm going to kill everyone. I wear a tie, stare at a computer, go home, repeat. Even my football teams are disappointing me! I'm quitting after the holidays and floating until I'm broke and hungry.

I have a Grand Canyon trip in late April and I want to extend it a bit. I've been doing some reading about trips on the Green, and I've run Cat. So here's what I want to do:

I want to launch somewhere on the Green in late March or early April and float for a few weeks. I'm willing to pay for shuttles around dams and lakes. I'm also wiling to hammer out miles or take extra layover days to make this work. I don't want to use a motor.

I don't know a lot about these stretches and I thought I had better get some beta, especially for anything I need a permit for.

What's it like below Desolation? If I ran Deso/Grey could I keep going until Lake Foul? I'd love to meet a shuttle and head straight to Lees on 4/26 for more time on the river. Any beta on flows, permits, or other recommendations would be appreciated. Also, anyone who wants to join up for this adventure is welcome. I'm willing to do a lot of it by myself if I need to. I could certainly use the solitude.

Thanks in advance for your experience and advice here. I'm sure I can read read read about this, but this seems like a way for you good folks to help me plan the perfect two months on the river!

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
the only thing between the deso takeout and laby/stillh2o is the low head dam just above the town of green river, but its not too bad. you could conceivably float from flaming gorge to powell uninterrupted, portage around powell and float as far as south cove......thats a lot of miles.

if you could snag a yampa permit at the same time you could put in at the head of juniper canyon and float unimpeded to hite

·
Registered
224 Posts
You could start on Lodore, however any stretches of the green will be low that time of year, permits for Lodore and Deso should be easy to come by(early and cold). You will need a shuttle between Split Mountain and Sand wash. I don't think you need a permit for Labtynth/Stillwater, but will need one for Cat, or could take out at Spanish Bottom, or you could get a tow back up to Potash from the confluence. I've never run below Green River Utah(takeout for Deso), I hear it is flat but beautiful, kinda the Kate Moss of rivers. Sounds like a fun adventure. Wife and mortgage will prevent me from coming along, but it could be done quite easily, and would be a good notch in your river belt. Good Luck!

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
I hate you. No, really, I hate you.

But I would love to come along and do Deso/Labyrinth/Stillwater or Cat over my Spring Break- last week in March/ first week in April- wherever you are about that time. I'm applying for another Salt permit for that time, but if not...

Deso would actually be cool to do again with the new rapid.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate you. No, really, I hate you.

But I would love to come along and do Deso/Labyrinth/Stillwater or Cat over my Spring Break- last week in March/ first week in April- wherever you are about that time. I'm applying for another Salt permit for that time, but if not...

Deso would actually be cool to do again with the new rapid.
You had better join me for your Spring Break! Bring Bill. Of course you could just quit your job too. If you get that Salt permit maybe I'll start there and then head up to the Green! Keep me in mind...

Don't forget to do that thing on Monday morning. Nobody has done it yet so it can still be done. You know the thing I'm talking about.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
I know the thing- I'm on it. You are welcome on the Salt- in fact we should coordinate permits. And no one "brings" Bill. He brings himself...and all that that entails.

Oh, and if a spot opens on your Grand permit, I am quitting my job. Maybe I'll become a veterinarian- at least I could put them down if they act up.

You had better join me for your Spring Break! Bring Bill. Of course you could just quit your job too. If you get that Salt permit maybe I'll start there and then head up to the Green! Keep me in mind...

Don't forget to do that thing on Monday morning. Nobody has done it yet so it can still be done. You know the thing I'm talking about.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
Do you mean vegetarian? You hang out with too many hippy chics.

I tell chicks I'm a veterinarian all the time. It's not all it cracks up to be.

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you mean vegetarian? You hang out with too many hippy chics.
Hell no! I'm eating a waffle with bacon in the middle of it right now! Though in my experience veggie chicks do love the meat...

Rich, thanks for the heads up, I'll get in contact with him.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Don't read to much make it a true adventure, that's 80 percent of the journey and excitement involved in doing such a trip. The unknown has always been exciting to me, once you done it the next time is old hat. You took the biggest and boldest first step, and that is always the hardest decision to make, but sounds like you are a true adventurer to me. You are going to have a kick ass time. Stay posted and don't count me out.

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks so much for all the advice everyone. I've looked into it some, and read a couple of great private messages with details, and it's definitely possible. That doesn't mean that it's the best time of year for all of this. I'm thinking that March is too cold to run the higher stuff, but I'd like to hear what everyone thinks. Where would you start?

Super Western River trip 2009
3/20-22 – Flaming Gorge Dam to Dinosaur National Monument
46 miles
• No permit necessary
• 10 year flow average for March/April: 1,360-1,370

3/23-27 – Dinosaur National Monument to Jensen, UT (Gates of the Lodore)
59 miles
• Permits needed for Brown’s Park (“play-permit”), Lodore, Below Split Mountain (“play permit”): Contact Dinosaur Natl. Monument River Office at (970) 374-2468 on 3/2/08 between 8am and 12pm $200+ including $15 application fee

3/28-4/1 – Jensen, UT to Desolation Canyon Launch
83 miles
• No permit necessary
• 10 year flow average near Greendale, UT for March/April: 2,740-4,760

4/2-4/8 – Desolation Canyon Launch to Green River, UT (Desolation/Gray canyons)
94 miles
• Permits required for Desolation and Labyrinth Canyons: Contact BLM at (435) 636-0975 on 11/3/08 between 8am and 12pm for Desolation Canyon. Labyrinth permit is free, print and carry a copy, leaving one copy at put-in. $20 application fee + $25 per person + $10 transaction fee if paid later than reservation time.

4/9-4/23 – Green River, UT to Dirty Devil/Colorado confluence
176 miles
• Permit required for Cataract Canyon: $30 for 40 people, Send in application any time after January 2, 2009.
• 10 year flow average at Green River, UT above 3,000 CFS (more after Colorado/Green Confluence)

4/24-25 – Rest and travel to Lee’s Ferry, AZ

4/26-5/18 – Lee’s Ferry to Diamond Creek or South Cove on Lake Mead
225-297 miles
• Permit already acquired

Total river miles: 683-755
Total permit cost $275 plus $10 transaction fee and additional people in Deso/Grey

·
Super Moderator
3,888 Posts
Total permit cost $275 plus $10 transaction fee
Total ripoff dude... :)

I had the pleasure of flying over Split Mt. & Lodore last March and my thought was that one better bring the cold-weather gear with you. 1200 - 1400 cfs on Lodore's a great flow and is much more fun than at the lower flows (800 - 1000) you'd expect. Lodore being Class III is good when one considers the added risks the temperature/weather can throw at you.

Another good thing in terms of safety is that you should have no problem hooking up with other boaters for big days on Cat portion of the trip. Deso would be a sweet solo trip if you should choose. Labyrinth and Stillwater are fantastic and shouldn't be discounted in terms of the experience.

Have a good trip - I'm envious.

-AH

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm also willing to promote this thing and collect sponsorship donations in order to raise awareness for a good cause. AW reps? Anyone else have suggestions? Anyone want to put a jar out at their shop?

Any ideas for grants, or funding would certainly help. I need about $2-3k for this little adventure.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Do you have enough lay-over days planned in there? I would plan at least one layover day a week, maybe even a few extra days before Lee's for the "group effort" that it will take and to really recharge before the BIG ONE! How about restocking days in between?

And don't forget the tribal permit to camp on the eastern back of Deso.

Wow, looking forward to hearing your planning over these non-boating winter months.

·
Beginner
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you have enough lay-over days planned in there? I would plan at least one layover day a week, maybe even a few extra days before Lee's for the "group effort" that it will take and to really recharge before the BIG ONE! How about restocking days in between?
Yep. They are built in. The average for the 35 days above Lake Foul is 13 miles per day. If I can average 17 miles per day I'll get 9 rest/restock days. I spaced them out to give me a rest day in Lodore, one in Deso, and 2 rest days on the Green River-Dirty Devil section. There are also 3 built in re-stock days and two "extra days". After Dirty Devil I have two full days to get to Lee's and launch. Even with a 15 mile per day average I'll be right on track.

My big concern is the temps. Has anyone run Lodore in late March?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts