Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
On the river book topic; River of Doubt. About Teddy Roosevelts expedition of the Amazon tributary. Magnificent shit storm. After reading I think I would have rather invited the hardships encountered on Powell’s GC expedition. (Be a great thread topic in itself) Pretty much made any desire I might ever have for exploring a deep jungle river disappear. But a great read or audio to have on a trip…..as I find listening to the like after a “rough” day will make that hole in your boat or spilled cooler seem minuscule
I read books like that and think "if only"...if only Powell had a flat-bottomed boat with some rocker, the Grand would have been an easier trip...if only Roosevelt had taken the Canadian voyageur canoes, Rio da Dúvida would have been a much less trying trip.
Or to the topic of the thread...packrafts!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have.

It took 5 days to get up and over and down to boatable water on the upper Selway. I was carrying the kayak up to snow line and then snowshoeing over the divide. I would have probably been over twice as fast with a packraft. Trail was a mess coming down Swet creek, with a few miles of blow down. But, my beta is old and likely there are better ways.
sweet! The fact a hardshell could get through Swet Creek is very encouraging.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I haven't done that hike, but on the topic of pacrrafts and jungle, I recommend the book: Mother of God.

"Mother of God: An Extraordinary Journey into the Uncharted Tributaries of the Western Amazon" - Paul Rosolie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone! Me and a buddy of mine did an awesome loop last year: Corn Creek to Corn Creek on the Main Salmon in 9 days. We floated to McKay Bar, hiked over into Big Creek and paddled that out. We had a June 19th launch on the Main. For the Middle Fork S we don't need a lottery win because we paddle it in 1 day from the confluence with Big Creek.

This year we want to do a bigger trip: start on the S Fork Salmon, paddle to the confluence with the Main, hike over to Big Creek and paddle Big Creek, Middle Fork and Main Salmon to Riggins or Vinegar or if the Main launch date is not ideal with our timing, maybe float back to McKay Bar and fly out from there to McCall. But we want to do it a bit later, so we need a Main S launch permit for July 10th or 11th, maybe we could make a 9th work or a 12th.

We would be self-support packrafts so we're not looking to piggy back on raft gear, just to float along so we can make the trip happen.

Let me know if you can help!
Thanks,
Adrian
I just picked up a July 10th Main permit, and you are welcome to come along! Send me a message.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts