Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Me and a buddy of mine did an awesome loop last year: Corn Creek to Corn Creek on the Main Salmon in 9 days. We floated to McKay Bar, hiked over into Big Creek and paddled that out. We had a June 19th launch on the Main. For the Middle Fork S we don't need a lottery win because we paddle it in 1 day from the confluence with Big Creek.

This year we want to do a bigger trip: start on the S Fork Salmon, paddle to the confluence with the Main, hike over to Big Creek and paddle Big Creek, Middle Fork and Main Salmon to Riggins or Vinegar or if the Main launch date is not ideal with our timing, maybe float back to McKay Bar and fly out from there to McCall. But we want to do it a bit later, so we need a Main S launch permit for July 10th or 11th, maybe we could make a 9th work or a 12th.

We would be self-support packrafts so we're not looking to piggy back on raft gear, just to float along so we can make the trip happen.

Let me know if you can help!
Thanks,
Adrian

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We were the dory group camped at Mackay bar last year on 6/22 when you hiked through, and were a topic of our conversation for the next week! Epic trip!
We launched on the 19th from Corn (3 of us), slept 1 night on the Main and the 2nd night we slept on the S Fork just upstream of the confluence. So it was probably another group. Were there 11 in the group you saw? I have a good story about them if you PM me :) We met them on the route. There was also another group of 2 that launched I think a day before us. Busy route towards the end of non lottery season :)

Adrian

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
yep, 11 packrafts in the group we saw.

That’s funny…we were a group of 9 dories.
2 more were downstream of us…3 were upstream…we all checked in at Corn Creek on 6/17.
You were most likely behind us…or passed us at Allison Ranch?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep, 11 packrafts in the group we saw.

That’s funny…we were a group of 9 dories.
2 more were downstream of us…3 were upstream…we all checked in at Corn Creek on 6/17.
You were most likely behind us…or passed us at Allison Ranch?
I would have remembered a group of 9 dories! We got to Mackay bar on the 20th around noon. I think you were already downstream by then?

·
Registered
215 Posts
We launched on the 19th from Corn (3 of us), slept 1 night on the Main and the 2nd night we slept on the S Fork just upstream of the confluence. So it was probably another group. Were there 11 in the group you saw? I have a good story about them if you PM me :) We met them on the route. There was also another group of 2 that launched I think a day before us. Busy route towards the end of non lottery season :)

Adrian
C'mon. Out with it. This isn't a place where funny/interesting/embarrassing/incriminating stories hide on PMs.

Reactions: BenSlaughter

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a particularly bad memory, so I asked my buddy that was with me. But that is a nice site, I have to admit! Especially because I just recently read The Emerald Mile.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
There's a private museum at Allison Ranch and a story there about doryman Bronco Bruchak borrowing Mrs. Frances Zaunmiller Wisner's ironing board (she was living at Campbell's Ferry at the time) to fix his transom after a wreck.
Lots of stories about dories to go around not only the Grand, but the Salmon.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Have you ever hiked from Corn Creek to Paradise? If so, got any info on trail choice and conditions?

sorry, can’t help you on the main permit but have had luck with late cancellations in the past.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts