Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant take credit for this "perfect beverage holder" because I first saw Terry with one while rafting the North Fork John Day in the Blue's of Oregon. Pick up some schedule 40 in four inch black plastic pipe, a four inch cap, and a regular NRS u-bolt, assuming you have an NRS frame. Cut your pipe to the length of a beer coozy, drill holes in your cap (Gotta have a self bailer!), file your pipe to fit the cap, then file the rest of the beverage holder to eliminate any sharp edges. Once filed, drill holes for the u-bolt and attatch the "perfect beverage holder" to your frame without washers (you wont have room). This thing rocks, it will accommidate a beer/soda can in a coozy, or a full sized nalgene. I highly recommend this thing, its awesome!

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
They sell a similar item called a river Betty, has a lid, and slots for your camstrap to tie it to a thort or a frame. You can build one for a bit cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
2,835 Posts
The top one looks like it would hurt. I picture all kinds of mystery bruises on the rowers legs, from getting tossed around and bumping it. And while I know people say not to worry about weight when rafting, the bottom example might be over the top, but i guess thats what you get in Arkansas.

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
I picture all kinds of mystery bruises on the rowers legs, from getting tossed around and bumping it.
ditto - you may want to add "mystery lacerations and gashes" if you're running anything over Class II

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cool idea. We are all a bit picky on what we rig our boats with. Me? I can't imagine running serious water with that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The beer holder NRS sells is pretty good, but the corners of the mounting bracket are sharp as hell so you need to file them down. The coosie with the flap keeps out most of the river water and stays in the bracket 95% of the time. I don't think it's worth the $20, but whatever.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I wrap velcro (fuzzie side) around my coozie and slap the other side any where I want, cooler, pfd, dry box, back of chair. A bit of urethane wader patch keeps it held fast wherever you want to keep a cold one.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here's some pics of a DIY beer holder I made last season.

It was pretty simple to make:

- Set bottle and koozie on counter. Set sharpie on top of Koozie with tip on bottle and rotate bottle to mark a straight cut line
- Cut along line and cut a small slit near bottom of bottle for a strap
- Drill or cut a few holes in bottom of bottle for drainage

I also tried using a spare water bottle cage, mounted in the same manner as this holder, but with thicker koozies, it's harder to get can in and out. Water bottle cages work fine with thinner, neoprene koozies.

I also got some cheap can toppers (with flip-up lid over drinking hole) from amazon to keep the beer in the can and water out.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Nice riverjunky. I have one just like that made by river connection and its made of steel. Its no more of a shin buster than an ammo can. I usually rig it a little loose so it will move in the event of hitting it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts