Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read about this last night on the Landslide Blog. It's terrifying to consider what may have happened to any downstream communities when the wall of water came down the valley. Here's the post with a video of the overtopping. Hopefully the mine tailings piles in the US are better stabilized than this....

·
Registered
211 Posts
Or.........from corporations doing business across the border in Canada dumping into the Columbia River entering Washington State..

• For nearly a century, the Canadian smelter pumped slag, a byproduct of metals refining, directly into the river. More than 10 million tons of the granular slag created the “black sand” beaches of the upper Columbia, a 150-mile reach of the river between the Canadian border and Grand Coulee Dam.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I teach enviro science and we spend a decent amount of time looking at mine tailing dam failures. We have had plenty of bad ones in the US, and the "clean up" is mind bogglingly expensive, and I personally do not think areas ever fully recover. Plainly Difficult on youtube
has done a bunch of damn failures, and there is a lot to be learned, but, brace yourself, there is a ton of heartbreak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts