Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
The new rapid at the top, dubbed "Hall Pass", is a kick in the pants! SO much fun. It makes 1400cfs feel like 3000. The constricted channel makes it fast, fun, and splashy. It's no where near a class IV, but the new horizon lines still give you the pucker factor. I've been running Shoshone for over 20 years and I100% would recommend.

Sarahkonamojo is exactly right about it shifting again next spring. You've got to catch this iteration while it's still there.

Grizzly is open again for shuttles. Sunday saw some traffic with the front range weekend warriors struggling to merge (typical front range driving, lol) but overall shuttles took ~10 min. Have fun out there!
I drove past it on Friday, looks like a fun wave train with a lot of splashy waves.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I ran it Saturday for the first time. I'll echo what lisacanoes said. A bit of pucker just 'cause it's new. Plus it was my first class 5 minus minus (aka 3) in my new little boat (mini max). The main changes are in the the beginning- "baptism" is gone. The new one below has some fun big waves. (I'd provably just call that baptism now, if I were in charge,) Then some rocks to dodge, keep your eyes out for sleepers. Below Tuttle's Tumble it's all pretty much old school except for the root ball in the left line at Tombstone. Then Maneater starts off with a huge v wave. Biggest hit if the run. Looks like you can still get munchier if you work to stay left.

Reactions: MNichols

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've paddled this a bunch since this post went up and since all the major changes, and I can confirm that a lot of the fun boogie water in between the main rapids was previously just a massive lake, but as wood and mud has washed out it is for the most part back to how it was. The main exceptions being Baptismal and Maneater, both which have increased in difficulty, especially right when you drop in, but have also increased in shallow sharp-rocks manky run out. I think it's the same grade, mostly, but it's definitely more heads up. Maneater claimed its second concussion yesterday after all the "big changes", I guess you really don't want to flip at that main wave hole, and if you do, flip to the right.

Edit: I have been out at this ~1050 cfs level 3-4 times over the last 2 weeks, and its been different every time, including the big V wave at Maneater (now it's kind of one big V Wave and two smaller wave-holes). Same level, same amount of wood for the most part, but blocks still shifting around every time i've been out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
blocks still shifting around every time i've been out.
I bet! Just wait until runoff and afterwards next year and it's going to be completely different. Downriver is liable to change significantly for years to come. Going to be interesting to see how the mud, silt, ash, and all flushes out, and the impacts to the biodiversity of the river.

·
Super Moderator
4,371 Posts
Edit: I have been out at this ~1050 cfs level 3-4 times over the last 2 weeks, and its been different every time, including the big V wave at Maneater (now it's kind of one big V Wave and two smaller wave-holes). Same level, same amount of wood for the most part, but blocks still shifting around every time i've been out.
Everyone - thanks for the reports on what this is looking like now. Were there any significant changes to The Wall? That's always been one of my favorites on ShoSho.

TIA, - AH

·
Registered
138 Posts
Everyone - thanks for the reports on what this is looking like now. Were there any significant changes to The Wall? That's always been one of my favorites on ShoSho.

TIA, - AH
No... for the most part not really... but there is a huge pile of logs all across the top of the right side boulder garden, making a dam and sending more water left (the normal obvious channel that almost everyone runs except some kayakers). There are a few new blocks just under the surface at the entrance, left and center between the two boof boulders, and there's definitely some scattered new blocks just under the surface. But this rapid is pretty much the same especially if you compare to how different Baptismal and Maneater are.

Edit: If you are in a raft, it is important to know that there is a huge log and root ball in the normal center/left "slot" move at the Tombstone, so you are going to want to go around to the right. Good news is the right sorta S-turn channel has some new debris in and around it, so it has widened out and this move in a raft is probably easier than its ever been. Still some pin potential on the right, not as hard as the Skull move to the left but very similar, a backwards right-to-left ferry trying to sneak between two blocks in pushy current. Easy to scout on the right. No big deal for kayaks or smaller/faster boats.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts