Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a hater, I'll admit it... it's too easy and frankly sometimes it's just fun on the Buzz, and reminiscent of when I first joined and that's all that seemed to be going on here. I'm also the best raft guide on MB, or, at least I used to be. So if push came to shove I can back up my smack talk. Especially on, um, er... lake Shoshone.

Anyway.

I'm glad I'm no longer a raft guide, and have managed to move on to the greener pastures of private boating and kayaking on my own time. I'm lucky, really, and thankful for that.

This video made me cringe and was painful to watch. It reminded me how glad I am to no longer push rubber, especially for shitty day-trips with shitty customers. Sorry not sorry if I hurt any feelings, so I'll stop there. If anyone wants to chime in and egg me on I'd be happy to continue.

Have a nice night or whatever, see you out there on the gnar, or whatever.

Registered
This video made me cringe and was painful to watch. It reminded me how glad I am to no longer push rubber, especially for shitty day-trips with shitty customers. Sorry not sorry if I hurt any feelings, so I'll stop there. If anyone wants to chime in and egg me on I'd be happy to continue.
I wasn't quite sure what you were talking about...whether the guide was too chipper, or expecting the custies to be lippy or total downers...and halfway through the video I noticed short-gray-haired person lily-dipping...damn.
Then I noticed brown ponytail in the 2nd seat not even paddling. Ouch. "Keep it going, guys"
I cringed when he said "All stop"...and they'd all stopped at least 30 seconds earlier and still in the meat of the rapid.

Commence to smacking, B&S!
I've only ever paddle guided on private trips, and know the pain of my friends/guests not paddling when I need them to. Come on, fuckers, I literally did all the work and lined the boat up for every move down the entire river, and all I'm asking you is to literally pull your own weight through the meat. Gotta be so much worse when you have to be polite to custies instead of a more direct "Seriously, keep paddling until I say All Stop. And hand me another beer so I can drown the pain of your inattention."
(@tBatt that Insty post was on point!!)

Registered
I'm a hater, I'll admit it... it's too easy and frankly sometimes it's just fun on the Buzz, and reminiscent of when I first joined and that's all that seemed to be going on here. I'm also the best raft guide on MB, or, at least I used to be. So if push came to shove I can back up my smack talk. Especially on, um, er... lake Shoshone.

Anyway.

I'm glad I'm no longer a raft guide, and have managed to move on to the greener pastures of private boating and kayaking on my own time. I'm lucky, really, and thankful for that.

Have a nice night or whatever, see you out there on the gnar, or whatever.

Feeling better, Dude?!

Premium Member

Premium Member
I wasn't quite sure what you were talking about...whether the guide was too chipper, or expecting the custies to be lippy or total downers...and halfway through the video I noticed short-gray-haired person lily-dipping...damn.
Then I noticed brown ponytail in the 2nd seat not even paddling. Ouch. "Keep it going, guys"
I cringed when he said "All stop"...and they'd all stopped at least 30 seconds earlier and still in the meat of the rapid.

Commence to smacking, B&S!
I've only ever paddle guided on private trips, and know the pain of my friends/guests not paddling when I need them to. Come on, fuckers, I literally did all the work and lined the boat up for every move down the entire river, and all I'm asking you is to literally pull your own weight through the meat. Gotta be so much worse when you have to be polite to custies instead of a more direct "Seriously, keep paddling until I say All Stop. And hand me another beer so I can drown the pain of your inattention."
(@tBatt that Insty post was on point!!)
In your best Tommy Lee Jones voice, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I am here to inform you that if you do not paddle, we are all going to die".. Some folks just need a little extra motivation LOL..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The source of my rant actually came more from the over-the-top totally-enthusiastic-nutty-sounding guide. Who cares how the customers paddle, especially on a stern-frame, especially on Lake Shoshone... It just killed to me hear a guide so pumped and stoked so late in the season. "YEAH BABY!!! LOOKIN GOOD, KEEP IT GOING!!! YEAH BABY!!!!" 馃檮

I'll be the first to admit that's an asshole attitude to have, and and unfair judgement of someone I don't even know who is giving the customers a good time and basically doing their job well. It just brings up a PTSD-type of feeling in me, that makes me want to pull my hair out and puts my anxiety through the roof at the thought of having to that for a job, day-in-and-day-out. And it really killed me when he was explaining to his boat how they were about to do Class IV-...

I get it.

All these PTSD feelings and bitching just means that I am totally over commercial guiding and in a fortunately entitled position to judge and make fun of that whole scene. I mean, I don't really "feel better" because I never really felt bad - as mentioned in my initial post it's just kinda fun to armchair quarterback and troll - maybe out of boredom (because I'm certainly not kayaking much at the moment) and maybe because, well, it's fun. I am beyond lucky to have plugged in almost two decades of commercial guiding, and to have emerged on the other side with a shit ton of experience and stories and knowledge and skills. And the ability to drink 20 beers. But shit damn, I don't miss it for one second!

Registered
I get it... I've been considering trying to guide in the Grand Canyon just so i can get down there more then once a year...but am super wary of having to behave like that guide and to "wipe customers asses" all day. I'm not really the high energy social guy that could pull that kind of saccharine behavior off anyways.... not for a whole trip at least.

To be fair... he was laying it on pretty thick and I don't think most guides go quite that hard in the "kitch" category...but at the end of the day that kinda stuff probably makes a difference for some customers. I for one would not be one...but us experienced river runners aren't the typical custy. I feel like most of the trips I've been on (not a ton of commercial trips under my belt...plenty of private ones though) the guide wasn't particularly vocal and certainly wasn't doing what that guide was doing.

For me...that kind of guiding style would detract from the trip and would reduce how much I'd tip the dude and I certainly wouldn't request him on a subsequent trip.

I agree...solid class III at best...calling it anything else is just BS.

Registered
And the ability to drink 20 beers.
A blessing and a curse.

Ya gotta wonder, is he always this excited? Is it the show for the custies, hoping his tips will be better? Is it because the GoPro is running? Because the same run he's been doing for a decade has changed? Don't go getting jaded, I guess.

I often wonder if the guide experience has much to do with what you get as tips, or if they have money in their pocket before they get there and plan on tipping the same regardless. Do you tip restaurant servers significantly different based on their service?

I've had plenty of days where I get excited and exaggerate stuff. I've also had days where I didn't even ask their names because I wasn't really in the mood for taking. Ya gotta feel out if it's the kind of crew who wants to talk amongst themselves while you drive 'em down, or if they wanna hear the history of every rapid, rock, and tree.

Registered
Well, @Blade&Shaft, I did ask! No offense taken here.

I often wonder if the guide experience has much to do with what you get as tips, or if they have money in their pocket before they get there and plan on tipping the same regardless. Do you tip restaurant servers significantly different based on their service?
yeah, if they're standing around and playing with their phone, or playing grab-ass with the bartender instead of offering to refill my drink, I'll go 15%.
Pretty much 20% standard.
If they're slammed but doing their best, or super friendly (not saccharine, but just genuine), then 25-30%.

Registered
The new rapid at the top, dubbed "Hall Pass", is a kick in the pants! SO much fun. It makes 1400cfs feel like 3000. The constricted channel makes it fast, fun, and splashy. It's no where near a class IV, but the new horizon lines still give you the pucker factor. I've been running Shoshone for over 20 years and I100% would recommend.

Sarahkonamojo is exactly right about it shifting again next spring. You've got to catch this iteration while it's still there.

Grizzly is open again for shuttles. Sunday saw some traffic with the front range weekend warriors struggling to merge (typical front range driving, lol) but overall shuttles took ~10 min. Have fun out there!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts