Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, I had a good time at gore this year and huge thanks to everyone that put time and energy into the event.

NAZIS: The overwhelming law enforcement presence was a super buzz kill. The 'closing' at the put in between 11-1 was also bullshit (I was lucky and made it on at 10:59 with a ranger ready to break legs if I didn't). I am hoping we can get the ball rolling for some constructive feedback and ultimately make next year's event better.

Searches, spying with bonoculars, bullet proof vests, intimidation, shutting good ol gore camp fire fun down, what the F! Can we do anything about this, does anyone know who to contact at the BLM or state level to file a complaint?

AM

·
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
621 Posts
I agree, that was bull shit. Turned the end of summer fest into a fucking summer camp. Closing down the river is crap. I drove from the fort only to make it there by 1105 and with the sight of a ranger truck blocking the road to the put in. I ended up having to run up the canyon to make it to tunnel on time to see any action. Its bull shit and next year it needs to go back to the way it was.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Unfortunatly, the law enforcement was definetly too intense. I firmly believe that there should be a couple of officers around to respond to any bad situations that may arise. However, the approach was much more hostel, and I think most would agree that the authorities did more to initiate bad situations than they did to keep things under control. The campfire they broke up, due to a noise complaint, was very poorly handled, and could have easily resulted in a fairly serious riot.

I think a lot of this stems from the attitude of the officers. Instead of approaching the group professionaly, they immaturely puffed up there chest and got in the face of whoever they could, wherever they could. Even a bouncer at a bar knows better than to pick a fight with every drunk unruly person they see. Talking is much more effective.

And yes, the put-in times were lame. What's the point of having a race that most people can't go watch? It's cheaper and easier to go solo Gore with a stop watch.

Huge thanks to Mark Joffe and company for putting on the event. I hope we can learn from this years Gore fest and make next year even better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agreed... if anyone can provide some contact info on where to file a complaint/ suggestion that would be great! There has to be a way to keep control and keep people off the tracks without pissing everyone off and giving the rangers a bad image. They really are not all bad! But there were definitely a couple assholes creating a negative image. Hopefully this can be fixed for next year.

·
Registered
35 Posts
First off, thank you everyone for working with us by not heading up to the tracks. Arron and I had a great day at the ferry and the Union Pacific was very cool and happy with our efforts. Thanks Arron for stepping in to help.

Joffe will be putting up a summary of the issues that we need to look at for next year, but the BLM was very supportive overall.

1. Their concern stemmed from the "usual" crowd they get out that way ie. Monster Truck and ATV/motorcycle gear heads, the type we've seen drunk and obnoxious in places like Ruby Mountain etc. Talks will progress, but it won't need to be this way always.

2. The river closure was due to some miscommunication. Obviously it doesn't help racers if there are other boaters in the way, but this will be addressed and improved. The closure was not Rapidpulse's idea.

Please address your concerns with Mark first. His email address is [email protected] All issues will be discussed and planning for next year is already underway.

Thanks for a great weekend.

Sam

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree that the event was fun and well run once you were able to get into the canyon. We showed up at 10:59 and got a fairly nice BLM ranger who respectfully told us that it was 11am and that we could not put on the river until 3pm. After getting over the initial shock and the usual trying to talk our way on (which failed) he told us to go ahead and turn around by where the bathrooms are. We headed that direction to turn around and ran into a real a-hole of a BLM ranger who "needed" us to get the hell out of there ASAP. A couple of bored armed cops decided that we were being uppity by trying to turn around there and were more than happy to add their menacing presence to the mix.

We went to Kremling, paddled the extra couple of flat water miles on the Colorado, no problems. We also ran into a few others who just went up the put-in road a little ways and ran the Blue right past the put-in, supposedly they didn't have any problems either.

I think the main problem lies not with the ill-mannered and over-armed BLM cops, but with the shutting down of a public put-in. Rivers in Colorado have enough river access problems that we don't need anyone closing access for any reason. To me, the closing of the river by the BLM for any reason sets a very bad precedent that I would hate to see on any river.

·
Charc in = charc out
475 Posts
re, river closure & setting a bad precedent: uh, ya think? far as i know, gore fest 05 sets THE precedent for cops shutting down river access during a river festival celebrating the river that's access-denied. seems kinda wacky to me, but i'm old fashioned ...

furthermore, private boaters have never been a major concern for racers & therefore cannot be cited as a valid reason for shutting down river access during a river festival. it's clear that it had everything to do with BLM/U.Pac.RR. fair enough, keep people off the tracks, but there are better was to address this.

the cops were way oppressive/invasive & the organizers will have to make sure starting right away that festival attendees -- if there is in fact another festival -- are insulated from this shit in future events. these guys weren't "responding" to situations, they were causing them.

the majority of the people that i talked to said that they will not be going to future gore canyon events because of the overwhelming cop presence this year. if i were one of the organizers, this would be a pretty big red flag &/or call to action.

having said all that, you get a bunch of boater friends together & we will inevitably make it a good time no matter what -- i had fun when i wasn't being harassed.

oh yeah, & the creature crafters got straight SCHOOLED by inner tubers ... discuss ..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just for the record, I was told at 9 am that I could not get on the river by the rangers at the put in. I was told it would be closed until 3-3:30 pm.

I tought it was very unusual that there weren't any race offiicials in sight to confirm or deny this closure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree, the river closure was about as lame as the choice of thongs the dude chugging bears late night at the fire wore.

We got lucky. After driving down from Steamboat, setting up camp and picking up many racers hitchhiking to the putin, we arrived at 11:06 and were promptly told to get out! Shocked, unempowered and devastated, I pleaded our case again and the ranger actually let us unload and drop in, a 100% reversal from his initial "GET OUTTA HERE, NOW!". The sym-pathetic ranger's guilt must have played on his conscious.

We will be back next year to watch, play, party and get harassed if need be. But, we will be on time, that's for sure.

Thanks to all, overall a fine job of organizing and once again a great gathering of the Colorado boating community.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Thats really weird, I got to the puttin at around noon and had no problem getting in. The ranger just waved me through. No idea why I didn't have a problem and others seemed to.

I too think that while they had the right idea Pumphouse, it was a bit harshly enforced. The rangers were swaggering about in a big group and being very unfriendly. I do realize that having to enforce a group that large with only a few people is intimidating, but being unreasonable is not the way to go about it. It felt like a combination of a power-trip and fear that something big and nasty was gonna happen on their part. If they had pushed much harder, do think it could have been the Gore Canyon River Festival and Riot.

JH

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gore Issues are being addressed

Mark here from Rapidpulse, the event organizers of Gore. I have been reading the posts re the law enforcement and river closure. Both these issues are being addressed at the decision-making levels of the BLM. I was not aware that the river itself would be closed on the day and fully agree it should not be. We enjoy spectators on the river to cheeer paddlers on. In regards to the law enforcement, I will strongly urge for a lesser presence next year. On both issues i will post updates as we have them.

I do want to make it very clear to everyone that the BLM--in particular the Kremmling office--have been huge supporters of the event and without their support or assistance this event would have been cancelled due to our history of spectators on the railroad. This is where it all began.

Overall the event was a success, and we all enjoyed. I want to thank everyone for their support and for staying off the railroad tracks. All of us, including Union Pacific, BLM and the Grand County Sheriffs, learned a lot. Next year's event will be even better, and I am certain the 2 issues being brought up in this post will not be an issue in the future.

I am also happy to address anyone's concerns personally. Send an email to [email protected]. I hope to see you all at Gore next year.

Mark

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I was not able to stay saturday night but from what I saw friday night and saturday during the race I'd say the Fesival is back on course. Thanks Mark. Like it or not, things aren't the way they use to be and we have to adjust if we don't want to get shut down entirely.

Things I think went great:
1) The idea of allowing non-boaters to hike up and then get ferried across so they would stay off the tracks was genious. The maps showing closures and hiking options was way more realistic than saying "don't hike up to watch the race" in years past.
2) Closing the right shore to keep people off the tracks and minimize conflict with the railroad. Even though I originally bitched about being told to stay off the right shore, it wasn't that big of a deal. The cops were letting people portage Gore if they did it at river level and no one was told to stay off the right shore at tunnel or below where the tracks are way above the river. And spectating at gore from the left side was actually better than the right side.
3) Moving the race back to Saturday and the fesitval back to Pumphouse is the only way to go. I like the beer garden on friday eve too.

Things that need to be improved:
1) Closing the river from 11:00 to 3:00 was BS. Especially when they didn't tell anyone about it beforehand. I barely got on and would have been pissed if I drove all the way out and got turned back. Plus it sets a bad precedent for indiscriminant river closures. Was that even legal?
2) Sounds like the Police need to lighten up a bit the night of the party. Who the hell complains about noise at a party? The Police should be used to bitch-slap any whiners.
3) I missed the creature crafts and the tubers. I'd say send them down first as the warm-up act next year so no one misses them.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Mark,

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for all the time and energy you put into this event. That was a supreme effort on your part. If only we could harness all that energy from Saturday night and bottle it up, man that was priceless. Also I'm really glad you're reading these threads and are already planning on making adjustments for next year's event, that's true commitment.

Here's a thought on the cop thing. I wonder if one possible solution might be to shut down all campground festivities after a while, but then create a seperate zone for the after-hours parties? Let the tired folks sleep, and the partiers rage. Maybe the overflow parking is a better place for that? I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Anyways, thanks again for keeping the tradition and spirit alive. I can't tell you how much I laughed my ass off Sat. night, and how great it was to hang and party with so many friends all in one place. Hands down one of the better parties of the summer.

Thanks,
B

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here's a thought on the cop thing. I wonder if one possible solution might be to shut down all campground festivities after a while, but then create a seperate zone for the after-hours parties? Let the tired folks sleep, and the partiers rage. Maybe the overflow parking is a better place for that? I don't know, just thinking out loud.
I'm to old for all of that late night parting and that's why we camp at a different spot. we can go down and drink a few beers and then head back to our campsite when we're ready.

If you pull into pumhouse in the middle of the day and see the parting going on and think "this will be a good place to go to bed early and get a good nights rest"...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey folks,
Seeing as I was in NC/ TN/ N. Ga. paddling this weekend, and obviously not at Gore (dammit dammit dammit!) ;) .... I think I'm gonna need a little clarification....

The "creature crafts"? ummmm.... maybe I'm showing my lack of experience here, but would one of you guys mind explaining?? gracias!!
:D

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
newby0616 said:
Hey folks,
Seeing as I was in NC/ TN/ N. Ga. paddling this weekend, and obviously not at Gore (dammit dammit dammit!) ;) .... I think I'm gonna need a little clarification....

The "creature crafts"? ummmm.... maybe I'm showing my lack of experience here, but would one of you guys mind explaining?? gracias!!
:D

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/photos/archive/4311med.jpg

its a supposed self righting raft, but they don't seem to work very well. The creators are so confident of the fact that they will right themselves that they actually strap themselves to a seat on the thing with a seatbelt. Sometimes they do allright through Gore, but this year two out of four got their ass's handed to them. They got pretty chundered in Ginger, the big hole in Gore Rapid. The thing is a good idea, it just doesn't seem to work all that great sometimes. I also wouldn't want to have to paddle that thing across flatwater with a headwind, must be brutal.

jh

·
Registered
274 Posts
JH--
Thanks so much for the clarification.... now I see where you guys are getting "creature crafts".... I don't know, if you asked me (which no one obviously did ;) ), the whole thing just looks a bit phallic.
:oops:

I mean, if anyone else can look at those rafts *WITHOUT* seeing two gigantic, dueling penises (or is it "penii"?), more power to 'em!! ;)

I guess what I was almost expecting to see was something with a little more "homemade" flair to it, like what the cuban refugees put together to paddle to FL: 1952 powder-blue Ford street taxis, pimped out with a ring of inner tubes or something to absorb any blows, floating on a pad of shipping crates tied down to styrofoam by way of duct tape or something.... Don't ask: I don't know how you'd paddle something like that on whitewater, either! LOL

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Uh, I saw a dog bone.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts