159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have been waiting.....
We have been waiting......

Well Wait no more!!!!!!

I just opened the box...

They are for real and here!!!

Come in and check out the "Green Jacket"
And bring in those Ski's and Boards that need tuning now that it has snowed, I need something to do till the run off comes!!!!

Scott
Confluence Kayaks & Telemark
303-433-3676

·
Registered
25 Posts
for sure!

I just picked one up while I was out at the whitewater center in charlotte, and have since taken it for a couple test drives up and down the east coast and I love the thing. doesn't feel real bulky and tons of awesome features! the least you could do would be to go try one on and see for yourself but I love mine

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Did they deal with the "ridding up" issue that occurred with the Astral 300? I would constantly be pushing it down and readjusting the shoulder strap/string things and it got really annoying. Also, the shoulder strap strings would come loose pretty easily, so I hope they figured that out too. I would love to hear if you think those things were remedied.

JH

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rib Protection??

I haven't tried one of these on yet, but does anyone know how much protection the green jacket gives the ribcage? I had two nasty rib injuries this season, with the last one coming from a rock that got me just above the limit of coverage from my aquavest 300. I'm sure there are others of you out there who have had rib shots like this--they suck, and make for mandatory time off! If this thing gives good rib protection, then it would we worth the price if that means I don't have two miss 3 weeks of boating to recover...

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Looks like its got more protection just from looking at the pictures, but I'd be curious to see what they have done to combat that kind of stuff too. I know a couple of the European ones have plastic plates in them for that purpose, or at least extra padding.

JH

·
Registered
211 Posts
flotection

When we ere designing the Greenjacket we wanted to give it some additional protection compared to the rest of the jackets on the market. After paddling the protos and samples for a year now I'm a big fan of is the back "flo-tection," that's our name for this technology. Basically its a layers of Nylon, a layer of PE Foam with thin plastic surrounding it, covered in a layer of Cordura material on the outside for abrasion resistance. Its a bit beveled so that when you paddle or swim you don't even notice the padding being there. Its sweet to set your boat on when you're carrying. The idea is to protect the bony parts of the back, the scapula I think its called. I could really see this coming in handy getting flipped on a slide or being upside down in a boulder garden. The yoke (top) is a bit higher in the back than on the Aquavest 300 so you get some extra protection there as well. The sides also have flotection with 2 layers of Cordura, 2 layers of foam, and again the Ballistic material. The inner (lower) foam panel wraps the rib cage to meet the side wings providing additional protection for your ribs and organs.

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
I like

This thing just showed up at my house today. Seems I ordered it like a year ago. :mrgreen:

My first thoughts are that this jacket is dope. It's lighter, slimmer and more form fitting than the 300 and offers better protection. It doesnt have that spare tire, extra love handle feeling. The jacket stays really secure on your torso but still allows all that freedom of movement like the old ones. It doesnt feel like it will ride around on you at all.

The flotection feels good. The front and back of the ribs feel very well protected, theres a lot more coverage than before yet not bulky. The sides feel like there's a little less coverage than the astral300...like its the only place where you might be vulnerable but still it's pretty minimal. There's still padding there....I think the padding was just thicker on the old ones there. I'm gonna appreciate this thing when i'm swimming.

Oh and I like the shoulder straps better. They dont feel like the stitching will start to come apart like a few of the 300's i've seen. They got rid of the useless shoulder strap tension thingy's on the back too, now its just a solid strap with just enough padding to comfortably rest a boat on...i think they finally got it right.

I think i'm gonna like this thing alot more than the old one. Go pick it up if your in the market for a new rescue vest...but dont get black, that colors taken. Forrest, feel free to come by and check it out if you want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts