Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta give this a thread a redo. I scored this fire pan in a rocket box system yesterday by pure accident. I'm curious about how legit you all think the two piece pan is.

I was grabbing a few rocket boxes at the Idaho Whitewater Assoc. Gear swap yesterday for $15 ea.. Good deal. Inside one of them was this complete set up. I'm thinking Sahweet deal for $15. The pan measures 15 x24" (360sq in.) with a 2.5" over lap and a three inch lip. Plenty sturdy for three fully loaded dutch ovens. I have not weighed it but definitely lighter than my old lrg cambridge pan. The over lapping two part pan segments fit quite snug together but im not sure how "legal" this is. When the whole set is in the can there is still room for a ten inch dutch or tools etc... Whatcha think??

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nice score. I cant speak for the legality of it but it is definitely cool. A little heavier pan where the two halves slide together so it could be picked up as one piece would be an easy fab up and likely solve any problems at the launch inspection if there were any.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice score. I cant speak for the legality of it but it is definitely cool. A little heavier pan where the two halves slide together so it could be picked up as one piece would be an easy fab up and likely solve any problems at the launch inspection if there were any.
Like a half inch lip/slot that the smaller pan bottom slides into? Im thinking a small pair of vice grips in the can fixes all. But then I am a bit of a getto style engineer.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have used the same two piece pan on the GC, San Juan, MFS, MS, Green for years. It meets both the area and lip height requirements of the various fire pan gestapos. That height-off-the-ground gizmo in your kit takes care of that requirement. I welded 1/2" nuts to the bottom of my pan and use 4X1/2 carriage bolts to do the same thing. The only add you might consider is adding the required fire blanket into the kit and you are good to go.

·
Registered
151 Posts
How many square inches is it when set up and how tall are the sides? With a fire blanket underneath and heavy aluminum foil to line it I'd think you're good to go.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many square inches is it when set up and how tall are the sides? With a fire blanket underneath and heavy aluminum foil to line it I'd think you're good to go.
340 sqr inches. 3 inch deep. I already use a fire blanket.

Crooked River Whiskey. Not for everyone.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If it works and meets requirements I say use it. I am a consumate tinkerer and gear junkie so I over think and over build pretty much all my gear, I cant help myself.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool Beans! I've been needing a pan to replace my old two ton rust monster. Thanks for the insights.

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
my old two ton rust monster.
Hey, I've got one of those!

Your new pan looks nice and like there's plenty of room to put charcoal or fire tools in the box with it.

Someone's bumming they took the wrong box to the swap... :(

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, I've got one of those!

Your new pan looks nice and like there's plenty of room to put charcoal or fire tools in the box with it.

Someone's bumming they took the wrong box to the swap... :(
Yup, my fire blanket and a hatchet fit just fine.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
That looks similar to my set-up. Partner Steel compact two piece fire pan, with hex nuts on the corners and 4 inch carriage bolts for legs. A friend made me a grill top for it last year. Two 12 inch DOs fit side by side, and a 14 inch DO also fits (just barely). My friends borrowed it for a Grand Canyon trip two summers ago and it passed muster without a problem. I love it! Cost about $70 welded up from Partner, and weighs around 15 lb. So much more user friendly that my old heavy as hell Cambridge fire pan.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
That looks similar to my set-up. Partner Steel compact two piece fire pan, with hex nuts on the corners and 4 inch carriage bolts for legs. A friend made me a grill top for it last year. Two 12 inch DOs fit side by side, and a 14 inch DO also fits (just barely). My friends borrowed it for a Grand Canyon trip two summers ago and it passed muster without a problem. I love it! Cost about $70 welded up from Partner, and weighs around 15 lb. So much more user friendly that my old heavy as hell Cambridge fire pan.
Sweet setup. Their base fireman is cheap and the carriage bolt addition is elegant. Might have to use that same setup for single boat trips when I get tired of carrying such heavy gear.

Phillip

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cataraftgirl, I like the six leg design better than my 4 leg unit. I'll get right on that.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Cataraftgirl, I like the six leg design better than my 4 leg unit. I'll get right on that.

The middle legs give it good support. We have done two 12 inch & two 10 inch DO stacks with no problem. The fire blanket is key when you are on soft sand. Keeps the bolt legs from sinking in. It's also easy to level the legs by either unscrewing them a little or slipping a small rock under the legs. I like that I can shrink or enlarge the pan to fit what I'm cooking. I had Partner weld the hex nuts on for me, so it was very nicely done. I had a neighbor try to weld them on an old fire pan for me, and they were a mess.

Here are some pics of the grill top that a friend made for me. It's two pieces, so I can bring along one or both depending on the trip. So far I've only grilled brats on the grill. Haven't tried burgers or steaks yet.

Even with the legs, fire blanket, tools, and both grill tops, this fire pan still packs smaller and is lighter than my old gorilla fire pan. Man I hated that thing. Jan at SNS made a custom fire pan bag for my compact Partner fire pan and it works great for toting it from boat to camp.

I think you scored big time on that fire pan. You'll love it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts