Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to buy a new dry top to replace my splash top. I'm thinking the bomb,what is your suggestion? long sleeve or shorty?

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
If I was going all out, I would get a long goretex kokatat.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yah thats what I had in mind,but the large price tag is slowing me down. I found a nice looking top by planetary gear (the bombshell) for less than half the price of gortex,and it's claimed that the top retailed for 300.00. has anyone heard anything good/bad about this top?

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
ID Surfer said:
If you live in CO you better not buy a shorty.
I use my shorty pretty often after the first of June- certainly not a substitute for a LS top, but totally useful for play / river running. I've used my shorty on Gore in August a couple of times, and it was perfect for short sessions on the Animas in the middle of summer. Nice to have one in the gear bag, I think.

For a longsleeve, I'd recommend the Kokatat or a Bomber Gear top - I have the Bomber Gear longsleeve and it's still very dry after two years. Plus, BG is a Colorado-based company and it's good to support the locals.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I understand the price tag shock but I would go with goretex and they are the best from what I have seen. I have a goretex stohlquist top, its very nice but they seem to have stopped using goretex.

·
Registered
22 Posts
stohlquist like many other companies (not just kayak gear) are starting to use in -house versions of gore-tex as the patent on the stuff expired so everyone is now making their own for a fraction of the cost so you can really hook up on some great fabric that kicks just as much ass as goretex.
Pauley

·
Registered
15 Posts
Buy what fits...

My current long sleeve top is a Stolquist in Med, my shorty is a Palm in XL...go figure. Each make is designed and sized a little differently, so you should try before you buy. You certainly want to find out what fits your body the best without binding or chafing. Also, you want to be sure you can buy replacement gaskets later.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've been very happy with my Immersion Research top. Though it's technically a semi-dry top, I've found it to be as dry as my two previous Kokatat drytops (not goretex). And the neck is much more comfortable. It's also a waterproof breathable fabric, and I think it costs a bit less than goretex tops.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Unless you are hard core creeking and you boat in Colorado all but July Get a Unabomber or some comparable Jacket skirt combo. The freedom is unparalleled and no shots up the tunnel when back surfing like even the top of the line jackets. Ditto the goretex or other breathable fabric thing. My Una bomber is starting to wear out but that is with three seasons of 100 plus days on it. The NRS tops have worked well for some of my kids at a lower price. They are not as slick but perform well.

Peter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go for the Kokatat,
They're are coming out with a sweet new top called the rogue. You can check it out on their website if you view the catalogue. I just got one and it is sick! Same awesome quality with a new style. I also have one of their old tops and It still rocks! They may be a bit pricey, but it's worth it and you know what they say: go big or go home!!!
good luck,
Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts