Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this chair at sport authority. it is absolutely perfect for strapping to a cooler and giving you real deal chair level back support- not crappy crazy creek style support that moves, and never feels supportive. But, it is also easily removed and stowed away if you don't want it (pull out for flatwater sections?) its so structurally sound that you really don't need to strap it down in flat sections. folds nice and small too.

Customized Stadium Chairs from Stadium Chair Company

I've tried all the options for an over the cooler rowing chair- DRE and AAA flip brackets, DRE mesh chair, crazy creek etc... I loved the DRE meshie, but it was huge to put in the car or a sail on top of the car (I 'm a roll and go guy), the flip bracket is nice, but had its issues too (not removable, need a cooler underneath, or if it is a self supported bracket (dre) you only have one width for the bay. sometimes for simplicity I just want to sit on the cooler or not bring a seat for weight reasons, and have the seat vanish away. couldn't do that with the other options.

The chair is made of super tough welded tube steel, has a DRE-like laced seat system, has a perfectly placed welded crossbar that allows for easy strapping to a cooler or platform, has a thick, bomber looking rubber gripper on the bottom that really grips the cooler once strapped, has the only real deal back support I have found in any detachable, folding option, was $35 at sports authority, and best of all, I just found that I can order one in Packer colors!

check it out

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it out on the Upper C this weekend, and strapped it to the cooler. super comfy. I used a loop strap that was wound around the chair's crossbar once or twice. Very solid connection- I would have no qualms about keeping it on thru rapids.

We were going in and out of the cooler, so I just stopped strapping it, and the grippers on the bottom were fine. Ran eye of needle unstrapped- but only because I forgot to strap it. if you don't end up using it for a captains seat, it is perfect respite for passengers with sore backs from sitting on pacos and coolers. Luckily my wife was in an action seat or she would have taken it for herself. To me, its actually as comfy and supportive as an action seat- if not more (no flex or butt sweat from vinyl seat issues)

God I sound like a salesman. Definitely no interest in the company other than I can't believe I never have to sit on a crazy creek again.

Come on Alex, you have the GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) as bad as I do! you know you'll get one :) BTW- thanks again for the tent tip- love that big agnes...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ducky thwart as lumbar support.
yeah- the thwarts work pretty well too- the ladies in my avatar like them on the front platform for relaxin', but since your in the area, next time your around a sport authority you gotta check these things out, you might change your mind :)

for me, I have to lay pretty far back to get support with a thwart, and this chair hits me way higher up in my back kinda like low back vs high back tractor seats.

But then again, I'm 6' tall with a 30" inseam. all torso baby!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Whoapiglet, is the underside of the seat kind enough to sit it on top of a paco up front? Or would it tear up or puncture the paco do you think?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everything is pretty smooth on the bottom. the rivets that attach the rubber grippers are inset a bit so the paco shouldn't see anything but smooth rubber and powdercoated steel. I bet it would be fine. might not be as stable as if it was on a hard surface, but i wouldn't think it will tear anything up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well then it might be just the ticket for our situation up front or rowing. I use a carzy creek rowing, and I like that. Either I'm actually rowing and not using the back rest, or I'm kickin back all cinched into the carzy ceek with my feet up and my oars stowed n swaggin a haha. But up front we use a bills bag and sometimes that sucks - like if it gets windy and it's also not very low back friendly. Eventually rather torturous to tell the truth! though my husband does not complain. Maybe its just the torture of not having the oars in my hands and not the back support up front that I hate!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can definitely attest to the comfort of this thing. the key is that the frame is super burly and provides the support so don't have to deal with cinching straps etc. that really only get you modest comfort and support, on this thing you are suspended like on a DRE seat. full tilt comfy and breezy.

Pretty cool little attachment to make it a camp chair too- gonna have to check one of those out too.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
maybe- might want to put it on two boxes so you don't flip over backwards when the whiskey starts kicking in...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the tip, I'm going to look for one today. I just got a seat bridge from Cambridge Welding and while it's a great option for over the dry box, like you said for the DRE option, it's doesn't let me adjust the bay for a different box/cooler. Plus it's much cheaper- I might get two!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Just picked one up they had them in store for $35 and i found a printable 25% off coupon so 26.25. Very rugged looks like easy to strap to my front drybox and very comfortable. I am going to spray the seat canvas with water repellant if not already waterproof

Looks like my crazy creek is gonna spend its end of days on my paddlecat.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We have been using these on three of our boats for about 3 years. We found that over time, with the seat secured tightly, the pressure on the back of the seat caused the welds at the bottom of the back to tear out. On two of the early ones, we completely rebuilt the backs with heaver metal. on two newer ones, we did a little additional welding on the bar at the bottom of the back, before it tore loose, with good results!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
salmonjammer said:
We have been using these on three of our boats for about 3 years. We found that over time, with the seat secured tightly, the pressure on the back of the seat caused the welds at the bottom of the back to tear out. On two of the early ones, we completely rebuilt the backs with heaver metal. on two newer ones, we did a little additional welding on the bar at the bottom of the back, before it tore loose, with good results!
The back crossstrap is welded on two edges. I'm assuming you reinforced the inside one shown.

Is this using as a rowers seat or passenger seat? I plan on passenger but can see what you mean

I think i will attempt to reinforce mine with a plate across the front which should make the hinge stronger

Other option might be to drill and pin it

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
On one the rower used it, on the other two, passengers up front. On the rower seat, the stress of leaning back when doing a push, caused the welds to fail. This also happened for the riders, just took longer. On the last one, we reinforced the welds by adding a weld up the inside (see your picture) and that seemed to help a lot. It tore the metal off across the bottom of the upright. The weld up the side is much stronger. Otherwise, the seats are very comfortable, can be set on an ice chest in camp, or even not bad setting on the ground.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts