Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So all of you in the know, what the f is up with the ark? Looked like it was climbing this morning and now dropping out again. I know you guys blew through a lot of your water early on, just like the Animas did, but is this it? Are they gonna bump it back up for weekends or is it just done?

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
It rained quite a bit. Thats the only bump you will see until next May.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
This is a good site for what is going on with the Ark water flows. (It hasn't been updated most of the summer, but seems like they are starting to update more regularly.):

WaterFlow Announcements

Looks like there will be an increase of 50 on Friday at 6pm. From above site, posted today: "The Pueblo Board of Water Works will begin releasing 50.42 cfs from Clear Creek Reservoir to Pueblo on Friday, July 9 at 6:00 p.m. This will continue until further notice."

Not a lot of water, but information at least.

Also states they dropped it 300 cfs last week in two increments of 150.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
It is 700 on the Wellsville gauge, not #'s gauge. Numbers is already down to 560 :(

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
That release is probably just to meet the agreed upon 700 at the wellsville gauge until 8/15

·
Registered
99 Posts
Whatever. You surface choads have had your highwater for long enough. We've been waiting patiently for the ark to hit proper levels all season. The best play at said level = THIS.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Pine Creek to BV is all great fun at these levels. Choose yer section and work it. The BV park has multiple features that are in with the new bottom feature giving up whatever tricks you have the skill to hit at these flows. Spins, cartwheels, loops, air loops, blunts, air blunts, mcnastys, blunt mcnasty combos, air screws... This feature is world class solid at summer flows.

The rio is beautiful right now. Can't wait to get me some this weekend.

Phil

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Is Brown's too low to raft now? What's the lowest "normal" folks run it in a raft?
"Normal" folks don't exsist...but on average most rafters don't bother with Brown's below 600. It should stay somewhere in the 700-800 range through August 15th now...

·
Registered
844 Posts
The powers that be are only saying they have enough water to last through July. So we could see the bottom drop out before the magical August 15th date. They do have the option to buy more acre feet for the augmentation, but we shall see if that happens or not.

We rafted it as low as 318 this spring when the flows were still nothing. I would not run my own raft as it borders on boat abuse, but it was good to see that a 14' oar boat could still make it down browns at that low a of a level!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
"Normal" folks don't exsist...but on average most rafters don't bother with Brown's below 600. It should stay somewhere in the 700-800 range through August 15th now...

Actually, "normal" people do exist, you just will not find them on a whitewater forum!

·
Registered
668 Posts
...We rafted it as low as 318 this spring when the flows were still nothing. I would not run my own raft as it borders on boat abuse, but it was good to see that a 14' oar boat could still make it down browns at that low a of a level!
See, that's why I qualified my statement with "normal". 318? Wow, that can't be "normal", even for boaters! LOL

Good to know though, I have a 14' oar boat too. We're going with friends though, so we may opt to paddle the 14 footer instead. I just don't want to spend all day shoving the thing off of rocks. Having to avoid them is one thing, getting stuck every 50 yards would be another.

Thanks for the info all.

·
Registered
194 Posts
it will still have at least 700 in the #'s through 8/15, correct?

Theoretically yes. Depends on how much they have to release to get it to 700, and how early they have to start said release (it's awful early). There are X acre-feet of water accounted for in the Flow Program agreement (thank your local commercial raft guide's bosses for orchestrating that one...). Once that water runs out, they'll quit releasing anything. Without some rain/luck it is plausible that the 700 CFS flow through 8/15 could end sooner rather than later... Good news is Pine Creek/Triple drop are fun even when they're low... Or to this Arkie mank-boater anyway...

·
Registered
29 Posts
These are standard summer flows. After high water the raft compaies pay to maintain min flows. 700 is boney but easily runable. Ive been down browns down to 250 in a raft, nice walk. Follow comercial trips to the canyon to learn low water lines or you may have a frustrating start to your day.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Can anyone beat 250? Going once, going twice... LOL

Lucky for me, I am going with a friend of mine that has been a guide for 20+ years. I hope he knows the lines by now...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts