Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was a great first day for me on black rock and wanted to thank all the fellas that paddled with us. I think we were 18-20 deep. That was sweet! we should make it a yearly occurrence if it isn’t already (all of it but my swim). Thanks again, and if any of you want hit it up again or anything that may be runnin' let me know.
Ryan

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks Ture!!

I wanted thank everyone for the safe guide down Black Rock last night for my first time!! I especially want to thank TURE for showing me the stellar lines and helping me feel relatively safe in there!!!! Thanks man, I really enjoyed myself and can't wait to boat with you again!!

We had a solid crew of 18 deep with most of them BR veterans. A few newbies (including myself) showed up and we all had a blast!!! I did pull the "P" card and walk Rigor!! Oh well, next time!! I had such an amazing run, I didn't want to ruin the day with a swim in Rigor!!

I still can't wipe this shit eating grin of my face!!!! Ha Haaa!!!

Thanks again to everyone for the support!!!

"RIP Derk"

Cheers!

-Nick

·
Registered
290 Posts
Way to go BR veterans on getting the first timers down safely! Cool to hear the excitement, appreciation and enthusiam at the party last night. Nice work TURE on getting the word out!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Thanks a lot for showing, guys. It was one of the funnest Black Rock runs I've ever had and I've run it more than I can count.

This is the first year we have done a big newbie day. We did it to honor the memory of Derk and his spirit of giving to the kayak community. My crew showed him down for his first time and he returned the favor to other newbies over the years.

An annual Black Rock first-timer throwdown in Derk's honor would be fun. Late season, 250-300 cfs, with relatively warm water is the best time.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Low volume, not pushy at all, kind of creeky, main rapids (Black Rock and Narrows) are IV+, Rigo is at the top of IV+, maybe V-. Rigo isn't particularly dangerous at this level, just kind of hard to nail the line if you haven't paddled a lot of stuff over class IV.

The danger of a swim is about as low as it is going to get on Black Rock but there are still places you really don't want to do it and I suppose the danger of foot entrapment might be increased because of all the rocks. No major sieves, but there are some that will take down a foot if they get a chance.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kevin was an awsome guide, and Joe is one hell of a boat wrangler. Thanks to them I had a great time and have all of my gear.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Glad everyone had as much fun as me. Hopefully we can do it again some time.

I'd like to thank BR vet Jack for showing all the newbies how a first run is supposed to look (2 swims and a pin). Way to take one for the team :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ture, thanks for putting this trip together. I had an awesome time! I was nervous about the size of the group, but everything went incredibly smooth and everyone did a good job looking out for each other.

My first Black Rock run was with Derk in May. I remember being totally freaked out above Rigor and my paddling was gripped and tense. Just before we dropped in Derk looked back at me, flashed a quick smile that said, “this is going to be amazing” and then dissappeared. It gave me a huge boost of confidence, I relaxed and nailed the line.

Yesterday I was again nervous above rigo. It was my first time paddling that rapid in a playboat. I didn’t know if I could keep upright in the entrance. Before dropping in I remembered Derk’s smile and relaxed. Everything went fine.

The last time I saw Derk was on Black Rock the Tuesday before his passing. At the put-in I said some stupid things like “nothing will go wrong today, it is too warm and sunny”, “you shoulda seen me style this in a playboat at 800”, or “you can follow me today I know all the lines.” The river gods were listening: I flipped in 6” of class 2 boogie destroyed my shoulder and hiked out (thanks scannon for driving me to the ER). Sadly I didn’t get paddle Big South with him on Thursday.

Derk woulda been stoked to see 18 people there yesterday. He woulda laughed at my younger brother Jack for swimming twice when he should know better. Way to set a good example for the first-timers bro. I guess that is what happens when you become a raft guide :).

·
Registered
6 Posts
It was admittedly a bad day for me. The previous three br runs where clean but I guess I just wasn't feel'n it. Maybe it's time for a period of revision.
Great to see so many folks there for derk. He led me down br all the other times and I wish he could've been around yesterday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts