Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken from Durango Herald 6/27/2009:

Durango Herald News, Texas woman dies on Animas

Texas woman dies on Animas

by John Peel and Chuck Slothower
Herald Staff Writers Article Last Updated; Saturday, June 27, 2009
A 35-year-old mother of three from Texas died Friday afternoon in a rafting mishap on the upper Animas River.

The woman's name was being withheld as officials notified the family, San Juan County Undersheriff Kristine Burns said Friday night.
The woman fell into the river going through Ten Mile Rapid, Burns said. Raft guides pulled her out and performed CPR on her for 45 minutes. An emergency room doctor in the group declared her dead at 2:10 p.m., Burns said.
An autopsy will be performed Monday by the La Plata County coroner's office.
The woman's children are 10, 7 and 3 years old. She was on a trip led by 4 Corners Whitewater, Burns said.
The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad was helping transport the rafting party after the incident. The railroad frequently transports injured people to areas reachable by medical personnel, spokeswoman Andrea Seid said.
Shortly after the incident, rumors were spreading fast amid Durango's tight-knit rafting community.
"All of us outfitters have been calling each other and making sure everybody's OK," Casey Lynch, owner of Mountain Waters Rafting, said Friday afternoon. "Nobody has any information right now."
The upper Animas River can be treacherous, with class five rapids in places. Several Durango-based commercial companies run trips in that section of the river.
Heavy, intermittent rains raised water levels Friday. The Animas River was flowing at 3,500 cubic feet per second near Rockwood. The National Weather Service issued a flash flood watch for the San Juan Basin on Friday.
In June 2005, Darrel Bogenrief of Durango, a Mild to Wild Rafting guide, and tourist Scott Licona of Lumberton, Texas, were killed while rafting the upper Animas.

·
Registered
580 Posts
That's a tough deal and hits home a bit. I was just trying to talk my wife into taking an Upper A trip this weekend. My prayers are with her family, the guides, and Dana. It hurts my heart to hear about these kind of things on a river I love so much. It has to be especially tough on those whose passion it is to share that wonderful experience with many others.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts