Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is another thread on Tents and I didn't want to hijack it since the person asked about a permanent tent.

My question is more about rafting tent, the one you need to take up and down every day.

I just got off Yampa and decided I didn't like my current tent. I own a Springbar and REI Half dome tents. I love Springbar for how roomy, warm and big it is, however I hate the weight. I love the Half dome for the low weight and easy setup, but hate it for lack of privacy (unless you use a fly), head room and breeze through the windows.

So I am looking for a new tent this weekend and wanted to get some feedback. Here is my ultimate tent:

1. Low weight and packed size.
2. Head room enough to stand up to change clothes
3. 3-4 season, enough to be semi warm in the cold of early spring
4. Big enough for a small family (me, my wife and my son)
5. Be able to fit gear in
6. Zippable windows
7. Good ventilation when needed
8. Easy/Fast setup (obviously)
9. Easy door entrance (I hate crawling or diving into a tent)

So does a beast exist that will come close to my "ultimate" tent?

Thanks all for feedback.

Alex

·
Registered
10 Posts
While working on forest fires, we typically use the "60 second" tents. They are pretty durable and there are several sizes, the big one you can stand up in to get dressed. The best part about them is they are very quick to set up and take just slightly longer to take down. They are a little heavy for backpacking, though. Here's a link to one:

Line Gear : Catoma Wind Creek SpeeDome (9' x 11') [64580] - $249.00

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
slashvee, that is a cool looking tent. Have you been in one in a rain? How did it hold up? Are doors easy to open and is it good ventilation?

I've read it has heat resisting fly, it might be very useful on the desert floats.

·
Registered
10 Posts
They do great in the rain. I've slept in them for a whole week of steady drizzle with just a small amount of seepage/condensation around the lower part. The door is nice and big and the ventilation is better than average. The only problem I've ever seen with them is during high winds the wind can get under the fly and cause it to lift. We usually remove them if the wind gets really bad. If you had rain AND high winds it might be iffy. I've slept over 100 nights in mine with good luck.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I too have been searching for a tent for rafting that is also big enough to stand up in. So far I've discovered that no matter how much you spend on a big standing height tent you will always have to guy out the rainfly in windy conditions. We have a large Browning ( Greystone 4 Grey/Gold ) that we picked up for cheap and it held up awesomely in high winds up in Buena Vista, CO at the end of March and in the morning it was noticeably cooler outside of the tent but not what I would consider warm compared to a smaller tent with a shorter height. We have camped with 3 adult people multiple times and it never feels crowded (until someone snores), it has huge screens so even though it's nylon it's still cool - the fly is also sort of a light grey reflective color so that probably helps it in the cooling dept.

We camped in the rain last year in it and stayed completely dry and were able to make breakfast in comfort. The floor is heavy material and held up to a cot without a pad under it without tearing the floor. If the fly is on you can dress in privacy while standing up which is really, really nice when you're used to backpacking tents.

The downside of tall tents:

IF you don't guy down the fly because the ground is too hard where you are camping or you don't think it will be stormy and a storm blows up your poles will break. You have to guy out in wind, period, or you will soon be the proud owner of a deflated tent.

The search continues...

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,256 Posts
Eureka Timberline Outfitter 6 Tent - Camping Tents

I have been very happy with this Eureka "Boy Scout" tent. One night, I was lackadaisical about staking it and the winds kicked up to over 40 mph in the middle of the night. We had to lie prostrate to keep it from flying away. I tried to re-stake it in the downpour, using the blunt end of my ax as a mallet. It occurred to me that I was swinging the sharp end at my forehead with wet hands in a very remote location. I crawled back in and assured my family that the tent would withstand the storm. Although I was not confident, it did.

I don't own one but they used to offer a vestibule. They have made this tent for many years. The biggest drawback- you need to be six feet tall to set it up.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Check out the Big Agness Coulton Creek 4 on the REI website. Not too heavy and has mesh up top for ventilation and a door that zips up for privacy. Doesn't have a full coverage rainfly though, but looks like a decent tent.
KJ

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Ever thought of a ultralight tipi? This 12 man is about a good size for 3-4 and your center pole could be a oar.. You can even add a stove for any early/late season missions.

12 Man Tipi

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey Alex,
I got a 4 man tent at Recreation outlet that is a White rim geo dome(4 pole) with a detatchable vestibule I have the three man in the same model. Big doors, awesome rain fly, very stable. I have been in windstorms that flattened everyones tents and rain for days. I have never gotten wet and my tent hardly moved in the wind, when everyone was having theirs blow onto them. I don't know if they still have one because they are close outs. looks alot like this tent from Cabella's.

Cabela's: Cabela's Alaskan Guide® Model Tent

Wow, huge link. Anyway if you want to look at it close up I will be glueing d-rings on the new raft and we could set it up. Call Rec outlet and see if they have one. I think I paid 139.00

·
Registered
498 Posts
Look at Eureka Timberline tents. They probably make one in a size to meet your needs. The big advantage to the Timberline is that you can set up the frame and the rain fly without the tent. That is perfect for times when you want shelter from dew but don't want full enclosure. I used mine that way far more than with the whole tent.

·
Registered
106 Posts
not to hijack but...

can I throw another question into the circle - does anyone have a go-to tent that they can set up on a raft OR on a beach? (such as the Megamid or Kiva Lite)

I've heard a few models thrown around over the years but never looked into them much until now. I realize I'll probably have to sacrifice bomber windproofing for weight and size but that's ok. Suggestions?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have an old Trekker Tarp by walrus. Its my go to. Got it free back in another lifetime when i was an active guide. Its perfect, floorless. A frame style, poles or string it up between two pionts.

Pretty sure they dont make em any more, but if you stumble across one buy it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts