Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lifetime of never playing tennis, I have been getting tennis elbow, and it sucks. I have full range of motion, and strength but tap on the outside of my left elbow, and I will go through the roof. It will flare up after a day of repeated use (a day of roofing, a day of milling with a 75 cc saw, a day of bucking wood with either the little 45 or big 75 cc saw and now, after rowing)
I am running a super puma with an NRS day frame, open oarlocks, oar rights, and 8.5 foot oars, either cataracts, or homemade ash/cedar ash/basswood (they have not been used yet)
I started on oar-rights, and I have been using them as a crutch, but found after rowing a few canyon trips that I think I like feathering better, and I have a hunch that I will be cutting the tabs off of a pair of oar rights soon.
I am currently using the Tyler twist
For PT and that is helping. I am wondering if ditching the oar rights, maybe getting the indexed cataract grips or gilman grips, or just switching over to wood oars will decrease my pain.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You should check out the Customer testimonials on the Gilman Grips website To see what others have to say that have similar issues. Affiliated Sawyer and Gilman Grips

·
Registered
990 Posts
I had a case of nearly debilitating tendonitis in my right forearm, I found a PT/Chiro that used the Graston Technique, ten visits that incorporated ultrasound and one session of acupuncture (I have no idea of how that procedure impacted my healing but I guess it couldn't hurt) and I was completely healed with no relapse about ten years later. The technique espouses many of the principles of those in the video. I was able to get back to some of the arduous work I was doing before, but dang man, roofing has a finite lifespan, get out of that trade! Fix the issue and you'll be good on the oars again regardless of what grips/locks you use.

·
Jabbers
46 Posts
I don't know much about tennis elbow.... but don't cut your oar rights! I also have oar rights and also learned I prefer to feather. I just put them on the oars backwards so the blunt end works like an oar stop, without damaging the right itself.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I don't know much about tennis elbow.... but don't cut your oar rights! I also have oar rights and also learned I prefer to feather. I just put them on the oars backwards so the blunt end works like an oar stop, without damaging the right itself.
I like chopping the oar right so the tenon is about half as long. i can row unfeathered with that tenon against the bottom of the lock. Another rower can jump on the sticks, spin the handles 180° and use the oar rights.

But if one has tendinitis, you're probably gripping the handles too hard. Go for larger diameter handles (foam, tape, or Gilman grips), make sure the handles aren't slick/varnished, or use the oar rights/posi locks. I found that my original wood oar handles were too slick and small when I stopped using oar rights, so had to build them up in diameter and left them bare wood for better grip.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
And thank you thank you @jerseyjeff for posting that informative video.
Got some tennis elbow (chore related, not rowing related) and need to get it taken care of before it negatively impacts my boating season!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
For PT and that is helping. I am wondering if ditching the oar rights, maybe getting the indexed cataract grips or gilman grips, or just switching over to wood oars will decrease my pain.
elbow tendonitis sucks. bad.
i've had it in both elbows over the years - thankfully not at the same time.
the "tyler twist" technique explained in this video worked for me. you can find more info on the technique here.
no experience with gilman grips or oar rights. i do use indexed cataract oars, but not sure that made any difference. my pain seemed to be exacerbated more by general rigging chores than anything else boat-related.
keep at it with the PT ... it'll improve over time!

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
I had a case of nearly debilitating tendonitis in my right forearm, I found a PT/Chiro that used the Graston Technique, ten visits that incorporated ultrasound and one session of acupuncture (I have no idea of how that procedure impacted my healing but I guess it couldn't hurt) and I was completely healed with no relapse about ten years later. The technique espouses many of the principles of those in the video. I was able to get back to some of the arduous work I was doing before, but dang man, roofing has a finite lifespan, get out of that trade! Fix the issue and you'll be good on the oars again regardless of what grips/locks you use.
Ultra sound and acupuncture are terrific adjuncts to PT, as well as the compression strap
Interesting mention about gripping the handles too hard...question for the therapist about addressing this and stretches towards the positive?
And unfortunately, roofing, milling, rowing are the repetitive motions that counter recoup and recovery....if at all possible, longer times for rest between these activities?
Best of luck on your recovery

·
Registered
87 Posts
I also had bad "tennis elbow" (epicondylitis) in both elbows from work. Definitely sux.
I got several cortizone shots which would work for a while, but it would always come back. They can only give you so many cortizone shots because it ultimately tears down the tissue and makes the situation worse.
So I tried PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) which is when they draw some vials of your blood, spin it down to separate the plasma, and inject that back in around your sore tendon.
It has worked for me. Both elbows feel great, and it hasn't come back.

Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Injection: How It Works | HSS

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Interesting mention about gripping the handles too hard...question for the therapist about addressing this and stretches towards the positive?
Over-gripping your paddles isn't exactly the same ailment as tendinitis, but is similar. If over-gripping causes you problems, the cure is similar--stop aggravating those tendons...either a non-feathering solution or a better grip so you don't have to grasp so tightly to feather.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Same problem here. I went on Prednisone for a while which cured it, but as soon as I went off it, it came right back.

What ended up helping a ton was moving my oarlocks outboard, to get more leverage on the blades, taking stress off my tendons.

Having one or two whiskeys as soon as you get to camp helps too, and so does icing it down really good for 30 to 45 mins.

After a lifetime of never playing tennis, I have been getting tennis elbow, and it sucks. I have full range of motion, and strength but tap on the outside of my left elbow, and I will go through the roof. It will flare up after a day of repeated use (a day of roofing, a day of milling with a 75 cc saw, a day of bucking wood with either the little 45 or big 75 cc saw and now, after rowing)
I am running a super puma with an NRS day frame, open oarlocks, oar rights, and 8.5 foot oars, either cataracts, or homemade ash/cedar ash/basswood (they have not been used yet)
I started on oar-rights, and I have been using them as a crutch, but found after rowing a few canyon trips that I think I like feathering better, and I have a hunch that I will be cutting the tabs off of a pair of oar rights soon.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And, that sir, is why I ask questions on the buzz before I do anything silly to my gear! I am flipping some oar rights tonight! Wow. I totally missed that solution!

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Ultra sound and acupuncture are terrific adjuncts to PT, as well as the compression strap
And unfortunately, roofing, milling, rowing are the repetitive motions that counter recoup and recovery....if at all possible, longer times for rest between these activities?
Best of luck on your recovery
The very best advice !! I find Arnica Gel helps with ailing joints, and using a voodoo floss strap to help compress and release the muscles in your forearm and upper arm helps a bunch.

Reactions: 2tomcat2

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'll add my voice to the idea that compression straps help a TON. It's well worth giving 'em a try. Cheap and effective. They've kept mine under control for a decade now.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I fell off a ladder several years ago and landed mainly on my elbow. Nothing broken but I too have that very sensitive pain reaction. Barely graze a pillow and it feels like being stabbed with an ice pick. Ends up the left elbow has bursitis. It flairs up from time to time and not really much to do about it. Compression makes it worse. My .02.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
I fell off a ladder several years ago and landed mainly on my elbow. Nothing broken but I too have that very sensitive pain reaction. Barely graze a pillow and it feels like being stabbed with an ice pick. Ends up the left elbow has bursitis. It flairs up from time to time and not really much to do about it. Compression makes it worse. My .02.
Bursitis may be happening in the elbow; perhaps nerve damage, since it is hypersensitive and compression aggravates?

·
Never enough free time
354 Posts
I had to go with convertible oar rights because my wife can't feather. She says that hurts her elbows...me, an hour of rowing with oar rights down and my elbows are shot. Just finished a Grand last month and didn't have a single issue. It is being able to roll my wrists at the end of a forward stroke that saves my elbows.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Pins and clips?

·
Never enough free time
354 Posts
I've never tried pins and clips. In fact I can't recall ever seeing them in person. The convertible oar rights are only like $5 more each and they flip from oar rights to open locks literally in seconds.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts