Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be in Knoxville next week then Chattanooga in July and may have some limited time to boat with a rent a car. I am a class IV/V- boater and would love to get some southeast river time. Although my time might be limited. Are there any options to rent a boat and go do some play runs by myself around Knoxville next week and around Chattanooga in the middle of July? I was thinking of bringing by PFD, skirt, helmet and water gear. Any suggestions?
I hear the Ocoee is near Chattanooga so was thinking of renting a play boat for a day.
Any buzzards out in dem dar parts?

·
River Gypsy
255 Posts
Unless you get lucky with a well-placed and well-timed rain storm, the options will be the Green (IV/V, 2.5 hrs. from Knox, 3.5 hrs. from Chatt) or the Ocoee (III play, very close to Chatt, 1.5 hrs? from Knox).

Near the Green, try Asheville Adventure Rentals and on the Ocoee, Rock Creek Ocoee has demo boats. Not sure if they rent them out or how that works.

Have a great trip!

Leland

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ocoee is the best bet. In addition to what Leland said, and within a tolerable drive, you also got Tellico (IV) and Cheoah (IV and highly recommended). Looks like there is a Cheoah release scheduled for July 7th & 8th.

You could also check out the N.O.C. (www.noc.com) on the nantahala. I think they rent boats and have a new park a play hole that will host the Freestyle World Cup this year.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Definitely the Green. You should hate yourself if you miss it. I'm likely paddling next weekend and could show a buzzard down. Holler at me. 303 594 9733
Joe

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Green? Guess I should bring the elbow pads.

Would be great to boat with the flying ducky!

Not sure if I will have enough time to make the Green but will call you if I can swing it.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Did you hear about the kayaker who moved from Colorado to Tennessee? With that move, the average IQ increased dramatically in both states.

·
Registered
381 Posts
hey mane - just saw this... sent u a text although I don't know if went thru

anyways, I've got some ideas for you and some folks you could meet up with back that way

Ocoee is a definite - runs Thurs. thru Sun. if I recall correctly - it's been wet enough to get some natural runs in like section IV of the Chatooga - Pigeon has releases too - not to mention Green Narrows if you're down - we'll talk

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'll be Greening Sat/Sun. Looks like flows will only be 0800-1100am on Saturday and we'll know about Sunday tomorrow. If you want to go, call me. 303/594-9733
Joe

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like I am not going to have time this trip.

I am leaving Friday. Will be back in July.

Thanks for the offer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts