Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious about this raft we just acquired, forgive my new guy questions.

I figure it's 15+ years old!? I may be wrong.

My buddy made a great trade for it, now we are outfitting it for fishing.

It's an NRS I figured, because it says "Northwest Raft Supply"...duh
A gray 15 foot Raft with two thwarts glued in, metal military valves;
The SPORT model I assume!?

It has these crazy straps on the front, what are these for?

It has a heck of a leak all of a sudden:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYovYpFrEBc&feature=youtu.be

I've learned here that's a military valve (I have enjoyed the controversy of their desirability.)

Is this a PVC raft , or Hypalon?

I'm going to call NRS tomorrow to see how they can help. I figured maybe you guys had some wisdom to share too.

I kinda want to replace that whole valve boot but keep the valve.

theres a couple of other small leaks I want to repair, and some wear patches to glue on, as well.

We've had it out now twice on the upper C and other than this valve starting to leak bad yesterday, The raft has been great... and the fishing even better!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
339 Posts
A 15 year old NRS raft looks pretty much the same as the current boats. That thing must be from the 70's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have looked for a serial#.
no luck, where are they typically located?

70's. I can believe it. I figured it was old/ vintage.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,466 Posts
It is older than 15 years. In fact, it is likely older than 25 years. I have had NRS boats from the early 90's in the shop and they had newer logos and had already upgraded out of military valves/ boots by 91.

Its not surprising that the SN is gone. The metal plates they used into the early 2000's pulled out and got lost all the time so no reason to think the older ones would have done any better

It is the "sport" model.

I dont know what the straps are for. Never seen them

I assume it is hypalon, but only because i have never seen PVC NRS boats. Doesnt mean they didn't make them. I have never had one that old in the shop. Its a classic for sure and has the potential to make every trip a real adventure!!

That valve boot does look like it is starting to leak pretty good. It could go on like that for a while or could fail catastrophically if it got folded wrong, had to much pressure in it, to little pressure in it, or was left to bake in full sun. I have replaced boots that looked to be leaking about like yours but when i pulled them out I find the whole boot is cracked through and seems like divine intervention is the only thing holding air in the boat at all. If you are going to replace the boot you might as well do an inside outside patch over the hole and retro fit it with a C-7. It will be easier than getting a new boot in there and you'll get rid of the boot and have a good valve. Dont forget to put the back of the valve in before you patch the hole.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is older than 15 years. In fact, it is likely older than 25 years.

Its a classic for sure and has the potential to make every trip a real adventure!!

but when i pulled them out I find the whole boot is cracked through and seems like divine intervention is the only thing holding air in the boat at all.
wow, seems so so true. great post. thanks.

I am concentrating on safety for sure, now i see repair kits and a spare valve being ordered this week. i have the throw/flip bags, knives, whistles, PFD's etc of course.

noted about the c-7 patch. once again good advice, maybe keep the old military valve for emergency parts...!?

A work in progress for sure. I really just want to keep it going for a few seasons. amazing find for entry level and the price was right. I am sure we will eventually get better rubber.

But as y'all say..."whatever gets you out there..."

·
Registered
500 Posts
Straps are on the rear, not the front - to thread through slots in a plywood transom. Valves and rubber indicate mid- to late 80's, one of the first Sport models.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can help you fix it Scotty. My shop or yours. Forget about boot replacement, it would be like replacing the motor in a Hyundai Excel. It looks like the whole side of the boat was loosing air, not just the quarter that the valve would supply. If this is the case, your baffle is no good. This would normally be bad news. However, in your case, if your baffle is blown, we can simply patch over the leaky valve and use the other exclusively.
Your probably thinking how hard is it to fix the baffle too. Well after putting the new engine in the Hyundai you get custom paint and balling 20's. Now you say "Holy crap a boat with only 3 chambers, is that safe?" Sure, just like a new nrs otter. Give me a call if I can help. 4701936

1 - 13 of 13 Posts