Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm going to be going down to the gunnison/CB area for the 4th to ride bikes, camp, and get some river time.

I'm looking for some anecdotal input re flows for rafting on the taylor. Mainly to gauge the difficulty, what boats to bring, and who to put in said boats. I have read the write up on AWW

We've been down all sections of the CO pump to glenwood, Eagle - dowd to eagle, Clear creek - Lawson, below rigor, and tunnel 1. I couldn't find a good rafting video of the upper sections (anyone have a link?) not looking for a handout on beta here just looking for a "oh yeah, if you've run that stuff you'll be fine it's similar to ......, harder/easier than ...."

Thanks everyone. If you're down there that weekend more than happy to link up, shuttle and drink beer at the takeout!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I talked to a buddy at FibArk that runs the Taylor every Tuesday... he said it's low and slow for the lower at the moment. Wish I was more help... it's been about 15 years since I floated the upper/lower and don't really remember much of it unfortunately beyond Todd's Slot. :( Not as rowdy by any means as CC or Dowd, but narrower than Upper C for sure with a bit more of a creek feel is how I remember it. My buddy typically rows, but did mention he's been using his Ducky mostly on the Taylor.

We are heading to Tin Cup that weekend for similar fun, and think I'm going to float the Gunnison one of the days to check it out for some fishing assisted beer drinking. I'd be game to float the Taylor in my kayak so I can float with the kiddo though if you do make a break for it! I wouldn't mind an ole memory bank refresher on it for sure!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I talked to a buddy at FibArk that runs the Taylor every Tuesday... he said it's low and slow for the lower at the moment. Wish I was more help... it's been about 15 years since I floated the upper/lower and don't really remember much of it unfortunately beyond Todd's Slot. :( Not as rowdy by any means as CC or Dowd, but narrower than Upper C for sure with a bit more of a creek feel is how I remember it. My buddy typically rows, but did mention he's been using his Ducky mostly on the Taylor.

We are heading to Tin Cup that weekend for similar fun, and think I'm going to float the Gunnison one of the days to check it out for some fishing assisted beer drinking. I'd be game to float the Taylor in my kayak so I can float with the kiddo though if you do make a break for it! I wouldn't mind an ole memory bank refresher on it for sure!
Excellent, just from my investigation, i'd agree, seems like smaller water than poudre, CO, drop me a pM if you're looking for a run. We're just a rowdy (it is the 4th of july? cmon) bunch of 20 somethings, but wouldn't mind having some other boats along.

Fingers crossed for a bump in flows!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey folks,

I'm going to be going down to the gunnison/CB area for the 4th to ride bikes, camp, and get some river time.

I'm looking for some anecdotal input re flows for rafting on the taylor. Mainly to gauge the difficulty, what boats to bring, and who to put in said boats. I have read the write up on AWW

We've been down all sections of the CO pump to glenwood, Eagle - dowd to eagle, Clear creek - Lawson, below rigor, and tunnel 1. I couldn't find a good rafting video of the upper sections (anyone have a link?) not looking for a handout on beta here just looking for a "oh yeah, if you've run that stuff you'll be fine it's similar to ......, harder/easier than ...."

Thanks everyone. If you're down there that weekend more than happy to link up, shuttle and drink beer at the takeout!
I've done the Upper Taylor in a canoe about 6 times . It is a fun run and there are numerous surfing spots. The lowest I've run it is 30o cfs and the highest is 900. There is one rapid that would be pretty tight for a big raft. Lots if folks fishing from the banks and private property owners don't want you to get out of your boat on their property.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts