Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be camping on Kebler Pass this weekend and looking to run the Lower Taylor River on Saturday. It'll only be my buddy Chris and I and we're still classified as beginning paddlers. We both feel comfortable in easy Class III, can make moves in whitewater and have reliable onside river rolls. The Lower Taylor is classified as Class II+ on eddyflower and looks doable as long as the flows don't make it too boney. Anyone have any advice on this section. Won't be with any experts so just wanna make sure we're not biting off more than we can chew. Also, if anyone wants to join us and show us the way down, that would be more than awesome! We will be equipped with Keystone Light, PBR, and Crown Royal if you're interested - thanks!! :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
You should be fine, the lower is pretty straight forward. Im going to be kayaking the Upper for the first time (rafted it many times) on Saturday with a bunch of my buddies leading in the raft, and possibly a ducky. Planning on noon. We too will be well equipped with all necessary provisions. Send me an email if you are interested.
Andrew

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
We took some beginners over that section last weekend and it was very easy. Take the (+) off the II. You won't need anybody to show you the way cuz it's self evident. Have fun.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hit taylor canyon its at a good flow, Easy scouts and portage if necessary. Class III IMHO. At least drive up there and check it out

·
Registered
29 Posts
Went down last week. Easy, straight forward run. I go often, and I take my 10' avon bucket boat with a homemade wood frame. No problem. Enjoy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The lower is a pretty mellow section. Just watch for a couple of small holes and lots of rocks. 90% can be seen while driving shuttle, so you can get a good look if you are nervous.

andru187: If you are doing the upper, you should tack on the middle. it only adds a few miles, but it is right through the Wilder property. Show Show that you aren't afraid of his BS.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
the lower can be run down to around 250. i personally take out at mike and annies at flows below 300 but diehards do go all the way to almont at that flow.

the first mile is the biggest, there are six or seven good rapids strung together, most are easy but a few of them can surprise you with their power. Richard Nixon is the biggest drop in there, go left for a fun toilet bowl style pillow move. below the mountain park it mellows considerably, just a maze through sleeper city. as the river veers away from the road remember you are dropping into private property.

the last mile above almont sometimes get very flat and shallow.

the upper rapids are all II+, Richard Nixon and the Screaming Right Hand/Right or Left combo are easily III-. Most of the river is solid II. II plus a lot of II+ and a couple III- = a class II+ run.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts