Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Taylor River in Gunnison County is running at higher than normal flows for early season. We're seeing 600-700 CFS and will likely see higher levels as the run-off continues due to significantly higher than normal snowpack. Get some while you can. The surfing is fantastic and there is a medium to big water feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
It will go higher. I saw somewhere that the Taylor basin is like 125% of average. I would love to see 1000 coming out the dam again...

On a side note this should be a great year for the Taylor Park run, its absolutely beautiful and a real treat when it gets up above 700 or so...

Looking forward to Cottonwood Pass opening.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes, there is a ton of snow above Taylor Reservoir. 2 weeks ago I drove up there to scout the Taylor Park Run and I couldn't even make it up past the main road going past the reservoir. There was still 2 feet of snow in Lottis Campground, and the folks at Three Rivers said it might be the middle of May or later before they open up alot of the campgrounds. I believe we will be have a very long season on the Taylor, going well into Sept. Logan lets hook up, I'll keep all appraised of upcoming gatherings on the Taylor. Loyal group of 6 riverrats from Montrose doing Taylor, San Miguel, Crystal, Lake Fork, Gunny Gorge, and Roaring Fork every weekend. Great year ahead!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
For sure Gunther. I will be more way more fired up about driving out your way once the passes open. When I looked, it was something like 4 hours to North Fork without Cottonwood and Kebler open, a little over 2 hours when they are...

Don't forget about Paddlefest either. Its a ton of fun, and we do happen to have some pretty darn good whitewater...;-)

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
On a side note this should be a great year for the Taylor Park run, its absolutely beautiful and a real treat when it gets up above 700 or so...

Looking forward to Cottonwood Pass opening.

When you go please post a TR with pics!! When the Taylor Park Run is > 800 cfs it's one of my favorite runs anywhere in the basin. I'm hoping it holds out until mid July, I will be back to visit starting July 11th and I'm hoping I can still catch a bit of it....

·
Registered
808 Posts
boating the taylor friday am. on my over cottonwood. what is my best option? I've done the canyon section, is taylor park worth it? any access beta?
thx

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Oh yeah? I drove over it Saturday and ran the Canyon...it was a hoot. Love the Taylor at high water. Hope to see 1000 out the dam this year.

Pass is open, unless there was some big avalanche or landslide or something...

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Park run is worth it at this flow for good 2+ and excellent scenery. If you go expecting more whitewater you will be disappointed, but there is pretty continuous 2+ action.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Park run is above the reservoir... Put in at the bridge where it changes from whitewater to flat water. Sorry it's late and I'm tired otherwise I would look at a map. Then take out at the Pie Plant Cow Camp, or go down to the reservoir, but there used to be an old dilapidated fence in the water at the camp, I cut it out last year, but you should scout to make sure it hasn't been replaced.

·
Registered
579 Posts
We were on the Taylor all weekend (& Monday)
Went over cottonwood on Friday came back over it Monday.

Fun runs for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
67 Posts
Put in right below Lottis Creek for some fast class IV action that lasts for about 15 minutes then peters out to mellow pools for a couple miles before hitting New Generation at mile marker 12. If you don't want the boring in between take out at Lodgepole on the Lottis section. New Generation to South Bank has the most continuous whitewater and more often ran but Lottis Creek is a hoot hollering section especially when they bump the dam release to 600 in June

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Mountain Buzz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts