Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been a few posts on the boater's forum but I haven't been able to finalize anything. 3 of us are making the trek from Texas to Taos. We'll be arriving on Sat morning (8am) and expect to run the Pilar twice that day. We are running the LTB on Sunday.
Anyone going to be out there during this time? We would really like to meet up with a group for more support. Two of us have run the Box multiple times. I just prefer to be with regional boaters not only for the fun but safety factor, too. If you are planning on coming up or happen to know of a group that I can contact please let me know.

Thanks, Devin Ginther
512 762 5898

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, I am heading up there, but it will be my first time in a few years being in a boat so I am not up for those runs. I was hoping to feel comfortable enough to do the race course on Monday if you are still around. FYI - the river is really flowing. If you are thinking about the box beware and get a hold of some locals.

·
Registered
72 Posts
nm boating

we are heading down there from colorado on friday night. want to run pilar and LTB. Gonna be fun.

neilie tibbs
970-531-2091

·
Registered
141 Posts
Im going to be in Taos this weekend but only boat upto III+ runs with the occasional IV- rapid. Is there going to be anything for me to run there or should I leave my boat at home?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Devin,

Heading down to NM on Friday. Planning on running the Race Course on Saturday and LTB on Sunday. Not sure of launch time on Sunday though.

Have run the LTB multiple times,

Zach

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zach, I'll try to give you a call tomorrow. My cell is 512 762 5898 feel free to call me. We are leaving about 3pm on Friday and expect to arrive around 5am on Sat. We are meeting at least one other group of 3 boaters. Right now, we have tentative plans to run the LTB and Pilar in one shot. Gonna try both runs on Sat and Sun. A full day of boating that is sure, but we must maximize our water time.
We can all try to meet at the Embudo Station Restaurant (Pilar take-out). This of course assumes we run the LTB, Pilar and Racecourse sections. Total of 25 miles. Figure we meet by 6am so we are at the put-in around dawn. I'll know much more by say about 3-4pm on Friday or maybe even tomorrow. I know this is a long stetch but I thought in the long run it would be easier b/c we can relax through the Pilar section and not have to run another shuttle to the Racecourse which will consume 1.5 hrs or so.

Afox, it really depends on how comfortable you are in Class III+ and IV- water. Most the trip will be Class III+. However, I'm told the Pilar gets nasty at this level and can be rated a Class V- above 4000cfs in one spot. Can't confirm b/c I'm no Rio river expert. Good thing is that the Pilar section is easily scoutable and you can pretty much portage most everything if my memory serves me correctly. The LTB is going to be huge wave trains, large holes you want to avoid but outside of that less technical then at lower levels. A lot of the technical lines will be washed out. I typically boat Class III-IV and do pretty well but I'm still learning, no doubt. Personally, I'm comfortable in the big stuff and have a rock solid and very quick roll. You have to make the call. If you tend to swim in III+ and IV then I might avoid it. Or if you aren't 100% confident in your rolling ability in combat then you might reconsider. If all the above doesn't sound too bad then join us. Believe me, I'm slightly nervous and my friend is more nervous but everyone will do just fine. I'm pretty damn excited actually.

Ntibbs, give me a buzz so we can solidify arrangments for Sat morning.

If others are interested feel free to call me so we can all make arrangements.

Devin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, it is confirmed. We are running from the LTB through the Racecourse on both Sat and Sunday. Leaving the Racecourse take-out (next to 68 south of Pilar) at 9am. We expect to jump on the LTB around 10am or so. At this level it shouldn't take us but 8 hrs.
I can be reached on my cell, 512 762 5898. Leave a message b/c I'll be in and out of service.

Devin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts