Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a Taos/Pilar visual?
470 at Pilar might be enough for me to make the drive. That seems like a sunny stretch of river - I'd guess it's ice free.
But I'd love to know before I hit the highway.
Thanks.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ice Free

It has been Ice free (no ice dams) all winter. There is a group that usually goes every Sunday. It's beautiful, decent play and the bald eagles are out and about. Atom....

Anybody have a Taos/Pilar visual?
470 at Pilar might be enough for me to make the drive. That seems like a sunny stretch of river - I'd guess it's ice free.
But I'd love to know before I hit the highway.
Thanks.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Atom.
I'll be rolling into Taos mid-morning on Sunday. I'd be happy to solo, but if there are other boaters around, all the better.
-Mike

·
Registered
501 Posts
It has been Ice free (no ice dams) all winter. There is a group that usually goes every Sunday. It's beautiful, decent play and the bald eagles are out and about. Atom....
Hi, Atom. I assume that is not so for the UTB, is it?

Hope you've been having a good winter. I see the ski area got dumped on.

Cheers!
Ken

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ted - and anybody else -

Want to meet at the river at noon? I don't have my guidebook in front of me but I think I remember Pilar is all roadside --- so just tell me where to meet, put-in or takeout, and I'll be there.

-Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
Noon on sunday is fine with me. Pilar is all road side. Lets meet at the quarztite put in (across from the ranger station) and run shuttle from there.

- e-mail if plans change: tgeving{-at-}gmail-com

Thanks
- Ted

·
Registered
512 Posts
sunday

Mike,
I have to work Sunday, but I sent an email out to a bunch of folks. If any respond, I'll get in touch. Most folks meet at Sous Hole parking lot between 11-12. Leave shuttle vehicle there and drive to the put in. This saves a mile or so of flat-water at the end.
Ken,
Upper Box is to low, but we are having a great snow-pack year. Above normal so far. Should be a great Spring...

Thanks Atom.
I'll be rolling into Taos mid-morning on Sunday. I'd be happy to solo, but if there are other boaters around, all the better.
-Mike

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanks, Atom. Its getting close though. Just need to know when ice is gone. Please think of contacting me if you notice it good to go.

Thanks and happy turns.

Cheers!
Ken

·
Registered
512 Posts
Needs to be 450cfs minimum I think before it is worth going in there, should be getting there in March or if we get a big hot spell, sooner :)
I'll keep in touch...

Thanks, Atom. Its getting close though. Just need to know when ice is gone. Please think of contacting me if you notice it good to go.

Thanks and happy turns.

Cheers!
Ken

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet.
I'll see you there, Ted.
Atom - thanks again. It'll be great if more make it. I may be bringing a few Colorado boaters as it turns out. New Mex-Colorado collaboration - we'll turn it into a stinking carnival.
Hey - maybe Pilar Mardi Gras.
I'm bringing beads.:cool:
Oh - and beer.
And maybe my guitar.

·
Registered
33 Posts
See you on sunday...

I might be able to round up a few more people.

Sweet.
I'll see you there, Ted.
Atom - thanks again. It'll be great if more make it. I may be bringing a few Colorado boaters as it turns out. New Mex-Colorado collaboration - we'll turn it into a stinking carnival.
Hey - maybe Pilar Mardi Gras.
I'm bringing beads.:cool:
Oh - and beer.
And maybe my guitar.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ken,
I doubt there is a lot of ice, but two years ago when we hiked down in late Feb, the thigh deep snow on the trail was the biggest issue more than ice on rocks/river and that was a colder February.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Ken,
I doubt there is a lot of ice, but two years ago when we hiked down in late Feb, the thigh deep snow on the trail was the biggest issue more than ice on rocks/river and that was a colder February.
Hi, TK.

Yea, March is the earliest I've ever hit. I always enjoy starting my boatin' season there. Two days of the hike, boat, bike a-thon jump start the season conditioning. My last visit was a solo at 400. Which, I thought was an intersting level. Looking forward to getting back. Keep me in mind for March. Thanks.

Cheers!
Ken

1 - 14 of 14 Posts