Mountain Buzz banner

Taos Box 23-25 April

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  AnthonyE 
#1 ·
Gotta be in Albuquerque for business Thur 22 April. Anyone doing the Upper Taos Box that friday/weekend? I will be driving or flying from Austin 21 April.

I cannot seem to put my hands on the guidebook--is my EZ sufficient or do I need the creekboat? The AW site says the shuttle takes forever. Any advice on that score?

#2 ·
good luck on flows, the upper box should be dried up by then, looks like it's below 400 and dropping. It's not really worth it below 300. If you do go paddle a creek boat. As far as the upper box, the shuttle is a breeze, the road parrallels the canyon rim. It's the hike back up to your car at the takeout that is a bitch... Turn off the main highway at the big brown Rio Grande Wild and Scenic River sign north of Questa, and drive about 6 or 7 miles to get to the putin(Chiflo Trail), then another 6 or 7 miles to the takeout(Little Arsenic Trail, this is where you want to camp).

#3 ·
Abuquerque local play

If you want to check out the local ditch playspot in town let me know and I can probably go down there with you after work. We generally don't run the box when it is below 800. The water should come up again when the high altitude snow starts to melt so keep an eye on the guage.
-Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.