Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to Glenwood this weekend to meet up with my girlfriend and one of her friends to do some rafting. I've got a 12' maravia I'm planning on taking with me to do some paddle guiding.

I'm a guide, she used to be a guide for a short time and I don't know about her friend, but I'm pretty confident they can follow paddle commands.

I've been eyeballing shoshone for years now and it looks like a ton of fun, but pretty damn rowdy too.

any advice?
the description of shoshone on here is pretty much non-existant, and I'm a little hesitant to take them down a III-IV stretch I've never run before. I've done read and runs on #'s and the Gorge, but that was with people I wasn't as concerned about (i.e. other guide friends).

Is this section going to blow us away? Or are the lines pretty straight forward? would anyone in the area be willing to meet up with us sunday am and show us the lines? should we check out the roaring fork? would anyone in the area be willing to meet up with us sunday am and show us the lines?

·
Registered
983 Posts
The bike path follows the River on the right. Just walk it and have a look. Shoshone is exciting at higher flows, but it's mostly over within a mile. The bike path itself is probably the biggest danger at high flows.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Stay slightly right on most of the sections except the wall where you'll want to stay left of the big hole at the top then head back right after the hole

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice!

Is the wall a pretty pronounced feature?

I talked to the head boatman of our company and he said not to sweat this one too much.

I'm definitely feeling better about it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Read and run. That stretch is where I got my feet wet paddle guiding, r2ing, flipping and un flipping a rafts. Nothing out of the ordinary In there, but it will get you if you let your guard down. Mostly pretty forgiving if you do go for a swim.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
70 Posts
I too am looking at running it tomorrow,14' oar frame with paddle assist from a couple of buddies. We'll be checking it today and tomorrow to see what it looks like at this flow.

I've run Shoshone before at 4000, back when I started rafting, like others said we just scouted from the bike path and ran it. It was exciting and we were able to make it through. Maneater almost got us but I was able to muscle out of the hole. I am sure with more experience I could have been able to stay away from it.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
If the commercials are running you can walk down the bike path from Shashone about a half mile or so and watch them negotiate the rock garden. I learned the line I take by watching them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
the flos on sho are over 6000 so commercial trips are kicked off this stretch for now, maybe till the 4th of July...Also watch out for tuttles (big hit) and martys (big hole) and the 3rd hit on entrance exam.

·
Registered
41 Posts
the wall

I can verify the comments about a 12 foot raft in the hole at the top of the wall ... was trying to go left but didn't make it.... the raft and my two non highsiding sons got through OK, I stayed and explored the bottom of the hole then had an very tiring swim... Stay Left!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Shoshone at 6-8K cfs and up is formidable. It is a very clean but narrow line, easily identifiable via a very convenient scout. River covers the bike path at higher flows, and that's where the most trouble happens. There is a reason the commercials are shut down, so take your a-game.

And I seem to remember a huge wave that appears in the 'horseshoe bend' below Grizzly around 10-12K that can flip unwary boaters in a stretch that is normally considered class II water.

So have fun, but watch yourself!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts