Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was safety kayaking for a commercial trip on pine creek on tuesday when a shreder dropped into the hole and started surfing. One guy fell out and I assumed that he knew what he was doing (i was wrong, it was just the two of them with no safety - good thing our trip was there). As I pulled alongside him he dropped a pour over and went under for a few seconds. When he came up flailing I decided to help and told him to grab the back of my boat. He then attempted to instead grab my paddle, lifejacket, and cockpit. Finally, when I dodged him and let him on the back, he tried to climb on the boat. Luckly I managed to catch an eddy right as this was happening. I just wanted to emphasize to everyone who swims that if someone lets you grab their stern you need to hold on and kick hard to help them. Don't grab anything but a grab loop and don't try to climb on board - it's not a raft.

P.S. Kent, we fired up Double Trouble and Whiteline yesterday and after that I proceded to get worked in the lower narrows!

·
Super Moderator
4,035 Posts
As a rafter, I can appreciate those words that are like music to my ears, "grab onto the loop" and have done so without causing the kayaker any trouble.

This sounds like the classic case of panicked swimmer who's totally freaked out trying to get out of the water any way that he can. They warn you about this in lifesaving class. I hope that you don't let this experience prevent you from rescuing swimmers of any persuasion in the future. If it happens again, Jeffro's on the right track...

--Andy

·
Registered
587 Posts
Did you have the opportunity to educate them about proper procedure?
They weren't from Aspen by any chance?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts