Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

The instructors teaching the course I am interested in are Campton and Young. Its through Rescue 3 International and its at RMA/Poudre.

·
Registered
805 Posts
It really depends what you are looking for. If you are a private boater and don't need the certification - which in rescue 3 is generally aimed, at best, at commercial rafters, and at worst firefighters and other "professional" rescue personnel. These courses are important but for the private boater the skills you really need to make life saving decisions with your crew on the river will likely not be covered.

I am an instructor so I'm completely biased but these are the best courses for both private kayakers and rafters https://downstreamedge.wordpress.com/

Check out the "upcoming classes" side bar on the left for what we've got soon.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I took it many years ago and it was a good course. Not great compared to other courses now offered but very solid.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did it through RMA in 1996. Bill Dvorak and one of his guides were the instructors at the time. It was May and was raining/sleeting one of the days. We got to do a high tyrolean to pull a wrapped boat off a bridge. I thought it was a great hands on experience, but with any of it, you need to practice to keep it fresh. Memorable weekend for sure!

·
Registered
301 Posts
SBB:

I know a lot of people who take it through RMA and a lot of people have recommended it to me. I don't know exactly who teaches it, but I do know that RMA brings in an expert team from out of town. RMA handles logistics and the Contractors do the instructing.

As mentioned, many who have taken it have spoken very highly of it. Maybe more importantly, none of the broke raft guides who have paid for the class and gave up making money on Memorial Day Weekend have bitched that it wasn't worth the money or the time.

If you call them you will find Chris and Miranda to be very helpful and informative.

Good Luck. Tom

·
Registered
394 Posts
Tom Martin is a sexy, sexy man. I can't wait to boat with him.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SBB:

I know a lot of people who take it through RMA and a lot of people have recommended it to me. I don't know exactly who teaches it, but I do know that RMA brings in an expert team from out of town. RMA handles logistics and the Contractors do the instructing.

As mentioned, many who have taken it have spoken very highly of it. Maybe more importantly, none of the broke raft guides who have paid for the class and gave up making money on Memorial Day Weekend have bitched that it wasn't worth the money or the time.

If you call them you will find Chris and Miranda to be very helpful and informative.

Good Luck. Tom
Chris has been super helpful and set me up for the class memorial day weekend.

Definitely not a broke raft guide either, haha.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Put deposit down on class over Memorial Day weekend. Anyone else taking this class? Super pumped for class and awesome crew over there at RMA. Super helpful and seem just as excited as I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
62 Posts
Campy and Eric are great.. i don't think you can go wrong with them. i have been on real rescues with them on the Ark. they are the real deal

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Campy and Eric are great.. i don't think you can go wrong with them. i have been on real rescues with them on the Ark. they are the real deal

I have only heard good things about these too. Been looking forward to class for a few seasons.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ACA Swiftwater Rescue Skills Course, Crested Butte/Gunnison

If these dates work for you! Send me a message if you have any questions.

I am teaching a ACA Swiftwater Rescue Skills course May 30-31 in Crested Butte/Gunnison If you want to expand on your rescue skills.
ACA Swiftwater Rescue Skills course in Crested Butte/Gunnison,
operated by Irwin Guides. For more information and to sign up:
970-349-5430, [email protected]
Irwin Guides
Irwin Guides

Nothing builds confidence like developing your rescue skills! You can take this American Canoe Association (ACA) curriculum many places, Irwin Guides Swiftwater Rescue Course is designed to meet the needs of river paddlers and paddling instructors.
We’ll help you learn to read rivers carefully in order to identify hazards, develop rescue and prevention strategies and build a tool kit of skills to help you and your paddle partners manage risky situations. While using ropes, rescue vests and other tools of the trade, students and instructors take turns swimming through rough rapids and practicing techniques in a controlled environment which will help develop a rescue mindset and the hard skills needed for rescue. This may be the most valuable paddling class you’ll ever take!
Completion of the 2-day course entitles students to an ACA participation certificate, accepted by most river outfitters, kayak schools and outdoor programs.
Who: Kayakers, rafters & whitewater canoeists
What: A two-day class on the Gunnision River
Date & Time: May 30-May 31 Class runs 8am- 5pm both days.
Cost: $199 for a two-day class.
Prerequisites: Class II boating skills

Irwin Guides
Irwin Guides

·
Registered
15 Posts
swiftwater

Campy and Eric are both great guys and know there stuff when it comes to swiftwater rescue and rivers in general. Hopefully i can get the funds together to take there swiftwater course again this year.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just took a swift water class on the poudre through RMA with Campy and Eric as instructors. Highly recommend both and class was awesome! Poudre was running good which made for some fun days!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts