Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get my swift water rescue certification and wanted to know if anyone had any advice on when and where I should get it done. Who is the authority on those certifications? I have seen a few web sites on some of the certifications but am not sure about what would be the right course for a kayaked. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
RMOC has a good course but not sure if they offer a certification. I was told that all of these courses began with Dvorak and he is the authority but I have no first hand knowledge of that.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
where do you live?

There is a guy named Mike Mather who is a guru in this stuff. i haven't personally taken his swiftwater rescue course, but i know a bunch who have and really liked it. Try starting with Alpine Kayak if you are close to Vail, and they could give you a solid lead.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I took Dvorak's class and was very impressed. Well worth the money and you can retake after 3 years for 1/2 the price.

Only drawback is that you will have rescue professionals (EMT, Firefighters) and rafting guide types, so it isn't kayak specific.

·
Registered
76 Posts
river rescue

CKS down in Nathrop holds kayak specific rescue classes but nothing that will give you an official cert. if that is what you are looking for. I have heard great things about Dvorak.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
I too am interested in taking a class. I would like to round up a group of folks I know and do it together. (saving yourself can sometimes be difficult) Anyone know a qualified instructor, that would want to teach something a little less formal to a group we organized ourselves?

Feel free to PM me if you or your company meets that description.

Dave

·
Registered
558 Posts
the boc is doing a swr instructor cert and the two day regular cert on april 24-27.

eric is definitely the local swr authority. he is a very good instructor.

Nick

·
Registered
558 Posts
dave,
the boc is doing a swr instructor cert and the two day regular cert on april 24-27.

eric is definitely the local swr authority. he is a very good instructor.

Nick

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check w/Rescue 3 International

I took a course with Rescue 3 International and I thought it was great. It is a cert. class (You get a certificate at the end of the course saying you completed the course). You recert after 3 years and half the cost (I believe). I have taken a number of search and rescue courses and feel that Rescue 3 does a great job. It is easy to understand and follow and you do a lot of hands on rescue work. If you can get a dry suit-not just a dry top, I suggest it. You spend a LOT of time in the water-2 days. Rescue 3 puts on classes all over the world. Their instructors have taken swiftwater 1 once, and swiftwater 2 twice. In addition to this they are rescue scuba divers. I believe these are just a few of the certs. required by rescue 3. Check them out. You should be able to find their web-site.
PJ

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mike Mather is teaching a beginner course through CMC in Vail...i think there will be 2 courses in June - one the second weekend and another the last weeknd. He may also be doing an advanced level course either through Alpine Kayak (970.949.3350) or thru CMC. The certification ofr this course if through the ACA.

I have assisted him with his courses for the past few years and I have also taken some Rescue 3 courses. Mather's course is the course for you.

Good luck and good thinking.

matt

·
Have paddled a Quest
102 Posts
Rescue Courses

There are now two primary governing bodies sanctioning whitewater rescue courses: Rescue 3, and the American Canoe Association (ACA).

The Rescue 3 courses are primarily aimed at rescue professionals such as EMT's, fire fighters and raft guides. As such, these courses are more general in nature and have a heavier emphasis on logistics (ie what the chain of command is when various agencies are invoved in a rescue). They are good, intense rescue courses and after passing the course you receive an official ceritfication from Rescue 3 which will impress your friends and neighbors and might actually mean something in the event you have to deal with local authorities during a rescue. Rather than going into detail on the courses, I will suggest that the Whitewater Rescue Technician course (WRT as opposed to SRT- Swiftwater Rescue Techinchian) is the most applicable for recreational boaters. If you need the cert for guiding rafts, then go for SRT.

The ACA courses do not result in a certification which would be recognized by authorities, but they are much more tailored to recreational boaters, and deal with situations which are more realistic for kayakers- like suppose for instance that you don't happen to be carrying 200 feet of static 11mm rope in your kayak! :eek: The ACA basic course is one day and is a good intro to rescue, and the advanced course is two days and covers most scenarios that you will encounter as a recreational boater (including various pin situations).

Good summary descriptions of all of the courses that I mentioned can be found at:

http://www.wavetrek.com/washington_rescue_training.htm

If you are interested in taking the ACA rescue courses locally, the Colorado White Water Association offers both beginning and advanced ACA courses to members, and the course fees will go to support river access and conservation in Colorado. Contact Phillip Bowman at (970) 328-2037.

If you are interested in taking Rescue 3 courses, Brandon Holms of Adventure Medicine International is offering several WRT courses in May- his contact info is:

Brandon Holmes
[email protected]

Cheers!
Marco

·
Registered
253 Posts
Marco's description is right on. If you wish to contact me about any of the CWWA class offerings, you can also email me:

safety"at"coloradowhitewater.org ("at" to stop those spam-bots)

Please send me an email if you have any questions. We have some classes scheduled for late May and early June for those who might be interested.

Phillip Bowman
CWWA Safety Director

1 - 15 of 15 Posts