Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
She was pinned for 90 minutes, they said. That's a pretty good example of why you want to overdress for cool water. She's lucky her head was above water.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
better version on cbsnews.com search videos for kayak rescue. great job of getting her off the rock and rolling her up. not sure about the letting her go part or the rope around the neck but i wasnt there.

·
Registered
269 Posts
This happened on the Main Payette at around 1,200 cfs (lowish) in a class ~III. The victim had about 4 or 5 seasons of experience and she was with a group with over 40 years of experience. The rescuer is Conrad Fourny (Stikine veteran with the first run of V-Drive to his credit, Idaho legend) who just happened to be at the store in Banks when the 911 call came through. Conrad went down to the scene, borrowed a rescue squad drysuit, PFD, and helmet and got that shit done. I'm still trying to figure out why it took one passer-by to do what an entire rescue squad and the victim's own group could not.

Lesson: sometimes you have to get your hands dirty, or in this case your entire body cold and wet.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Talked to Conrad yesterday. He said the reports are a little exagerated. She was only pinned for like 50 minutes. Long time but still a lot shorter than 90. Everybody and their dog picked up the video. We (Paddlinglife) linked to it at the Idaho Statesman. The above link was on NBC but there was also one on CBS (I think they had it first)?

Funny, this stuff happens a lot but it's never caught on video. To bad it takes a scary, dramatic situation like this for national television to pick up a kayaking video.

Conrad is a super-stud though. Great dude to paddle with............

PS........................And any armchair judgments on rescue attempts are ridiculous. We're all geniuses after the fact. Everytime somebody makes a save and its posted on this site, someone has some brilliant piece of knowledge they think they need to pass along.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Smokey, if you are referring to me then get over it. I said I wasnt there but I will stand by statement that it was odd for him to let her go. Maybe there was a good reason but from the video I didnt understand. Wasnt judging at all, was more wondering about why it was a good idea. I think you are being a tad sensitive. I thought the guy did a great rescue and congratulate him on jumping out of the boat and onto the rock, very cool. Even had the composure to roll her up.

·
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
1,134 Posts
I always approach these types of things from the point of view of : What can I learn from this to help save my life or someone else's.

I'm a second year paddler who hasn't yet taken a swift-water rescue class (but will come Spring).

These are the questions I raise: they're not specific to the video in question, but they were raised because of what I saw in it.

Why didn't she just bail out?
(I suppose the easiest answer is that she could not).
The reason I ask is that, rather than be pinned and fighting the danger of hypothermic shock (and the critical loss of strength and judgement that entails), my thought would be to get out and swim for it.

I say this in part because it doesn't look like that bad a swim, but who knows what's downstream - for all I know it could be a 60-foot waterfall or a sieve.

Next Question:
Didn't seem like rescuer talked to her much. Not sure why that is. There's way to much to theorize here, but how did he know she would even be okay to swim, and wasn't already hypothermic?

What would he have done if she were so hypothermic that she was in serious danger? I guess that's why I need to take a SWR class... I wouldn't know what to do there, but once that boat were unpinned, I'd be afraid she could not pull the skirt and exit the boat. Overall, she did seem calm and had the minimal self awareness to stay in the boat I would hope to see.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Smokey, I was the only one that had commented on the video up to that point. If you werent referring to me then your right and I apologize.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think I need to preface this conversation which I didn't and should have. Sorry about that. My parents actually witnessed this fiasco because they were driving past and saw an empty boat floating down the river (below the scene). My sister jumped out and grabbed it and they drove the boat back to the site where they then witnessed CF's herorics. Plus this video doesn't actually show the whole scene, which is a shame. The CBS one did.

Conrad happened to be up in Banks looking for an X-mas tree. He was stopped at Banks store when he got the call. He quickly grabbed a ducky, threw on a lifejacket and helmet, and caught this tiny little eddy in front of that rock. He was facing downstream and backpaddled towards the pinned boater, yelling at her nicely to hold the stern of the ducky so he could get out and pull her off. She was stable enough and aware enough to hold the boat while he crawled back and pulled her off. Pretty sick.

More info: http://www.idahostatesman.com/235/story/61800.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
rescue on Payette

Here's a link to an AP page I got of the PDX boater page that shows a lot more of the rescue. You can see the water pounding against her back, her grabbing the raft, and how shallow the water is and how close she and the rescuer are to shore afterwards. Great footage, great rescue!

http://tinyurl.com/yxsqnq

·
Registered
745 Posts
Conrad and I paddled together on the nf of the payette this year. He is awesome and fun to watch when the shit hits the fan. I wondered the same thing about the rescue crews and why things took Conrad to make this happen in 2+ water, no real whitewater or hazzards below. Glad he was there. From the sounds of what went down, Conrad said he had to pull her 3 times as she was pinned hard. Momentum was the reason he couldn't hold the boat. As most of you probably know, when extracting a hard pin by pulling you have to commit all your weight to go where you want the boat to go. Great Job brotha, see you when the payette goes big in the spring.

Gary

1 - 14 of 14 Posts