Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been posted before, but I am looking for suggestions on where to take a swift water rescue class not too terribly far from Denver. If you know a good place or instructor to take the class with I would appreciate any input.

~Dave

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
My buddies and I did a weekend class with Nick early this season and it was great. Took a "standard" rescue class before, but learned a lot in Nick's class and have put a bunch of it to use this season.

How do you get out of your boat in a one boat eddy next to a cliff thats too deep to stand up in and your boat will wash downstream as soon as you get out? Nick will help you figure it out!

The class was worth it just to see Nick thow himself in any and every rapid (sans boat) on waterton at 1400 cfs. Fun times.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I'll third the Wigston recommendation. He did an excellent job and focused more on the practicality of SWR for kayakers. He puts more of an emphasis on being logical about the situation and a little less emphasis on the intense ropework side of things.

COUNT

·
http://www.matherrescue.com/I was in a course with Mike Mather last weekend and I thought it was frickin' outstanding. Best one I've ever been in. Don't know what Mike's schedule is like, but he said he is usually only in CO in June. He has been doing this for 17 yrs., so he has lots of stories and experience.
I hope to have Mike back next year for a course in the Denver area.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Without a doubt, take the course from mike mather

·
White R. BC
323 Posts
Swr

Check out the Colorado Whitewater site (and join). I just took a kayak oriented 2 day course in Buena Vista offered through them, taught by Miah Wheeler, and it was excellent. Very practical and hands-on.

·
Registered
558 Posts
not sure if there is still room, but I am teaching with Mike Mather for two advanced swiftwater rescue classes. You can sign up for them through CW's website. coloradowhitewater.com

the class dates are last weekend in july and first weekend in august.

thanks for the referrals guys.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Damn. Nick and Mather? You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
453 Posts
website correction

CW's website is coloradowhitewater.org.
The other one takes you to a commercial site.

Kim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the response guys... Nick thanks for getting back to me through e-mail. I'll be responding to it soon about whether the advanced course would work. I was thinking more along the lines of a first rather than advanced class being that I havent taken one yet and have paddled very little class V, but I'll get a hold of you about it.

~Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts