Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do folks think the sweet spot for a propane tank size it (volume wise)?

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
depends a lot on what you intend to run, power, etc.

I had a 11lb tank (lite cylinder recall) which I liked because it was compact. I now have a 17lb ragasco. Most trips I supply the propane, small group size 6-10 peeps. We usually have a second tank so we can run both a burner and the stove without having to swap tanks ...

you will need a larger tank for colder weather heating (mr Heater) or for longer trips or larger groups. For simple overnights I recharge a couple of the smaller 1lb tanks ... Never done a Grand trip but would probably want two tanks unless it was summer time ...

Really like the ability to gauge the amt of stuff in the tank like I can on the fiberglass tanks

Lou

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Weeklong trips, cold trips = 20 lb. tank. Maybe two of those depending on # of people.
Weekend trips = 5-10 lb. tank

·
Registered
373 Posts
I found this posted here and have tested it on many trips. Propane usage formula. 1/4lb per person per day. This includes hot dish water.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the 5 lb tanks too.
Which 5lb tanks are you guys using. Currently eying up the 17lb Ragasco. I have a bunch of the 1lb minis I use and refill all the time.

·
KegFloat
47 Posts
URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CAO4TSI/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"

Manchester tank or look at worthington tank on Amazon.

·
Shapp
1,871 Posts
another vote for standard 5 pound tank. They are small, fit in the dry box, easy to stash around the boat, and have multiple, 1 in each boat. Also spreads the risk in case of a catastrophy. I have the manchesters. We still had gas left over (1 tank trip with a small group lower salmon/grande ronde combo trip this summer). We don't geek out though with the gas like larger more conventional raft trips do. No blaster or 4 burner stove. But we do eat well!

Manchester Tank & Equip 5 LB Propane Tank Vertical Cylinder 10054.3

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmmm. I forgot to mention that I have a 1gal worthington as well. We've blown through that on a 1 week trip maybe by day 5. Lots of cooking including mornings. I like it because it fits perfectly inside a 5 gallon bucket. I just wish it was slightly larger - maybe didn't have the big concave bottom so as to have that extra capacity.

·
Registered
522 Posts
By the 1/4# per day recipe, an 11 # Ragasco will get two folks down the Grand. I think on most trips it is pretty wise to have more gas than one needs and have it spread out in more than one tank. Valves fail (or get left open) and flips happen.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I also like the 5 pound Worthington. It’s steel but not too heavy. We get six days out of the tank but our group is usually small, one boat and 2 or 3 people. We carry a two burner stove, no blaster, and eat great food. We use dutch ovens for a couple of dinners and also a breakfast or two. If I were in the market today, the sweet spot would be the smallest aluminum Worthington. I think it’s a 6 pound. For Spring and Fall trips, I usually try to keep a small backpack stove handy for mid-day tea or coffee.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Looks like one of the few composite options out there now in that volume is the Ragasco 11# tank. I found it PropaneProducts.com - Heaters, Parts, Regulators, Fittings, Repair for $117 plus shipping. Anyone find it or a similar composite tank somewhere else for less?
You can get the larger ragasco for less. Think I paid $90. They both have the same diameter and its not a lot of extra weight to carry in case you need the volume. I usually take mine with whatever gas is in it ( half full ) as I don't need to refill it as often.

Note those propane trees need an extra sand stake type item etc. to secure as they are designed to mount on the skinny lip of a steel container

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
I cannot remember where but I read once that blasters work better with the larger tanks 10-20#ers.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 36 Posts